Large signboards on non-residential sites - planning required?

Complainer

I've noticed some large signboards going up recently - two at a school and one at a creche. The school have the signs on their own land, and the creche have the sign on a neighbouring railing in the same development.

Do these signs need planning permission? Are there any limits about size or permanancy?

Thanks in advance.

Pretty good summary here

[broken link removed]

I hear some of the County Councils are starting to clamp down on the temporary signs on the sides of lorries that are appearing on roads.

Thanks MPSox - is there any rules about what constitutes an advertising sign? The school signboard basically just has the name of the school and the services available (day and boarding etc). Is this considered to be an advert?

Thanks MPSox - is there any rules about what constitutes an advertising sign? The school signboard basically just has the name of the school and the services available (day and boarding etc). Is this considered to be an advert?

This might help

[broken link removed]

given that you're talking about a private school that charges a fee ( I presume), then logic would say it is advertising it's services by such a sign. However I don't know if the school would need to be classified as a "business" (since it is fee charging) or gets an automatic exemption since it's a school. Probably the best place to go to is your local council's planning dept

Thanks again - looks like I'll have to get my measuring tape out to check the size of the signboard!

Does it really bother you that much?
Yep, it does. I've noticed more and more visual pollution these days, with every man and his dog putting up (what I presume are) unauthorised advertisements. Drive round the M50 roundabout at Blanchardstown and you'll see what I mean, with ugly, low-grade adverts taped to the railings.

Bothers me too. The lorries scattered around the countryside are an eyesore and a half. I understand that farmers are under pressure, but that's no reason to allow it.

Yep, it does. I've noticed more and more visual pollution these days, with every man and his dog putting up (what I presume are) unauthorised advertisements. Drive round the M50 roundabout at Blanchardstown and you'll see what I mean, with ugly, low-grade adverts taped to the railings.

I was asking specifically about the schools "advertising" on their own properties, not the general visual pollution.

can't say I've actually noticed the ads at Blanch and I've been driving that way for the last couple of weeks.

I was asking specifically about the schools "advertising" on their own properties, not the general visual pollution.
The answer is yes to both. I can't see any sign of a planning application for these signs at the school, and I'm pretty sure they exceed the size limit that would make them exempt from planning. One of the signs in particular was put up in a very inappropriate setting, against trees/grass/fields, and looks way out of place.

I am with Complainer on this one, I find the signs in general of a poor standard. White or yellow cheap flimsy/plastic signs with cable ties attaching them to various posts/poles/supports. Think election time and you get the idea. The lorries too are hideous.

Galway County Coucil are going to clamp down on them.

Waste of time if the other Councils don't follow suit!

Ironically, an advertising truck has now parked just beside one of the offending school signs for the past 2-3 weeks. I don't think it is illegally parked - unmetered area.

Does anyone know what are the rules about these trucks? Who is the enforcement body - is this a planning issue or a traffic issue?

Planning or Council Bye-Law could regualte it or sort it for you if you make a representation.

Could either be construed as a distraction or traffic hazard?

It might need some sort of a license fee.

And I think its class 9 Development.

Ring the local authority about the sign and the Gardaí about the truck.

ONQ.

Back