Laptop for €300

shaking

As the title says is it possible to get a laptop for this kind of money or would it be a piece of junk?

As the title says is it possible to get a laptop for this kind of money or would it be a piece of junk?

Boards.ie have good topics on thus laptop deals in the bargains sections. The IT experts there usually rip the specs apart fairly quickly

Well as someone else has pointed out, probably yes. But the big question is will it be able to do what you want it to do??? What kind of task to you need to perform on it and what applications are you intending to work with?

Thanks will check out boards. It's for college work so would be using Microsoft office and the internet

You can get Office Professional Plus 2013 for €69.95 from Software4students or cheaper if you have just graduated.

Acer Chromebook for 199 GBP here.

Chromebooks are the best selling cheap laptop these days.

All documents are saved in the cloud and you need to use Google Docs for spreadsheets etc

Thanks will check out boards. It's for college work so would be using Microsoft office and the internet

OK and what about any graphics tools - they tend to be the ones that eat memory....

At the moment I'd say you should be at least thinking about 4GB to have comfort working with it in any case.

LibreOffice is a decent free alternative to MS Office which can open and save in the MS Office file formats.
Acer Chromebook for 199 GBP here. Chromebooks are the best selling cheap laptop these days. All documents are saved in the cloud and you need to use Google Docs for spreadsheets etc
I'm tempted by this myself as it has a large hard disk drive (for a Chromebook anyway) . . but I'd replace Chrome OS with Ubuntu.

Acer Chromebook for 199 GBP here.

Chromebooks are the best selling cheap laptop these days.

All documents are saved in the cloud and you need to use Google Docs for spreadsheets etc

Interesting. I assume you need ubiquitous connectivity for this, or are files saved to the drive when offline and synchronised when online ? And would the Google Docs 'software' be available offline ?

It's a small screen, but I guess you're getting what you pay for.

Thanks for all the replies. It's a present for someone, we've 300 to spend but think maybe a laptop isn't the way to go.

Back