Laptop Backlight

sandrabing

Switched on laptop at weekend looked at photos for about 5 minutes before screen went dark..........didnt actually turn itself off I could hold it up to light and make out desktop enough to restart it. Just happened again, same scenario had been switched on 5 minutes etc. Because I can make out the screen barely I know there was no error message. Restarted again and its fine. But I am worried...any clues ??

Is there any chance your Power options (Start\Control Panel) have been changed? Usually the default setting for a laptop is to turn off the monitor after 15 mins. of inactivity — but that doesn't seem likely if you were in the middle of viewing photos, and in any case it should have come back on when you moved the cursor or hit a key... :confused:

How old is the laptop?

No dont think any of the settings have been changed or anything. Its about 18 months old and in good nick (or at least I thought so !) I am the only one with access to it so I know it hasn't gotten any abuse.
Its a tough one !!:confused:

Plug it into an external monitor and see if it happens on that. If it does then the problem is your sys board. Also, this might happen if there is no external power tio the laptop.

Back