Languedoc / Aquitaine

GL01

I am currently trying to decide between a gite in either the Languedoc region, near Alés, or in Aquitane region in the Dordogne valley.

I am wondering how reliable the weather is in June and July in these areas- I'm assuming the Languedoc would be warmer and sunnier.

Also, if anyone has any suggestion of things to see and do they would be much appreciated!

Can't comment on Acquitaine for these months but yes, Languedoc can get really quite hot during June/July - early 30s is not unusual and it can often be hotter.

Have been to Carcassonne and surrounding areas and would go again. The countryside around Carcasonne is nice and should have plenty of gites. There is also a good regular train service from there through various villages should you wish to visit Carcasonne. Some very nice fairly sleepy smaller towns nearby too e.g. Limoux.

having been to both, Languedoc is a lot more reliable for the weather. Plus you are close to Spain which is a bonus

The Languedoc would be roasting at that time of year. Don't know about Aquitaine.

There's an endless amount of things to do and see. Spent a month there last summer and would love to go back and see more.

If you like food and wine you'll find no shortage of good eating, markets and vineyards to visit in the region.

There's also many nice towns, villages and natural sights to see...Pont du Gard, Nimes, Oranges, Montpellier, the Carmargue, cirque du navacelles.

See the list on this site for an indication of some of the day trips that would be about an hour from Ales. I'm sure there are similar attractions closer to the town itself.

Have not been to Languedoc for years but heading back to Dordogne this year. It is fabulous. The weather is usually hot but prone to mist, thunderstorms and is generally cooler than the south coast, but that's part of the appeal. The river is a great resource, leisurewise. The towns are beautiful, Domme, Sarlat and Rocamadour, as well as Bergerac and Perigeux. Food is very good and reasonable. All in all it is an excellent holiday destination.

Slim

Back