Landscaping or rather raking & seeding a new site

Eve001

Been trying to get quotes for getting our site sort of landscaped. The digger's been and now someone needs to pick up the stones, fill the big holes and flatten the mounds. House is on just over an acre, the house itself fills about one third of this. Anyone any idea what the cost of raking and seeding is likely to be. I've call 5 guys who had ads in the local paper and so far 2 have not shown when the had said they would. Another is to come tomorrow, we'll have to live in hope. Gardeners are obviously not hungry for work. Any ideas on cost ?????

Depends on the site, soil conditions, location etc but at the moment you should be able to get it done for 2k. Make sure you clarify if the landscaper is supplying the seed or not.

Called 5 landscapers, all set dates and times for meeting, so far only 1 showed up. Nice guy but did a lot of sighing, said there was about 2 weeks work in it for a few guys and quoted 5k. We went out ourselves on Saturday and did a bit of experimental raking to see how long it would take to get through a decent sized patch. Our soil is sandy and it was surprising "easy" to do. May end up doing it ourselves in bitesized pieces. Other problem now is that our new neighbours have lots of dogs who will have to be kept out. Obviously there's not much downturn in gardening economy ...

Get onto a local farmer and ask if they have a power harrow, or know someone with one. A couple runs of this and you will have a pretty good. Still need to rake afterwards but will be way easier and quicker. I'd imagine a couple hundred would be all they'd look for.

Thanks for that, sounds like a good alternative to wasting my time calling landscapers who aren't interested in turning up.

May I ask what part of the country you are in? I got the lawn and sleepers done on new build garden in Wexfordlast year so there was a lot of levelling etc to be done. They had a stone burier also. Can give you their details if you wish.

Back