Landrover Discovery 4 - VRT Query

MFK

Thinking of buying the above and have seen one in Northern Ireland and wish to import into Rep of Ire. Car is 5 seater but i am told they are classified as Commercial. I am personal user and not a business so no VAT involved etc. Can anyone assist with what will be the VRT charge. If you go on revenue website there is a calculator but unsure if this vehicle can be classified as a Cat N. Appreciate any help.

You want it registered for private use.
Make sure to check out the road tax situation as well as VRT. Registering a commercial vehicle for private use will have road tax based on engine size rather than CO2 emissions, so it'll cost a fortune.

Assuming the vehicle in question is a 3L diesel:

This is a summary of the commercial vehicle road tax amounts from 2016

Weight kg 2016 Annual Tax

Under 3000 €333 (no change)
As interesting as that is, it's all completely irrelevant if it's registered for private use.

Do you have any link to prove yourself correct?
This is really basic stuff. You could try Google it, rather than telling me I'm wrong when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

I have a 3L diesel. I pay €333.
You have commercial tax - it's written on the tax disc. If you use the vehicle fur non-business use, you are doing so illegally. The OP wants the car for personal use.

Thanks for replies. The vehicle will be solely owned by me and used for personal and work travel. There seems to be mixed messages the more i speak to. Some say that the DIsco4 (and a few other vehicles) are classed as commercial (5 seater and not 7 seater) and that it is Category N1 from a revenue perspective. It is then insured as a commercial vehicle and has a DOE and not a NCT etc. Road Tax is €333. It seems it is a bit of a loophole but no one is certain and I don't want to be illegal either. All very confusing.....

Road Tax is €333

Is the commercial rate and only if you do not use the jeep for personal use. Your first time taxing it => you will have to prove that you are a company to be able to avail of the cheap €333 road tax. If you can't ... you will have to tax it at the horse power rate NOT based on CO2 emissions. A 2.2 ltr engine will cost you €951 euro or €994 depending on whether it's just under or over the 2.2 ltr.

All here:

https://www.carzone.ie/motoring-advice/motor-and-road-tax-prices-ireland-2017/1437

From the Kerry County Council website: "Commercial vehicles taxed privately are always taxed on engine cc."

https://www.kerrycoco.ie/home3/motor-tax/motor-tax-rates/

Tipperary County Council lists all you need so that you can tax it commercially:

https://www.tipperarycoco.ie/motor-tax/light-goodscommercial-vehicles

BUT => if you are going to use it in any private capacity (having jumped through all the hoops for the €333 road tax rate), you HAVE to tax it privately.

If you buy a jeep with a 3.2 ltr engine and end up having to tax it privately, you will end up with a whopping annual road tax bill of €1,809.00

The old system is applied to taxing a commercial vehicle privately => no way around this.

The rates are here:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/motortaxinfotype.do

It looks like the Landrover Discovery 4 is a 3.0 ltr vehicle so it will cost you €1494 annually.

As a private individual, you will be hard pushed to prove that you are going to be using a commercial vehicle for commercial work only.

You'll end up getting a bargain but you'll be hit with a big road tax bill annually.

Even if you pay it every 6 months, it will still cost you €829...

Oh.. and because it's a commercial, you will have to DOE it annually... roughly €120 every time you do.

The DOE has to be done on it, regardless of whether it ends up taxed commercially or privately.

(As an aside, I wouldn't touch a Landrover Discovery 4. My brother had a 131 and it gave him no end of trouble. The engine went in it and after a long battle, Landrover paid 90% towards its replacement. It was a known fault apparently. He couldn't wait to get rid of it.)

Last edited:
Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply, really appreciate the effort you put into it.

Back