Landlords refusing HAP

That ad deserves to be shown in all its glory....

"Beautiful house to let old killarney village walking destince from Lidl and town centre perfect for provisional couple or sharing as there is unsuited bathrooms in bedrooms privet parking large back yard and front all mod cons noRA €1000 pm ready asap call tracey for vewing"

Sounds like a scam to be honest. I feel a 'book through our secure site on AB&B' coming next.

Last edited:
I think im going soft.
I was just helping a colleague go through all the applicants for an apartment that she is renting and there are so many on HAP that she really likes the sound of.
She especially feels for the mothers with young children and would like to help them out.
And then she softened me up and I really feel like these people deserve a chance from reading their stories in their emails.
But I cant help but advise my colleague of the sh!t storm that she will bring on herself if she takes a Hap tenants. She'll have inspections and then have to pay thousands in pointless upgrades. Its just too much hassle to bring down on herself.
What kind of ridiculous system have we got that someone who actually wants to help out cant for fear that it would cost them too much money and hassle.

Point to note with your friend she didn't decide because of HAP! It was because of (insert reason that you can come up with that means she won't be discriminating against HAP applicants).
Look for two months deposit, one month ip front, references from employer, references from old landlord and meet them.

Point to note with your friend she didn't decide because of HAP! It was because of (insert reason that you can come up with that means she won't be discriminating against HAP applicants).
Look for two months deposit, one month ip front, references from employer, references from old landlord and meet them.

I would have thought most HAP tenants do not have an employer.

She was not discriminating against the hap tenants at all. Quite the opposite. It was the hap systes with the added costs and red tape that changed her mind to not accept hap tenants.
Accepting a happy tenant just brings piles of costs and work down on a landlord, through no fault of the tenant.

I would have thought most HAP tenants do not have an employer.

It's not unheard of for some to reduce working hours for a time in order to meet the eligibility criteria. I'm not saying it's in any way common, but it happens.

But I cant help but advise my colleague of the sh!t storm that she will bring on herself if she takes a Hap tenants. She'll have inspections and then have to pay thousands in pointless upgrades. Its just too much hassle to bring down on herself.
What kind of ridiculous system have we got that someone who actually wants to help out cant for fear that it would cost them too much money and hassle.

This is not true and is not my experience with Hap. I had no inspection and was not told to modify anything.

And if you're inspected and have to spend 'thousands' can you tell us on what and why? Sounds like an unfit property. Now maybe my properties are unfit, but until the powers that be tell me they are, I can only conclude that the councils have zero interest in me.

One thing I will agree with you on tough, that initally getting in HAP is bureaucratic in the extreme.

Unlike you though, I wouldn't have a soft spot for letters that look for sympathy. Prior record is all that is important. I wouldn't trust any letter.

You can read all about the people.who got inspected and got crucified .

Check over on boards.ie and you'll find loads of them.

Of the people I know personally who were inspected, there were various things that were good enough standard for your own home, but had to be "upgraded" for rental.

I hoph you don't get inspected because you are in or a shock if you do.

I hoph you don't get inspected because you are in or a shock if you do.

You wouldn't have a link to boards, I find that website impossible.

I don't mind a shock. Probably best not to upgrade and then they'll just give me basic stuff to do. With civil servants the worse you are the easier they are to deal with, they're just glad you do anything, so if you're the tops, they just ask you to go higher.

What do they do to you if you don't comply? Kick out the tenant's?

[QUOTE="PaxmanK, post: 1590236, member: 102697"
What kind of ridiculous system have we got that someone who actually wants to help out cant for fear that it would cost them too much money and hassle.[/QUOTE]

so you are advising your colleague to illegally discriminate against HAP claimants based on your misunderstanding of the system?
there is no hassle. One ten minute inspection, likely no changes needed unless the property is already well under standard. I've been present at HAP inspections, they are looking that you have a window in each bedroom, vents and fire alarms/CO2 alarms.

Back