Landlord wants to raise rent

Just because you're renting doesn't mean it's not your home. Can a landlord put a limit on the amount of times you can have someone stay over, how many visitors you can have because it'll affect wear and tear?

Yes he can, but it would have to be in the terms of contract.

reasonable to expect to be allowed to have 1 person per single and 2 people per double room without it adversely affecting wear and tear?

That would depend on the people, the landlord has a right to look for siutable tenants.

2 double rooms mean it was built to accomodate 4 people and I wouldn't think it unreasonable to put 4 people in there without the landlord being able to up the rent

That would depend on if there were allowances made for the fact that only 2 people were renting.

I suppose the question now is, can a landlord give permission for additional licencees renege on this verbal agreement?

Not worth the paper its written on I would say.

The fact that in this case the property is registered with the PRTB and says that it is suitable for 4 people would mean he has no grounds for denying the extra people here.

Of course he has grounds for refusal. So far we know nothing about the other two and are they dependable, good character etc. All we know is that the apartment has 4 bed spaces, but does it have adequate common living space 2 bathrooms etc that a doubling in tenants could bring about. As this is in its infancy the tenant should either renegotiate terms or move on cause the whole set up seems to be a bit of a shambles.

Raskolnikov. I think you were wise to do that. For two reasons. He wanted to up the rent when he had no "right", and 2. he came into the apartment without permission. I think that establishes a precedent that he would continue to disregard the law, and your rights. Perhaps because he is simply unaware of how to manage the rental properly according to the law and best practise.

I would also say that agreeing a contract then trying to change it afterwards (for whatever reason) isn't a good way to build a relationship of trust between you and your landlord. You need to know what you can and can't do, make sure thats in the contract and that both landlord and tenant clearly understand whats in it.

Do you have any links to where the law deferenciates between a licencee and a tenant for the purpose of renting accomodation etc. I can't find that term mentioned. All I can find relating to this subject is the following.

The PRTB have a good document which describes a licensee here:
[broken link removed]

Licensees in private rented accommodation are not tenants as there has been no tenancy entered into by them with the landlord. While the tenant is under a statutory obligation to inform the landlord of the identity of any person resident in (rather than just visiting) the dwelling, the landlord will not be in a position to accept or veto the individual concerned in the way that he/she could with a prospective tenant.

Dont have time for a proper reply right now but just to confirm to anyone doubting-

as a tenant you are NOT ALLOWED to licence a room or sub-let a room when you have a signed contract (they didnt yet I know) The legal difference betweern a licencee and sub-letter does not apply as a tenant is not permited to licence a room without the prior knowledge of the landlord.

Dont have time for a proper reply right now but just to confirm to anyone doubting-

as a tenant you are NOT ALLOWED to licence a room or sub-let a room when you have a signed contract (they didnt yet I know) The legal difference betweern a licencee and sub-letter does not apply as a tenant is not permited to licence a room without the prior knowledge of the landlord.
I understand tenants can not sub-let without permission from the landlord but the same does not apply for adding licensees. A landlord can not stop someones partner or friend or family from moving in with them. Can you provide a link that says otherwise?

The following comes from the PRTB's Licensee document that I linked to earlier:

A licensee residing in a private rented dwelling is living there at the invitation of the tenant as the arrangement enabling a licensee to live in rented accommodation is made with the tenant and not with the landlord.

Like I have already stated, he has insisted that if we are to remain in the apartment during the period of notice, we must pay the extra rent. We have decided not to do this and have now subsequently left the apartment. The deposit was returned in full.
Probably the best course of action considering the landlords blatant disregard for your rights. Best of luck with the new place.

I understand tenants can not sub-let without permission from the landlord but the same does not apply for adding licensees. A landlord can not stop someones partner or friend or family from moving in with them. Can you provide a link that says otherwise?

The following comes from the PRTB's Licensee document that I linked to earlier:

Its seems that you have to inform the landlord of licensees but thats really all it says about it. Which would indicated you could bring in an unlimited number of people in as licensees. Which seems unreasonable IMO.

I wonder can you exclude licencees on the tenancy agreement?

I wonder can you exclude licencees on the tenancy agreement?
I think by their nature they are almost always excluded from the tenancy agreement. If they were on the tenancy agreement they would probably be considered tenants.

I meant can you exclude the tenant from bringing in any licencees' on the tenants rental agreement. Or is the bringing in of licencee's a tenants right?

Seems a large loophole that you can sign up one tenant and they can bring in 20 licencees'.

I meant can you exclude the tenant from bringing in any licencees' on the tenants rental agreement. Or is the bringing in of licencee's a tenants right?
Ah sorry, misread you the first time. I don't see anything to stop a landlord putting a maximum occupancy clause in the lease which would effectively prevent the tenants from bringing in extra people as licensees.

Back