Landlord responsible for theft by previous tenant?

M

markb

Hi, my flat was robbed last Sat night - digital camera, laptop, cd etc. I do not have insurance and it will cost me to replace these items. The Gardai agree that the person/people responsible obviously had a key as there was no break in. They had 2 keys actually - outer door and key to my flat. The other 2 flats were untouched. My question is has the landlord any responsibility in this matter and would I have any claim against his insurance? I have not been able to talk to him yet as he is abroad on holiday.

hard to prove

Hi Mark

While I sympathise with your situation, I think you will find yourself in a situation whereby you will have to take the cost of losing your stuff. Albeit you and the Gardai agree that it was an inside job, can you prove it? If I was a landlord and someone apporached me claiming a former tenant had robbed them and that I therefore shared the responsiblity I am afriad I would not entertain their claim for too long.

Not what you wanted to hear I am sure but I am afraid that is probably the reality of the situation. The only thing you could get the landlord to do, is get the locks changed to prevent it happening again

landlord

"Not what you wanted to hear I am sure but I am afraid that is probably the reality of the situation. The only thing you could get the landlord to do, is get the locks changed to prevent it happening again "

No, it is not what I wanted to hear but it is the reply I expected. Thanks anyway.

Back