Landlord looking for mattress cleaning advice.

Draigean

I'm about to rent out my house. The mattress of the master bedroom is a 5 year old Sealy, so it's got a good few years left in it.
However, the surface has stains.
(If this sounds disgusting to you, I advise that you never go on holidays, and if you do, don't look under the bedsheets. Compare two people in five years with five people in two weeks...).

Have any posters/readers successfully removed such stains? If so, what product did you use?
I've googled it, but there is more opinion than advice, and no actual products mentioned, just 'detergent', etc. I'm thinking mild Domestos?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't know how you can clean it, but I supply mattress covers for my rented properties.

I'm about to rent out my house. The mattress of the master bedroom is a 5 year old Sealy, so it's got a good few years left in it.
However, the surface has stains, mainly urine I assume.
(If this sounds disgusting to you, I advise that you never go on holidays, and if you do, don't look under the bedsheets. Compare two people in five years with five people in two weeks...).

Have any posters/readers successfully removed such stains? If so, what product did you use?
I've googled it, but there is more opinion than advice, and no actual products mentioned, just 'detergent', etc. I'm thinking mild Domestos?

Thanks.

May not be urine; mine is stained as I have twice spilled coffee in bed.. looks much the same.

Bleach will help but there will usually be a mark still, so covers are the real answer.

Keeping your Sealy bedding clean is simple with the use of a protective mattress pad. Vacuuming is the only recommended cleaning method. If you must clean a stain, use mild soap with cold water and apply lightly! Don’t ever soak a mattress or foundation, and don't use dry cleaning fluid of any type on your mattress—these chemicals could damage some of the comfort and upholstery materials.

Keeping your Sealy bedding clean is simple with the use of a protective mattress pad.

I've had a mattress cover on it since I've had the mattress. I've never heard of a "protective mattress pad" but this sounds like a case of shwhch?

A new mattress?

If I were a prospective tenant and I viewed a place with a mattress that was stained with urine or smelled of household bleach, you can be sure Id get out of there and never look back. Its pretty disgusting to suggest that its acceptable to rent a property with a urine stained mattress.

If you use bleach on it it could easily damage someones skin too.

I see youve posted this over on boards.ie as well where people are being a bit more vocal about how gross it is to knowingly provide a urine stained mattress in a rental.

A new mattress?

If I were a prospective tenant and I viewed a place with a mattress that was stained with urine or smelled of household bleach, you can be sure Id get out of there and never look back. Its pretty disgusting to suggest that its acceptable to rent a property with a urine stained mattress.
I'd have to agree with you and I'm a Landlord.

I would never leave a stained mattress for new tenants. I cover my mattresses with a waterproof protector and a soft protection on top of it so it's doesn't rustle when you move in bed.

When tenants move in, I tell them they can remove the soft cover to wash it and I provide a second one to facilitate this, but I specifically tell them not to remove the waterproof cover.

If they do, and the matress is stained when they leave, the cost of a new mattress will be deducted from their deposit.

Change the matress and do the above.

Oh yuck! Have to say I'd far prefer a new cheap mattress than a more expensive one containing the previous occupant's waste bodily fluids!

A young relative is currently looking to rent, I must tell him to check the mattress in case he's unfortunate enough to find the OP's property or that of a similiar-minded landlord.

Easy solution.

Take the stained mattress home with you to sleep on and put your ( presumably clean) mattress in the rental.

After all, you surely should not be accepting money for a place or furniture you would not live in yourself.

Although from some of the places we have rented or rejected one would wonder.

Take the stained mattress home with you to sleep on and put your ( presumably clean) mattress in the rental.

It IS the OPs mattress, the original post says that the OP is about to rent out their own house. Presumably thats how he/she knows its urine.

However, the surface has stains, mainly urine I assume.

Further to this thread, what do the parents of children who have urinated on the mattress do with the mattress?

It IS the OPs mattress, the original post says that the OP is about to rent out their own house. Presumably thats how he/she knows its urine.

Oh yukk.. that changes everything! REALLY!

Thank you; I had not read it properly.

New mattress needed for tenants and yes, still take the dirty one to wherever you are living!

Have you investigated getting the mattress steam cleaned? I'm also confused as to why you would assume the mattress is urine stained? If you were aware of any 'accidents' I would like to think these would have been dealt with at the time?!! It seem much more likely that the stains are due to sweat, given adults are rumored to shed a litre a night and without a mattress protector your mattress wouldn't stand a chance!! still very unpleasant for any prospective tenant though and would definitely recommend changing it, but if you're determined not to change the mattress have you tried flipping it over?

It has always amazed me that only in Ireland houses come fully furnished including mattress. Tenants really should provide their own or landlord should provide a new one with each change of tenancy.

A clever needlewoman could of course sew a top onto any mattress.

Any germs etc will be dead after all by now.

But it is tacky, very tacky indeed.

I have to say I did not check too closely when I came here. After 18 hours on the road I just covered the mattress, made the bed and crashed.

Since then there is certainly a stain from my coffee dropping episode.

You know what... I was doing some ironing the other night and I noticed similar stains on the ironing board. And I've never slept on the ironing board!!!

So, I guess my presumption was wrong, those stains could be anything at all.

So, any other posters able to stay on-topic and answer my question, i.e. "...what product did you use?"

To throw a bit of reality into this situation...

If you Bing "how to remove stains from a ", mattress is the third predictive fill... after toilet and bathtub.

surely a 5 year old mattress in a rental property is now "end of life"

Jeez - I have the creeps now, just thinking of all the dodgy places I rented over 15 years in Dublin. I'm NEVER gonna rent again!

Back