Landlord ending tenancy advice plz

@SashaNiG I 1000% agree your landlord has been a complete dick by just sending a letter without calling you first and discussing it,

It is often better to deal with a difficult issue formally rather than calling and discussing.

@SashaNiG and written with such a tone,

The wording of the letter

"Your tenancy will terminate on 15/8. You must vacate and give up posseion of the property on or before this date. The reason for termination of the tenancy is the landlord requires the property for a family member to occupy. You have the whole of the 24hr of the termination date to vacate the property.Any issue with this notice or the right of the landlord to serve it must be referred to Residential Tenancis Board under part 6 of the residential tenancis act within 28 days. Day 1 of the notice begins from day after this notice is served."

is in effect dictated by the RTB. Although the landlord in this case may not have gotten everything right, the phraseology is from the RTB letter template.

You have gotten on well with the landlord for 2 years. He has issued you with a notice to end the tenancy. Fair enough this should have been 56 days notice and not 28 days, that was a mistake by the landlord. But what exactly are you hoping to gain from going down the route of the RTB?

I would contact the landlord, explain that you are entitled to 56 days notice. He/She will probably say fine, I'll re-issue the notice, apologises I made a mistake. Heck, if you need a week or two extra to find a place he/she might accommodate you also. Remember, your next landlord is going to ask for a reference from your last landlord. If I was your new landlord, I wouldn't want you if you reported me to the RTB for something as trivial as getting the notice period wrong.

You are annoyed that your tenancy is ending, fair enough, but its the landlords property and he/she can do with it as they want. But it seems the only error was the notice period and not naming the relative moving in. This can be sorted fairly quickly and amicably between you and landlord. That's how I would resolve it anyway and stay civil.

Listen Im not looking to be awkward, if the landlord wants his house back he can have it its his house,no issue with that.Yes as you suggested im annoyed the tenancy is ending but its his choice and I respect that,im not malicious person,Im not wanting to be awkward. All im wanting is the 56 day notice that I am entitled to. I have contacted the landlord previously as you have also suggested. I told him I was entitled to 56 days that i was looking and hopefully wouldn't need the entire 56 days.His response was you got the notice 28 days,move to a different town and hung up.
But he is being completely unreasonable,Ive made the approach to him to keep it civil and so there is no problems between us. I've asked for the 56 days he is refusing to even respond to me now,so I dont want have any other choice.Hes only making things worse not me.

@SashaNiG I would just echo what some others have said here. As somebody who began renting out an apartment for the first time last year, all the requirements can be fairly daunting and frankly kinda scary, for the very reason that some posters here are suggesting you go from "good tenant" to "filing complaints and trying to stay in the place as long as possible". I 1000% agree your landlord has been a complete dick by just sending a letter without calling you first and discussing it, however my feeling on it is that it is their property at the end of the day and if they want you out it is only a matter of time so why bother trying to force it to eek out a few more months. You'll spend that time seriously stressed out wondering what is coming next (landlord maybe calling, knocking at the door, no reference to move on, issues with getting your deposit back, whatever) - it's very easy for posters here to tell you to do it sitting behind their keyboard in the comfort of their homes, but life is too short to put yourself through that.

My suggestion is as per somebody else above; call the landlord, say upfront that you were disappointed after having a good relationship that they would send a letter like that unannounced and written with such a tone, but that you want to move on from it. Then state that the notice clearly isn't valid but you're not going to report it to the RTB and to drag it out for months or get into any of that, you just want enough time to find a new place and given the way the market is in this country you think 60 days is fair (or whatever you think is fair), which brings it up to XXth September and if he re-issues the letter stating that date you'll be more than happy to comply.

I completely agree with everything you said completly. Im not wanting to be awkward or stay for months. I just want the time im entitled to. I contacted him told him it was 56 days ,but hopefully id find somewhere before that and wouldn't require it all. His response was 28 days ,move to a different town if you have to and hung up. Hes not responding to me at all now. I have no problem moving out,of course im annoyed but it is what it is,I dont need the stress and am not a malicious person,if i found somewhere in the morning I would move but its the summer season,and in case I cant find something fast, I need to know from him that hes agreeable to 56 days but hes not responding.
I get what lots of posters are saying about tenants sometimes trying to be awkward or refusing to leave, and im not like that its his house,I appreciate him letting me stay there always have. But it works both ways, not just awkward tenants,my landlord is being totally unreasonable. There is no need for it to be an issue but hes making it one.

@SashaNiG... there is procedures in place to protect both sides. Whether he likes it or not he agreed to these procedures as soon as he started to rent out. This landlord has made his own bed and is a law to himself. I would never treat my tenants like this even if I needed the place myself. We are in a middle of a housing crisis and 28 days is not enough time to find somewhere else. You might be pushing it at 56. He only has himself to blame if you go down the rtb route. Fairness works both ways.

Last edited:
Listen Im not looking to be awkward, if the landlord wants his house back he can have it its his house,no issue with that.Yes as you suggested im annoyed the tenancy is ending but its his choice and I respect that,im not malicious person,Im not wanting to be awkward. All im wanting is the 56 day notice that I am entitled to. I have contacted the landlord previously as you have also suggested. I told him I was entitled to 56 days that i was looking and hopefully wouldn't need the entire 56 days.His response was you got the notice 28 days,move to a different town and hung up.
But he is being completely unreasonable,Ive made the approach to him to keep it civil and so there is no problems between us. I've asked for the 56 days he is refusing to even respond to me now,so I dont want have any other choice.Hes only making things worse not me.
Well in light of that, u are left with no option to report it to RTB. Best of luck with everything.

I have contacted the landlord previously as you have also suggested. I told him I was entitled to 56 days that i was looking and hopefully wouldn't need the entire 56 days.His response was you got the notice 28 days,move to a different town and hung up.

Dreadful carry on. You're legally entitled to 56 days and you should get it. You're paying your rent, you're (were) on good terms with the landlord, he's treated you shabbily, he's not professional, he's rude and you've done absolutely nothing wrong. I highly suspect this is about a rent increase. Let us know how you get on with the RTB please.

Back