Landlord advice concerning tenant removal of furniture (and impact on deposit during existing lease)

I stopped reading after the first line when you said "they put stickers up over the white tiles in the kitchen". If this unsets you, you have no business being a landlord.
Seems a bit daft responding then really, no? Almost like you've no real interest in helping.

Sadly I am a landlord. Not by choice, but such is life. We can only play the cards we are dealt.

Because it stops you getting stressed about it. Glass half full etc. Because you might approach the issue differently.

Other than a stern talking to. There is nothing you can do...
Im struggling with the advice here. Are you suggesting I should just suck this up and do nothing?
It sounds like you don't think a 'stern talking' is of value (apologies it I'm misrepresenting you) and that you feel I'd be best not mentioning the deposit in the fear they recognise its diminishing value.

Surely doing nothing is the very worst idea? (it's just burying your head in the sand)

Ah, it just occurred to me that when I said "stickers" it might be understood that it's a few badges or similar.

Not that it make too much difference I suppose, but what I mean was a decal that entirely covers all the tiles and grouting with a pattern/image.

Did you claim 12.5% capital allowance of the €1000 bed over the last 5 years and the next 3 ?

Ah, it just occurred to me that when I said "stickers" it might be understood that it's a few badges or similar.

Not that it make too much difference I suppose, but what I mean was a decal that entirely covers all the tiles and grouting with a pattern/image.
Decals can be removed by heat. A hairdryer held near them would work. The property seems to have emotional significance for you. If this is the case accepting no one will look after it like you can help. Employing an agent to deal with your property would remove the need for you to have any further conversations with your tenants. The cost can be offset against your tax. Failing that give your tenants notice and move in yourself to satisfy the legislation.

Decals can be removed by heat. A hairdryer held near them would work. The property seems to have emotional significance for you. If this is the case accepting no one will look after it like you can help. Employing an agent to deal with your property would remove the need for you to have any further conversations with your tenants. The cost can be offset against your tax. Failing that give your tenants notice and move in yourself to satisfy the legislation.
That will depend largely on the glue used no? But that's an aside and was used to provide context.

I think we're sidetracking, and if I'm honest I don't think your being fair re emotional attachment.

The issue here is a) the removal of property without discussion and b) and emerging pattern of behaviour to act unilaterally and without consulting when it comes to items/property not belonging to them.

This raises considerable concern when looking forward and this concern is underpinned by the weakening of the deposit.

That will depend largely on the glue used no? But that's an aside and was used to provide context.

I think we're sidetracking, and if I'm honest I don't think your being fair re emotional attachment.

The issue here is a) the removal of property without discussion and b) and emerging pattern of behaviour to act unilaterally and without consulting when it comes to items/property not belonging to them.

This raises considerable concern when looking forward and this concern is underpinned by the weakening of the deposit.
My point was if you have previously had an attachment to the property it can be hard to be impartial re fittings etc., I wish you the best of luck in the future.

My point was if you have previously had an attachment to the property it can be hard to be impartial re fittings etc., I wish you the best of luck in the future.
That's totally fair enough, and a good point regardless.
Thanks! I do appreciate your input. Everything is a sense check.

Have a good one; you too.

I think it's difficult to have zero attachment to a property you paid for and you probably worked in and maintained. I never lived in my rental property. Each time a tenant left and I discovered issues except with one tenant, and each time I am annoyed and have to spend a couple of weeks working in it. I think the removal of furniture warrant a letter to inform them that you expect them to replace the items before leaving and that no further items should be removed without permission as well as an inspection. Furniture needs to be replaced over time. However I would not expect to have to replace a bedframe on a regular basis. At the end of the day, they were yours not theirs and most people would see that. If they didn't want the bed, they could have informed you and you could have taken the decision to store it. Of course rental is a business and there are worst things that can happen to a landlord. But as a business, you try to limit your expenses as much as you can.

I think it's difficult to have zero attachment to a property you paid for and you probably worked in and maintained. I never lived in my rental property. Each time a tenant left and I discovered issues except with one tenant, and each time I am annoyed and have to spend a couple of weeks working in it. I think the removal of furniture warrant a letter to inform them that you expect them to replace the items before leaving and that no further items should be removed without permission as well as an inspection. Furniture needs to be replaced over time. However I would not expect to have to replace a bedframe on a regular basis. At the end of the day, they were yours not theirs and most people would see that. If they didn't want the bed, they could have informed you and you could have taken the decision to store it. Of course rental is a business and there are worst things that can happen to a landlord. But as a business, you try to limit your expenses as much as you can.
Dont sweat the small stuff might be the answer here.perhaps!!

Back