Land Swap - deal??

redbhoy

The government announced today that it would be giving state owned land in the centre of Dublin to a developer who will in turn build low cost affordable housing.
Would it not have been better to sell the land in the city to the developer and then used the money gained to build the affordable housing which no doubt be built on more government owned land??
This smells of a big profit to the maFFia backers!

Judging by the ability of governments and civil servants to negotiate in the past, be it the OPW, or Co. Councils, or indeed Minsiters, you can be sure that this developer is getting a better deal than the state.

Fair play to him. I've gone past caring about these people who profit from state incompetence. The more it happens the quicker the day will come when we tackle it. As a country a couple of swift kicks to the nuts might be just what we need to get our house in order. My only worry is we'll end up with some 10 year Tribunals to sift through all the dealings at great expense.

At least we've got Michael Noonan and John McGuiness (Only FF TD I respect). on the case.

-Rd

I agree redbhoy. This country seems to be run on back handed deals. To do things legitamately obviously goes against the principals of FF ... shame on you ... you will not get my vote next time round ... corrupt to the marrow.

In the 1960's there was general bad humour in Ireland about the amount of land and property bought by non-Irish (particularly Dutch, German and French people who fancied a bit of coast-line or river-frontage to enjoy their sports and hobbies, or 'holiday-homers'. No-one did anything and nothing changed. Now Joe Public feels ripped off by new forms of 'deals' and 'back-handers'.

I have no doubt from personal experience these exist in Ireland as they do everywhere..........however 'bucking the system' appears to be more prevalent and flagrant in the State than in most other European countries, at least. With due respect "waiting" for something to change can hardly be construed as "action" to redress anomalies in the behaviour of publicly-accountable officials. What (if anything) can be done about this?

I have no problem with the developer. Fair play to him if he can get a great deal out of inept officials. Similarly fair play to the landlord who made a fortune from the OPW during/after the renovation of the Court in Cork.

And to all those who made fortunes renting and selling buildings for use by asylum seekers who never materialised. Ot to the farmer who sold is lands at many times their value for a prison. Fair play to them all.

The more people get rich in these ways and the bigger the windfalls they get the more likely it is that people will sit up and take notice of what's happening.

-Rd

Back