La Rochelle Hotel v Self Catering Accomodation

Fleur

Hi. Just booked flights to La Rochelle this Summer and as we won’t be driving ideally I’d like somewhere central, close to restaurants, beach, water activities etc. Does anybody know if it’d be better to stay in Ile de Ré or La Rochelle centre? Also, has anybody experiences of using ownersdirect.co.uk? I’ve read posts regarding recommended hotels and am trying to decide if own apartment or hotel would be best for one week. Thanks.

I have always favoured not staying in a hotel for holidays (especially in France):-
1. There is so much gastronomic talent, it would be a shame to confine yourself to hotel food (I am not criticizing hotel food).
2. You have so much more freedom in an holiday home and probably more facilities.
3. With so much magnificent food available, you have the choice of cooking-in or not. (might save a few bob in current climate).
4. You hit the nail on the head regarding private rental, more facilities again available and no arguing over availability of sunbeds etc.
5. Low cost travel is widely available now.
6. Car-hire is much cheaper on the continent than in Ireland.
7. No need to look like Posh Spice at breakfast.

Fluer Google Tripadvisor.... the forum on France has some write ups on La Rochelle and hotel accommodation there.

We spent a week in Ile de Re a few years ago, we loved it. We stayed in the Pierre et Vacances accommodation, it's right in the centre and has a pool. Very pleasant surroundings. We rented a car though, but there's a bus or some other public transport (taxi if stuck) to Ile de Re from La Rochelle.

I always spend a few days in La Rochelle and a few days in Ile de Re. There was a decent Best Western I stayed in La Rochelle.

I also like Hotel la Jette in St. Martin on Ile de Re. I also stayed in a lovely small hotel in La Flotte as well.

I love La Rochelle and Ile de Re.

Going to try to book an apartment even though most seem to take bookings from Sat- Sat only in peak season. (We got cheap mid week flights). If not there seems to be plenty of hotels to choose from. Thanks for your comments.

La Rochelle is a good base. Why not break your holiday in two. A few nights in La rochelle and a few in Ile de Re. You can get the bus no 3 from the bus station at Place de Verdun to Ile de Re for a few Euro. When are you going? There is a great firework display in La Rochelle to coincide with their annual boat show. Saw it last year and it was fantastic. St. Martin is lovely on Ile de Re.

I'd say you'd need a car if staying on Ile de Re, buses or bikes available, but seems a bit isolated to me.

Hi,

I would stay in La Rochelle. Just back from France, went to il de re. Was planning on staying there but found it so boring and uninspiring ... Its worth a days trip, thats all. The beaches are not great, the little villages are nice but thats it.

Back