Kudos to D.I.D. Electrical, Sundrive!

coolaboola

Bought a Miele Cat and Dog 700 vacuum cleaner at DID Electrical on Sundrive Road on Saturday. I'd done a bit shopping around for prices and found PowerCity offering the vacuum for €264.95. DID's price was €284.95. As DID Electrical are more local to me and generally better customer service than PowerCity I called DID and asked would they match the PowerCity price which they did. (They don't do the 'double the difference' deal anymore). So kudos to DID for not dragging their heels when it came to meeting this customers demands! (And the vacuum cleaner is very good too!)

Well done on shopping around and haggling. No kudos to DID for having the higher standard price though.

I detest the practice of a business agreeing to match a competitor's prices when challenged by a customer. It means that those customers who don't know of this policy, or who are not sufficently strong-willed to negotiate, get ripped off. It also erodes the motivation for the likes of Power City to offer keener prices if all they are doing helping their more expensive competitors to generate more turnover. Fair dues to Power City for leading the way!

To be fair to DID their standard price was the same as in Discount Electrical and other outlets I checked (a quick thing to do on-line). Appartently its a standard price that Miele set but PowerCity had undercut.

Ubiquitous, I'm not sure its DID policy to match the price ... there were a couple of calls to their head office by the sales assistant before they'd agree to it. However it's the customer's perogative to know the score before making a purchase (and that includes price checking) and demanding the best deal. If DID didn't match the price I would have trotted off to Power City but DID are local to me and offer better customer service so with the price playing field leveled it was just a matter of convienence and customer service ... and DID won on both counts... Oh dear, I'm beginning to sound like an ad for DID ... I don't have any affiliation to them, just a happy customer.

coolaboola said:
Appartently its a standard price that Miele set but PowerCity had undercut.
Kudos to Power City for having the lowest price on this item so.

I had the same with DID (mountjoy sq) the day after I bought and paid for all my applicances I found powercity had 1 appliance for €40 or €60 chearper ...can't remember which it was.

I dropped into them with a prinout from the powercity site (model number was missing but I had rang PC and they confirmed the model number) One quick call to their head office and they refunded me the difference without any hastles... its their policy to match any competitors but they did claim it was hard for they to keep on top of every price.

I went to Powercity to price my appliances first of all. Total came to 1500 – I’m fairly handy at the bargaining but they would take 50 quid and not a penny more off. He printed out the quote for me.

Went to DID and quoted prices – sales assistant wouldn’t believe them so I showed him the printed quote. He was genuinely shocked at the prices and started coming up with all sorts of excuses: “Hotpoint don’t import 1500 spin washing machines directly to Ireland cos of the damage it can do to your clothes so that must be imported from elsewhere, in some country like…….(pause to think of a ‘dodgy’ sounding country)…..Bulgaria or, em, Romania…and though it has Hotpoint on the front it probably has different parts and would be hard to get fixed” – what a load of bull.

They don’t sell Powerpoint dishwashers cos “They are dodgy” but I told him its what I wanted so if he wanted to quote me he had to include it and he did but he really could not believe PCs price on it. Gave me a spiel about how PC stock dodgy gear like Beko (which is in contradication which much of what I have read here and elsewhere).

At this point I had my mind made up that I was going back to PC so was forward with the ‘In fairness, they haven’t just beaten your prices, they have destroyed them’ and the ‘so what does your item for item comparison work out at as it does not look like the Lowest Price Guaranteed to me’……more senior sales guy arrives over and though he is shocked at the prices simply says ‘give him the 1400 HP washer and beat the quote by 50 quid’……and so he did though he was bitter as hell about it…..lol he even said ‘there goes half my wages this week’ so I said ‘if you’re trying to make me guilty its not gonna work buddy’ and in fairness to him he laughed at that.

So I get 50 quid off and the better AFTER sales service from DID, note I’m stressing the after part as I was not impressed with their initial approach and theres very few customers would have handled it like I did to get to that end point but I’m delighted with it so kudos to me, and PC for genuinely displaying their bottom line prices, and kudos to DID for (eventually) keeping their lowest price guarantee.

....what a load of bull.

If a business is prepared to lie to you in order to generate a sale, then I don't know how you can have confidence in them not to lie to you again when you need after-sales assistance.

As a by the way I wouldn't touch a Powerpoint dishwasher, my folks had two of them replaced in one year and eventually they opted for a Bosch.

Back