Krakow. Poland

Ash

Krakow, Poland

A small group of us are going to Krakow in Poland at the end of March for a couple of days.
Does anybody have advice on hotels based on personal experience, also what not to miss when there? A few of the group are keen photographers and would like to get some interesting photographs, the rest of us are along to see the sights and soak up the atmosphere.
Are there any drawbacks to Krakow? Any bad stories to counter the good?

Krackow is one of the best places on the planet. Its cheap and beautiful. Two day trips from there not to be missed are Austwitz ( eeerie and sad, but worth a look) and the saltmines, just outside the town. Austwitz needs no explainig, the saltmines are 300 metres underground and have housed 1000's of miners underground. Nowadays its a huge tourist site, and has seen most recent us presidents visit it. It would be a great thing for the photographers to see, for example there is a huge hall, with chandilers and a statue of pope john paul II. ( All made from salt rock) make sure you go on an english speaking tour. Get a bus from the main train station, cost about 4 zl (1Euro). Enjoy

Sorry,

forgot about accomodation. Why not rent an apartment. We did and found them excellent. Do a google search for OLD TOWN APARTMENTS .COM.

ShaneMc, If someone suffered from claustrophobia would you recommend that they visit the saltmines? Is it via lift, stairs?

Hi I can recommend the Regent in the old Jewish Quarter tho it is so nice and cheap its hard to get booked there. Check out Tripadvisor for others. I too would recommend the Salt Mines, about 400 steps down to the bottom on a wooden stairs but its grand. Not claustrophobic when you get down as the roofs are quite high and the passages, generally wide. It does however take 21/2 to 3 hours for the tour but as ShaneMc says, it well worth a visit. Most of the buildings, especially around the castle, are good for photographers.

Check out the Cathedral domes and the Castle courtyard - I got some great photos there in the snow last Dec. Also the Jewish quarter, Kazmierz -spelling probably wrong- but it has great old world atmosphere and hardly changed much in the last 50 years or so it seems.Old shops abound there like what you would have found here decades ago. People are lovely and helpful, fair amount of younger ones with good English, food cheap, drink very cheap, easy city to get around. Tourist office in old tower building on Old Square very helpful, will advise you about cheapest way to take trip to salt mines, etc. Private minibuses we took cost 2.5 zloty each way and 40 zloty for the entrance to mine itself and guided tour. A little extra to take a camera in. Can't say one bad thing about Krakow except it rained a lot during our visit but sure we are well used to take? Oh and we liked it so much we return for another visit in March!

The Hotel Senacki in Krakow is excellent. Its half way between the castle and the main square.

Plan your trip to the salt Mines for the end of your trip.
Your legs will be a tad sore after walking down all those steps...
It's worth it ..I can remember looking down the middle of the stairs at the lights all the way to the bottom.WOW
Austwitz was fantastic..Go early and give your self plenty of time.
We arranged a taxi from our hotel.The taxi brought us to Austwitz and then brought us the 2/3 Km to Birkenau and waited once more before dropping us home.....All for around 50 quid..Well worth it for the comfort
We stayed in Hotel Polski which is practically in the centre...It is right beside the Florian gate....We had the most beautiful room ..

Whats shopping like in Poland in general? Any good markets? Local craft? Art? Sounds like a really interesting place to visit!

The Radisson SAS is a fantastic hotel, right in the centre, literally a five minute walk to Old Square

Have to say, the response has been brilliant and full of great information.
Thanks everyone. :)
Just to clarify, for an Irish citizen only a valid passport is necessary to get in (and out) of Poland, right?

Hi,

Anyone stay in any of the following hotels in Krakow?

Galicya Hotel
Regent Hotel
Rezydent Hotel

If so, what did you think - all 3 star so I think they should be ok..

Back