Knocking internal wall to create doorway.

Hillsalt

I want to knock down an internal wall to make way for a double door (between a scarcely used front room and an overused sittingroom).

Has anyone done similar work? I'd imagine it's a messy job.
How long did it take?
How much did it cost?

We chose lovely doors in Door Depot and want to get it done.

There are some previous threads on this subject.

Without reading any advice on those threads the obvious things that spring to mind immediately are:

Is it a load bearing wall and will you need to fit an RSJ support?

Will the room be a lot harder to heat because of the larger open space and will it therefore require increased heating?

I've also just realised that surely you mean creating a gap for the new doors rather than knocking down the complete wall?

I'm sure the list goes on and on :)

@Hillsalt, do the simple thing, get a structural engineer / surveyor in to give you a schedule of works, preliminary costings and to oversee the project. Unfortunately there isn't enough information in your post to give any kind of meaningful answer.

String and length thereof...

We knocked down the wall between our kitchen and dining room to make a big kitchen. It was very messy but my husband did the job himself. It took a couple of days. He had to get an RSJ support and he put that in before he knocked down the wall. It was very heavy and we had to round up 6 or 8 able bodied men to lift it. He hired these supports to keep it up till it was fit properly. It only cost a couple of hundred. The only thing we had to buy was the joist.
That was 3 years ago and the house hasn't fallen down yet!!!

Don't you need to get a certificate from structural engineer when doing such a job for 1-insurance purposes & 2-reselling?

Hi,

We knocked through double doors from our sitting room to kitchen recently. Got a builder to do it, cost €2,600 for the work (this also included some other carpentry work in the kitchen). It was quite a messy job, dust everywhere and had to move out all furniture, but well worth it, has brightened up the place considerably. An concrete support was fitted. The whole job only took 3 days.

Kimkim

Back