Kitchens Kitchens Kitchen!

Brenno123

Hi

I am building an old traditional stone farmhouse at the moment and i am currently looking the various options for the kitchen. Everyone has different ideas and it is proving headwrecking so any informed advice would be grateful.

I have a fairly big open planned kitchen - diner - living area. The look I am going for is traditional cream, black granite worktops and dark tiled floor(dark grey possibly). I have a feature wall that will house a mantle and range cooker and will have an island. I want to incorporate reclaimed brick and stone into the kitchen where possible (mantle area etc).

I want to make this the wow factor of the house for the obvious reasons and I have a budget of about 22k for the kitchen (including appliances).
I have looked in the likes of kitchenworld and cash nd carry and whilst they all come in well under my budget I am bit concerned that the quality of kitchens arent great for the house i am building. Some people are of the opinion once i get top quality flooring and worktop the kitchen will look amazing no matter where i get it.

So my questions;

1. Can a kitchen from the budget shops look top quality with the right finishes (peoples experience would be great!)? would it be a huge waste of money gettin one especially made?

2. Could I get a real wood kitchen designed and crafted for my 22k buget(considring budget shops were quoting around 10k)? Can anyone recommend anywhere that makes real wood kitchens at a reasonable cost?

3. Would it be worthwile engaging an interior designer for the kitchen to give me ideas as I really dont want to mess this part of the house up? any ideas on costings of a designer.

Re: Kitchens Kitchens Kitchen!!!

So my questions;

1. Can a kitchen from the budget shops look top quality with the right finishes (peoples experience would be great!)? would it be a huge waste of money gettin one especially made?

It's not quite bespoke and it's not quite DIY but Noyeks Newmans supply kitchen components that a lot of kitchen installers would use in their kitchens such as carcases, drawer systems etc. Their base/wall units are good quality and their made to order doors are top quality. Large range available.

A lot of what makes a kitchen great is the planning and the actual fitting. You need to find a good carpenter who will put the extra special touches to edges, tops, corners etc.

This may look [broken link removed] or Room 7 in Kitchen here [broken link removed] similar to what your looking for. All the components there are available it just takes skill to put them in the correct place in the kitchen and actually fit them.

I would spend my money on a good carpenter to install a Noyecks supplied kitchen. Pay over the top to get one if you have to.

PS I use Noyeks supplied components but have no connection to Noyecks.

Hi

We used Nolans Kitchens and found them really excellent. Originally we didnt think they did domestic one off jobs but they did. Cost came in at 15k+- incl granite. There website shows most of their designs but we changed our plan twice and they were very accomadating and very good telling us what would work and what would'nt.

No connections with them apart from being a happy customer.

Cosmic Kitchens in Blessington have beautiful kitchens on display, and have a country style cream one. Well worth a visit. Not pushy at at all when you are looking. Owners name is Ciaran. I have picked a kitchen there ( back in July ) but am not ready yet for installation.

yours

Secman

I totally agree with Davidoco. As FTB , cash was not plentiful but we hated the standard kitchen in our new house. We went with a very modern white glossy kitchen from Noyeks Newmans and spent absolutely ages on the planning. We got a great carpenter and spent a lot of consideration on details like handles / taps and tiles and I'm really delighted with the results. The finished product looks far more expensive than it was - and would definitely hold its own against the really spec suppliers

I have no connection with Noyeks either.

Cosmic Kitchens in Blessington have beautiful kitchens on display, and have a country style cream one. Well worth a visit. Not pushy at at all when you are looking. Owners name is Ciaran. I have picked a kitchen there ( back in July ) but am not ready yet for installation.

yours

Secman

Hi Secman,

just wondering are these related to Cosmic Kitchens in Naas?
How have you found them in terms of service & quality?

Currently getting quotes & these are quite competitive

I'm still not ready for them, but a friend of mine also used them in the last few weeks and they are delighted with the end product and yes they and Cosmic in Naas are the same company. I'm due to call over to have a look at friends kitchen very shortly. as they by pure coincidence , picked an almost identical one to ours. So in a way they were the dry run !

Yours

secman

Brenno,

I would rethink on the black floor tiles. Unless its a bright room they will darken it a lot and are more noticeable when dirty.
Talk to someone that has them in already and get their opinion / thoughts.

ye should also have a re-think about granite top if it's jet black you're considering. looks lovely in showroom, very impractical in reality, shows the tiniest crumbs up. if you really like black consider stargate or stargalaxy

Hello Brenno123,
I recently got a new kitchen from kitchen world in waterford. I spent about 3 months researching kitchen companies and found the quality of their kitchens the best by far, and great bunch of people to deal with. I looked at some hand crafted kitchen companies but their quotes were ridiculous. Kitchen world also put me in touch with granite concepts for a granite top, again very reasonable and measured, manufactured and fitted within a week. As for appliances, I reccommend electro city in kilkenny. I bought a range, hood, tv american fridge and the next best quote was 1200 euro more, and believe me I bounced prices off of all the electrical stores!
ps I have no affiliation with the above, just a personal experience from buying from them.

Hi Brenno123,

I moved into a new house back in May, we spent a similar amount on our kitchen and it has a centre island, granite worktops, walnut was used for all the storage units in the kitchen.

This was completed by a carpenter who I have nothing but good things to say about him. His work was so good that we have a room adjoining our bedroom that we converted into a walk in wardrobe and he did this also.

People who have come to visit have all commented very favourably on the kitchen.

If you want his details then let me know, I am based in Cork so not sure if this is of any use to you.

Hi guys,

We're also looking for a kitchen and seem to be experiencing a similar situation to the OP. The quotes we're getting for a bespoke kitchen are astonishing and seem very hard to justify, although doors are "coving" are made from solid wood, the carcasses are made from mdf. Now, I've also spoken to one of the suppliers mentionned in some of the previous postings and they informed me that their carcasses are made from chipboard and they just buy them in and stick the door you chose on it, the units they buy in are standard size and they don't do bespoke.

I guess my dilema is that we want a nice fitted solid wood kitchen, and are willing to pay for it but not what the bespoke people want to charge - is there anyone out there who can explain how a bespoke unit for a dual fridge freezer, (1200mm wide), costs Eur6K?

ALERT.

Last edited:
Alert, I have been shopping around for kitchen units for a while now and am going with Noyeks Newmans for my units/doors as I got a fantastic quote in their most recent sale - they're even making up a few units/doors specially for me.

Up to that I had been very inclined towards a place I found on the internet - www.bestvaluekitchens.com - I faxed them a plan of what I was thinking of and a guy called Greg emailed me back a few virtual pictures of what he would be able to do, and all at a very good price. I can't say they do great kitchens because I haven't seen anything they've produced, but the response to my query was absolutely first class. If you're anywhere convenient to Roundwood, Co. Wicklow it may be well worth your while to contact them.

Back