Kitchen remodel quote

SHiiNo

We decided to do up our kitchen as it was needing full refurb work on it. I thought it'd be great to share the quotation we got to get an opinion on the price and also let people know of the prices being quoted out there.
Other than the electrical works which I want to be certified, the prices below are cash work. I would like to think that paying cash would be no issue as there is no work structurally or so that needs certification but any stories out there where paying cash for a kitchen remodel ended up an issue would be welcomed

Our kitchen is approx 18m2.

• Kitchen = €8,350 (Contemporary style includes for ripping out old kitchen and fitting new one)
  • Electrical works = €3,750 (Rewiring kitchen includes for new lights and certification)
  • Flooring = €1,150 (Timber laminated flooring)
  • General plumbing = €450
  • Skimming of walls €450 and new skirting boards €275 = €725
  • New insulated ceiling boards with skimming = €950
  • Fit new timber double doors including architraves = €1200
  • Appliances = €2,300 (All new appliances)
  • Total Cost = €18,875
Any feedback would be appreciated

Nobody can say if its good or bad value without knowing the number of kitchen units, whether you're getting an island, the worktop material, etc.

Are you getting any tiling done?

Electrical stands out as a bit expensive.

I'd be expecting commercial grade laminate flooring for that price.

Nobody can say if its good or bad value without knowing the number of kitchen units, whether you're getting an island, the worktop material, etc.

Are you getting any tiling done?

Electrical stands out as a bit expensive.

I'd be expecting commercial grade laminate flooring for that price.
Cheers RedOnion.

Ye understood that its hard to justify without looking at the actual kitchen arrangement. To give a rough detail; no island, its a U-Shaped kitchen with laminate worktops and gloss doors.

No tiling being done and the flooring will be laid on top of the existing

Electrical works = €3,750 (Rewiring kitchen includes for new lights and certification)
Ouch!
There is a lot of cable,sockets,switches and fittings in €3,750.
But without knowing exactly what's going in, it's impossible to know for certain if it's a big 'ouch' or not.

In fact much the same could be said for most of your prices. We don't know what's been supplied and fitted.

You can pay for electrical works in cash and still get it certified. Just make sure the electrician is registered with RECI/Safe Electric.

I would have thought the plumbing should be part of the kitchen quote so you're paying 8.8 + 2.3 appliances = 11k for the kitchen. I'd say steep.

We refitted the kitchen two years ago. Not huge but the kitchen units alone cost 13k fitted. The quotes you have seem reasonable except electrical and door seems high.

You want to pay in cash to avoid tax?
The kitchen fitter preferred payment by cash so he can avoid paying tax himself I think

@Slim @SparkRite Cheers for the input. I'll do some more shopping around for doors. Concerning the electrical works, it's a complete rewire of the kitchen so I think the price shown is okay for us

The kitchen fitter preferred payment by cash so he can avoid paying tax himself I think

So if you paid him by cheque etc. you'd be charged more??

Or is he having his cake and eating it by charging you the VAT also?

Will you get a receipt? What if you have issues with the installation?

Whether or not he pays tax is his responsibility.

Just watch your own back.

So if you paid him by cheque etc. you'd be charged more??

Or is he having his cake and eating it by charging you the VAT also?

Will you get a receipt? What if you have issues with the installation?

Whether or not he pays tax is his responsibility.

Just watch your own back.
I guess this is one reason I wanted people's opinions or if they have experience paying cash for these types of work.
I don't think a receipt will be issued as it's under the books.

The fitter is experienced and has shown me other jobs he has worked on which looked very good

I guess this is one reason I wanted people's opinions or if they have experience paying cash for these types of work.

The fitter is experienced and has shown me other jobs he has worked on which looked very good

If it's a cash job e.g. Not on the books and the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language hits the fan - you have no come back.
You'd have too look and see if there is much of a price difference between being on the books or not too make it worth Your while.

Its a lot of cash to hand over to a dishonest person.

@Slim @SparkRite Cheers for the input. I'll do some more shopping around for doors. Concerning the electrical works, it's a complete rewire of the kitchen so I think the price shown is okay for us
[/QUOTE]
We also had a lot of rewiring in the kitchen. I would suggest getting another quote of two. Also, that's a lot of money to pay out in cash!

Do I need a builder if I am replacing an old kitchen?

I will need the following work completed.

Remove existing cabinets.

Remove tiling from walls.

Replace marmoleum flooring. Existing flooring glued to concrete/screed. So will probably need to have new screed on floor. Do I need to remove old Marmoleum or can I just put new lino/wood floor on top of existing Marmoleum floor?

Remove Stanley range gas cooker that is also our central heating boiler. Remove gas two ring hob.

Put in place new gas boiler. This will need to be moved to external wall plus piping. Is Gas the best option?

New sink plus tap.

Move existing electrical cables to other areas in kitchen plus upgrade for electrical cooker in place of Gas. Replace existing recessed ceiling lights with normal drop down lights.

Skim walls ceiling.

Fitting of new kitchen.

New tiling.

Is there a kitchen installer that can do all these things or do I need a builder?

If I need a builder I would appreciate a recommendation from someone who has already gone through this process. Based in Blackrock Co. Dublin

Last edited:
Do I need a builder if I am replacing an old kitchen?

I will need the following work completed.

Remove existing cabinets.

Remove tiling from walls.

Replace marmoleum flooring. Existing flooring glued to concrete/screed. So will probably need to have new screed on floor. Do I need to remove old Marmoleum or can I just put new lino/wood floor on top of existing Marmoleum floor?

Remove Stanley range gas cooker that is also our central heating boiler. Remove gas two ring hob.

Put in place new gas boiler. This will need to be moved to external wall plus piping. Is Gas the best option?

New sink plus tap.

Move existing electrical cables to other areas in kitchen plus upgrade for electrical cooker in place of Gas. Replace existing recessed ceiling lights with normal drop down lights.

Skim walls ceiling.

Fitting of new kitchen.

New tiling.

Is there a kitchen installer that can do all these things or do I need a builder?

If I need a builder I would appreciate a recommendation from someone who has already gone through this process. Based in Blackrock Co. Dublin
There's tradesmen out there that can do all that work for you. However, you come across as someone who might not know many people in that business (I might be completely wrong) and they're almost impossible to get, very, very, much in demand. If you or your family are familiar with a builder, or similar, get them to quote for the job. The gas boiler installation will have to be done (signed off) by a properly registered person.

Back