Kitchen gadgets - what do you find useful?

hhhmmmm...Ill have to have a look next time at what the weight is. Its roughly the same amount of meat as you'd get off a chicken (if it were boned and rolled).

You can adjust the slice thickness so I have mine set to what is a weeks worth of slices - in our case thats enough meat for 4 sandwiches a day, Mon to Fri, so 2 large slices a day or 3 or 4 smaller ones (obv the slices from the centre are wider). I tend to get around 12-16 slices off it. I could go thinner and get 20 or so slices off it.

Check out the prepacked ham section in Tesco - they sometimes have special offers (Supervalu do too sometimes) - where you can get two hams for a tenner - if I see that I buy 2 and freeze one.

Obviously it depends on size, but the size I tend to buy is the 6ish euro mark.

I used to slice by hand before I got the gadget, but I find the gadget is more economical, as my own slicing used to include large unsightly chunks, some slices too thin, some too thick etc....

This sounds great - I waste a lot of money on tasteless sliced processed ham.

Presume you could also cook the hams, slice them and then freeze the slices to use at will (if, say, you're not using the whole lot in one week)?

Truthseeker- I'd say you've single handedly increased the sales of meatslicers 1000% ( or more). Argos all over Ireland are going to be sold out...:D

Presume you could also cook the hams, slice them and then freeze the slices to use at will (if, say, you're not using the whole lot in one week)?

Ive never done that - but Im sure you could.

Vanilla - Im only surprised that more people dont cook and slice their own meat (whether by hand or by slicer!) - I thought it was just a normal thing to be doing!!

Be nice to your local butcher and they will slice a cooked ham (or turkey crown) for you also - very handy if you are catering for a large crowd at parties and the like.

stupid question alert. Do boil all the meat or cook it in the oven? Thinking chicken or beef would be nicer roasted but would boil the ham.

What a collection. :eek:

A mushroom brush for slicing bagels, a mushroom brush that's a clasp-knife and one that's a frock. I'm amazed and humbled.

stupid question alert. Do boil all the meat or cook it in the oven? Thinking chicken or beef would be nicer roasted but would boil the ham.

I boil the ham. I roast chicken. Havent sliced any other meats but would roast beef too.

I bought a hamburger press in NYC a couple of years ago.
[broken link removed]

Any idea where I might get one of these in Irealnd.

Had a quick look online & a single metal one at about €20 + another € 10 for shipping.

There are some plastic ones for about €10 (including shipping)....do you reckon the metal is necessary/worth the extra cost? I know you'd have it for life, but I'm talking about making 4 burgers every couple of weeks & the odd BBQ.

Had a quick look online & a single metal one at about €20 + another € 10 for shipping.

There are some plastic ones for about €10 (including shipping)....do you reckon the metal is necessary/worth the extra cost? I know you'd have it for life, but I'm talking about making 4 burgers every couple of weeks & the odd BBQ.
Use your hands!

I've never seen them here. EBay? Kitchen Compliments in Chatham St. In Dublin may be a good starting point. I know you can shape the burgers with your hands, but, I find these good for making up batches of home made burgers in advance. It also makes freezing them easier. The metal does a very good job.

Thanks for those - I actually got one in Home Store + More last night for the pricely sum of €4....it's only a little plastic one but it will give me an idea if it's worth getting a metal one down the road.

Purple - Yup, do use my hands, but I find they can fall apart abit on the BBQ. Not too bad if you're only cooking a couple and have the time to be v. careful flipping, but I get abit carried away when I have 20 on at a time. The press squeezes out all the air and helps keep them togeather better.

Also - re the mash & mixer, they only go starchy if you over-mix them (same can happen with a regular masher). Drain the spuds, dry them off abit, put in some butter & milk/cream (also, if you fancy some garlic & spring onion) and mix of about 20-30 seconds - I'm well know for my mash (but I reckon my roasties are better!!!)

Also - re the mash & mixer, they only go starchy if you over-mix them (same can happen with a regular masher). Drain the spuds, dry them off abit, put in some butter & milk/cream (also, if you fancy some garlic & spring onion) and mix of about 20-30 seconds - I'm well know for my mash (but I reckon my roasties are better!!!)

The secret of good mash is to boil the potatoes in their skins, keeping the water out of the flesh, and peel them before you mash them.

The secret of good mash is to boil the potatoes in their skins, keeping the water out of the flesh, and peel them before you mash them.

Dear Lord - I have a life!!! :D

Plus I'd never have the patience to let them cool down enough before peeling.....I'd have to get your wife to check out my burnt mitts!!

Dear Lord - I have a life!!! :D

Plus I'd never have the patience to let them cool down enough before peeling.....I'd have to get your wife to check out my burnt mitts!!
You're the guy buying the burger press:p

Back