Kitchen costs

Tim Robbins

Hi,
We are doing an extension and will end up with kitchen / living area. Wondering how much would make sense to budget for the kitchen? Roughly. It would be the usual modern kitchen with island etc. Thanks

Hi,
We are doing an extension and will end up with kitchen / living area. Wondering how much would make sense to budget for the kitchen? Roughly. It would be the usual modern kitchen with island etc. Thanks
Tim,
Might get a guesstamate if you give a few sizes what type of counter top etc.

Go into the Ikea planner tool and plot out the kitchen layout you would like. That will give you an all-in cost of the Ikea offering at the lower end of the scale but also a detailed listing of the cabinets, doors, drawers, etc. that you can then use to shop around.

Best bet is to set your budget at a percentage of your house valuation.

Theres no point spending 50k for a kitchen in a house valued at 300k.

* four base drawers 900mm width
* Three 900mm width wall cabinets
" One 900mm pantry level cabinet
" Three 600mm tall cabinet units to house fridge, freezer
* Island approx 2.6 by 1.2 with double sink.
* Island has cabinets for dish washer, bins. Island has book shelf.
* Island also has some presses.
* Work top is entry level stone / quartz.
* Overall height of main presses is 2300mm
* Door frames are painted wood, shaker style Standard door not an in frame kitchen.

Any more detail needed, please shout.

Last edited:
Lets go for the lower value as the 'after' is an unknown at this point.

So 5% of 475 is say 24K
8% brings you up to 38k

Some where between those figures is what your budget should be.

IKEA are handy to do plans for free; print them off & take them around a few places.

Be careful of the upselling from the retail places.

For every 5 people you find that tell you x place is great, you'll get another 5 telling you its terrible.

Ultimately they are all selling much the same product; its your kitchen fitter who will make or break the finish.

One place few people seem to know about are O&S doors in Santry; so I'll mention it here for you to add that to your list also.

I’m not sure about those “percentage of the value of your home” formula. Nothing wrong with having a nice kitchen.

Did a pantry and Kitchen as part of a renovation last year for a 1,500 sq/ft house.

€18,000 for supply and fit of new kitchen and pantry, including countertops, splash back and island. Floor to ceiling units in the pantry with stacked washer/drier.

€4,877 for middle of the road white goods per

Hob
€299​
Dishwasher
€499​
Microwave
€479​
Larder Fridge
€929​
Larder Freezer
€929​
Washing Machine
€454​
Drier
€499​
Double Oven
€789​
Total
€4,877​

You will need an electrician to connect sockets after counters and splash back go in.

We got a boiling water tap also for €1,400. Expensive but love it.

We got 3 quotes for the proposed works (ex white goods) which were €16,850, €18,000 and €21,000. Had an ikea kitchen when we bought the house which was grand but felt cheap in parts so would avoid if you can.

Note that this does not include flooring.

On the budget side, if you don't want to do IKEA, there's also the option to source cabinets and doors, then have them fitted. Most of kitchen suppliers actually work with the same door manufacturers.

B&Q have approved fitters to I stall their materials.

B&Q also have a trade card which may be worth 10% off the price of the hardware. Obviously verify this first.

Last edited:
Is the Celtic Tiger back? Just wondering based on the figures being thrown around here... :eek:

Yep, savage money.

Have you considered refurbishing the current kitchen? You can tackle that a couple of ways. Fraction of the cost.

1) keep your current cabinets, doors and countertops and splash backs but have them professionally repainted.

2) keep you current cabinet carcasses but replace the doors, counter tops and splash backs with new from any of the suppliers mentioned. The carcasses are usually perfectly fine functionally and aesthetically and you can mount new hardware onto them but exposed areas may need repainting to match the new doors countertops.

Google kitchen refurbishment or kitchen repaint etc. plenty of providers out there.

My builder chap has recommended Howdens to supply units .... only deal with fitters.
Howdens have kitchen ranges from budget to premium (their premium). I have no idea on quality. The issue people have is with their pricing strategy leading to claims it's not transparent. The same kitchen (and their appliances) can have different prices, spanning quite a range. Check Google for further info.

Recently did a reno in Dublin, ended up with an L shape kitchen and Island (floor to ceiling units, double pantry etc). Went with an in-frame kitchen design which is a little more expensive.

I paid around 22.5k for kitchen and quartz counters plus ~8k on appliances (2 ovens, dishwasher, hob, fridge, freezer, boiling water tap). I went with higher end appliances, and was surprised by the cost of these, but it quickly adds up. If I ever move, I will be bringing the appliances with me!

I had quotes ranging from 18k to 35k.

The kitchen is custom designed, spray painted finish, MDF doors and carcasses and some other type of wood to give a better finish in the drawers etc. I was surprised it wasn't made in solid wood, but I visited a very high end kitchen maker who said the majority of their kitchens are made out of MDF, but not the cheap kind!

Back