kit-out cost for new house

J

justwondering

could anyone advise roughly how much i should budget to kit out an average new 3 bed (1080 sq ft)? would be looking at tiling kitchen, bathroom and wc floors (not walls), wooden floors downstairs, carpet hall stairs and landing. just doing wood protector job on bedroom floors for time being. in terms of furniture i'd only need 1 double bed, suite of furniture and table and chairs. i know, like most things, you can spend as much or as little as you like but am just wondering what the average cost would be...
any help appreciated!

Just went through this a number of weeks ago.
Presuming you have bought anything yet, I would put a figure of over 10k on it. You could be talking twice that depending on the quality of the items.

One very important thing is the price of the little things. We must of spent over 1k in Building Suppliers buying things like tile adhesive, glue, nails, tile cutter, grout, paint, brushes, polybond, drill bits, masking tape, spirit level, poddle (a great invention), white spirits, scraper (a must have) etc etc.
These are the things which are going to bite you. I really couldn't believe the amount we spent there.
You are also talking about 700-800 for cooker, 800 for decent carpet for hall stairs & landing. 400 for fridge, 750 for wooden floors. Tiles - a few thousand if you wanted. I think we spent about 1k on our bathroom and the WC only came to about 40 Euro (floor and splash tiles behing basin). Bed would be anywhere from 300 up. We paid about 600 as we don't want to replace it anytime soon.
Big money for couch and chairs. You might see a couch for sale for about 700, but the arm chairs can cost almost as much. You may want to budget about 2k. Dining room table and chairs - about 200 if you want cheap. Remember that you will end up replacing a lot of stuff a lot sooner if you get cheap stuff.

Don't forget curtains, blinds and curtain rails. They can cost upwards of 3 k in reality. Put wooden blinds on your windows and a set of expensive curtains in your 'good' room and you are 1200 alone...

A lot depends on what you can do yourself....can you tile? cause no matter how cheap the tile is a tiler will still cost the same to fit it. You could get cheap tiles for 8.99 a square yard and be paying some guy 15 euro a square yard for fitting. Same with wooden floors. Fitting of cheap lamintes costs more than the laminate itself...

Don't forget that you don't necessarily need to do the whole house (or even whole rooms) in one go. We got by in our place with little more than a kettle, combination convection/microwave/grill oven, fridge, futon and radio for a few months after moving in a few years back, but you tell that to the young people today and blah, blah, blah... ;)

Re: ..

Our house is by no means complete but here's an idea of costs:

Wooden floors downstairs (except loo): €1750 for uni-click laminate (more expensive cos they had the bevel and look nicer) - boyfriend fitted it.

Carpet - landing, stairs & 3 upstairs bedrooms - €750 supply and fit (special one day offer in des kelly otherwise would have cost €1450).

Kitchen appliances - €2275 for washing machine, dishwasher, fridge, oven, gas hob - got really good quality stuff and haggled with bloke in DID.

Corner sofa, dining table & 6 chairs, bed, mattress, 2 bedside lockers, chest of drawers - €4150 Classic Furniture

Alarm - €960 - more expensive than it could have been cos have loads of windows.

Blinds - €1000 - again, more expensive cos loads of windows.

Those were what we considered the basics before we could move in. Also spent a fortune on little things as per previous posts.

Have only tiled the upstairs bathroom wall so far and got my Dad to do that - tiles were on special in right price tiles for a total of €218 for tiles, grout, adhesive etc - approximately 10sq yards.

new house kit out

thanks for all the helpful replies. and blank, for all its worth, i would have similar views about being happy to make do with the absolute minimum for a while. we really want to keep borrowing as low as possible and so plan to just get the absolute necessities and get the rest as we go along and absorb it into our disposable income.
it helps that all white goods, including dishwasher will be included in the price. also, as we are renting in a place that only had basic furniture when we move in we bought a lot of good quality stuff then; kettle, delph, pots, pans, iron + ironing board etc. probably sounds silly but they're all necessities, the costs of which build up rapidly!

Buying new house and hope to do up the place for about 5-6k!!!

Is this completely unrealistic? Opting for laminate flooring and not going for expensive kitchen stuff.

Obviously still want things to look reasonable mind you.

5-6k? A bit on the low side.

When you consider a couch and two arm chairs will set you back at least 1k (for cheapy stuff).
Cheap cooker, fridge, washing machine will be about 1100.
Bed & mattress - 400.
Kitchen table - 200.
Blinds - 700 min. Might go for curtains, and these would be about 300 for the basics.
Actually, I think you could do a lot of it. This is presuming you have a lot of stuff already - TV, video, TV Unit, plates, cutlery - that type of stuff which does cost a bit when you add it all up.

Maybe if you make a list of the things you actually need, you will have a better idea.
The only word of warning is if you buy cheap, you will end up replacing them sooner rather than you think.

As for a poddle - it is an attachment for a drill which mixes things for you. Some people use a trowel to mix tile adhesive or grout, but a poddle mixes half a bucket in about 30 seconds. That and a scrapper have been the two best buys.

So, I don't think it is unreasonable, but it will be interesting to hear how you get on.

Good Luck!

It is on the low side Maceface. But that's really all we'll have by the time we do everything else, like paying solicitor etc...

We have TV stuff.

Your post does give me some hope though.

I think 5-6k might be do-able.
We're willing to go to 1500 for a couch because it's what we'll be sitting/lying on so much.

Certainly won't be paying 200 for a kitchen table!!!

If you buy everything in the one place...ie kitchen goods, can you generally expect to get a decent discount?

Are blinds really that expensive????

I have no idea about how much discount they will give, but I suppose 10% isn't out of the question. Des Kelly has some excellent bargains.

Unfortunately, Blinds are expensive as they have to be made to order.
Advance Blinds in Greenhills are one of the cheapest around. Cost us 700 for the house - all windows.
I know a few people who bought houses and they must have spent around that.
You will need to do some prep work first -make the list of things you must have and shop around for a few weeks before purchasing anything.
200 for a kitchen table? Is that expensive or too cheap?
I know someone who got one for that and it is pretty solid.

Hi Piggy,

Like unregistered I think you are better off concentrating on covering the windows which can be done for security reasons as well as privacy and then concentrate on living in one room in some comfort while your finances get a chance to recover. Most people appear to live in the kitchen for obvious reasons.

On your question on blinds there a few recommendations here .

On kitchen appliances these refer

Hi Maceface,

200 is expensive to me for a kitchen table and chairs. Have seen stuff that looks okay in Argos for a lot cheaper.
Thanks for advice re blinds...had no idea!

Hi Sueellen,

Thanks for the links...most helpful as per usual.

discounts

if you don't ask for one........

having been astonished at the brass neck of a nameless family member who asked for a discount for buying with cash, and open-mouthed at his getting it, I have since asked everywhere about discounts. You may have to wait to see the manager, but it's very rarely I've been refused outright. And you walk out with a great glow! :eek:

:D

Back