Kiltalown, Jobstown, just in off the Blessington road

glic

Hi there. I'm currently bidding on a property in Kiltalown Court, Jobstown.
It's just in off the Blessington road, and wouldn't be part of the original old council estates of Jobstown.

Initially I wouldn't really have considered buying a property in Jobstown beacuse it hardly has the best reputation in the world, but after viewing the property and the immediate area around the Kiltalown Court cul de sac, it actually seems like quite a nice place.

Unfortunately, there's been a bit of a bidding war on the house (three bed end of terrace red brick, recently redecorated, generally really nice house).

The latest bid is 293,000, which is almost 20,000 over the guiding price. Is this property overpriced for the area, or is any decent three bed house for under 300,000 regarded as good business?

My brother in law has brought a couple of properties in the area because he believes that Jobstown is an improving area and a property there a great investment.

Is he right, or will somewhere like Jobstown always have a bad reputation?

The property itself may be fine.And the area may look ok during the day.

But it really depends on if you are going to live there yourself. If you are not, then although it's not a great price, it is still viable. All I can say is that it will not be easy to sell that house if the market cools even a tiny bit.

That's the property alright. I'm tempted by it because anything else similar that i've bid on (semi-d, three-bed, extremely well decorated) has gone way past the 317 mark no-matter what area it's been in. Is it possible in the current climate to get such a place for substantially under the 300k mark?

Hi Glic,
I posted above saying, in a very PC way , that the property may be difficult to sell if the market changes, ie interest rates go up etc.
As I am not an investor I am not qualified to guess the potential of the area. But as I am from the general area and once considered buying in Springfield beside the square (should've done it) I do know a bit about where you are buying. Don't expect the capital appreciation of new developments. It has a bad name for a reason. Only time spent there can bear this out, and I cannot recommend you going for walks aroound there to check out the area.
I'm a new poster so not sure if I am allowed make statements like that, but be very careful. I do have friends who grew up there, and some who bought in sundrive(sunview?) etc(new devs). But as for the old areas..seriously go to the cop shop, ask them what they really think about the road(not even the area). If its better than the other jobstown areas then fine. Otherwise.......
Best of luck whatever you decide.

DaithiOg said:
I do have friends who grew up there, and some who bought in sundrive(sunview?) etc(new devs). But as for the old areas..seriously go to the cop shop, ask them what they really think about the road(not even the area). If its better than the other jobstown areas then fine. Otherwise.......
Best of luck whatever you decide.

Is it Sundale you mean?

average asking price seems to be 310-315K....good return for hubbys friends who paid £80K about 5 years ago!

Didn't buy the property in the end as I was totally put off by a phonecall to the Tallaght Garda station. I was told I'd wake up every morning wondering if my car was still where I put it, and that burgularies in the area were rife. Apparently new people moving into the area were being particularly targeted. The house still went for 297,000 though. My own search continues :0(

Hi Glic

Did you consider Citywest or Saggart? They are not so far from that area and not so close to troublespots as Kiltalown.

Hi Paddy. Would be interested in those areas, but looking for a three bed house if possible and they seem to be above the stamp duty watershed around there. Starting to think I may just have to grit my teeth and take the hit on going above 317,500

hi.....
Don't buy just yet........
We are about to put our house on the market and it is probaly the best house in the kiltalown estate..
3 bed semi. with garage ( only one in estate) (can be come extra room if needed)
3 car off road parking
extend kitchen to side ( with big rangecooker and modern kitchen)
extension with utility room and wc to rear
cavity block wall to rear with large mature trees and landscaped (large wood kids wendy house)
wood and tiled floors thoughout....antique fireplace
alarm,gas C/H,Broad band (wireless),sky,double glazed, lots more
great neighbours oppsite large green.
only moving because of work........
phone 085 157 3005

Back