Killing of Qassem Suleimani

A pretty emphatic denial and dismissive response from Pompeo today to the notion that Solemani was engaged in anything but plots to attack US interests, let alone engaged in any sort of diplomatic mission.

Pompeo press conference

From about 9mins.

:oops:
A pretty emphatic denial and dismissive response from Pompeo today to the notion that Solemani was engaged in anything but plots to attack US interests, let alone engaged in any sort of diplomatic mission.

Pompeo press conference

From about 9mins.
I thought you were dropping this side show.
Theo said:
Apparently, allegedly, Trump called the Iraqi PM Madhi, to act as a mediator between US and Iran for peace talks in Baghdad. Then Trump gave the order to kill him!
This reads to me that Trump laid a trap, tricking Madhi to lure Soli to Baghdad so that The Donald could then kill him with his guard down. As you said this would be truly "despicable" to the point were you pleaded "say it isn't so". Well it obvioulsy isn't so and this is a far cry from Madhi asserting that Soli was on a peace mission, which in any case I hope you don't believe for one minute.
For avoidance of doubt I am not a Trumpist. I'm afraid that almost anything Trump does this year is with a view to its electoral effect. In that context the timing of the assassination of Soli is IMHO "despicable".

I thought you were dropping this side show.

The only sideshow is your persistence in claiming im peddling some conspiracy theory.

This reads to me that Trump laid a trap, tricking Madhi to lure Soli to Baghdad so that The Donald could then kill him with his guard down.

You can read into that what you want to, that is after all what, in your words, what conspiracy theorists do.

The reality is, my comment which has you so fixated, derived from a report by a ME war correspondent based in Baghdad quoting what the Iraqi PM said.
You pined that I would answer Purples question of providing a source. I did.
The same report then got recycled by the BBC.
In the US today, on CNN and Fox News amongst others, both channels at least reported the Pompeo denial of Solemani diplomatic mission.
They only reported on it because I assume they considered his denial newsworthy? And they only had a chance to report on it because a journalist at the White House press conference considered it at least worthy to ask the US Secretary of State for a reaction to the comments on the Iranian foreign minister claiming diplomatic mission.

So this is no twitterati conspiracy theory. This is high office of Iran, Iraq, and the US making claim and counter claim, as reported by global media outlets.
That you happened on this story on the pages of AAM from yours truly, which sent you into a tizzy, is not really of interest anymore.

There are two official narratives. The Iran/Iraqi diplomatic mission narrative, and the US imminent terrorist attack narrative.

Neither side has produced any verifiable evidence to support or debunk each others account of events.
At this juncture I can only speculate as to what is the truth of the matter. I suspect we will never find out for certain.
All that is left is speculation.

I have little knowledge of the day to day political affairs of Iraq, or Iran. Here is the wiki page of outgoing Iraqi PM Adil Abdul-Mahdi.

Iraqi PM Adil Abdul Mahdi

of US Secretary of State

US Secretary of State Mike Pompei

of Iranian foreign minister

Mohammed Javad Zariff

Obviously these pages are only brief summaries but reading through the education and career lives of these individuals, a picture does emerge of the type of people involved, their character, and their integrity.

I see Iran fired 22 missiles at us bases in Iraq, no casualties, apparently the us were warned. Also Ukrainian 737 crashes shortly after take off from Tehran, very suspicious. I think the crash of the Ukrainian jet will dampen any further action from Iran for now. They will need to prove that they did not down it. Will they allow us officials to examine the downed jet, I doubt it

I see Iran fired 22 missiles at us bases in Iraq, no casualties, apparently the us were warned. Also Ukrainian 737 crashes shortly after take off from Tehran, very suspicious. I think the crash of the Ukrainian jet will dampen any further action from Iran for now. They will need to prove that they did not down it. Will they allow us officials to examine the downed jet, I doubt it

+1

Keeps Russia on side with Iran too.......

Iran aren't stupid. They know this is a war they can't win. They knew those missiles would be like using a pea shooter because of the US defences. (Missiles were picked up by early warning systems apparently). It was all about saving face and doing something that looked good on tv. The real damage is the support that Iran will probably give to terrorist groups to carry out attacks on Western targets where it can't easily be traced back.

I don't believe in co-incidences so I would be pretty sure that a plane crashing just after taking off from Tehran is more than just an accident. Poor people. Like Russia and MH17, nobody will probably ever be held to account.

You are like a dog with a bone. Enlighten me to third narrative.
see post #42. Theo hints darkly at the third narrative. As to the first two narratives, yep they are doing the rounds and rather typical of such situations, low key coverage and certainly nothing to have you pleading "say it isn't so".

Theo hints darkly at the third narrative. As to the first two narratives, yep they are doing the rounds and rather typical of such situations, low key coverage and certainly nothing to have you pleading "say it isn't so".

This is your reading into what my comment said.
Notably, you are unable to quote me directly on this dark theory. Instead you infer that I pleaded something that I never actually said. You have read into my comments what you wanted to read and infer that I said something I never said.
Quite the conspiracy theorist indeed!
But I was happy to clarify the matter for you as you had mentioned that I might do.

But despite other posters calling you out for over interpretating what I was saying, despite providing the source that prompted my initial comment, despite the official narrative from Iraq/Iran implying that Trump has in effect carried out a despicable act, despite your revered BBC recycling that narrative, despite White House journalists taking time to question the US Secretary of State on this "despicable" narrative, you still persist with some phantom conspiracy theory that only you have concocted.
Enjoy.

This is your reading into what my comment said.
Notably, you are unable to quote me directly on this dark theory. Instead you infer that I pleaded something that I never actually said. You have read into my comments what you wanted to read and infer that I said something I never said.
Quite the conspiracy theorist indeed!
But I was happy to clarify the matter for you as you had mentioned that I might do.

But despite other posters calling you out for over interpretating what I was saying, despite providing the source that prompted my initial comment, despite the official narrative from Iraq/Iran implying that Trump has in effect carried out a despicable act, despite your revered BBC recycling that narrative, despite White House journalists taking time to question the US Secretary of State on this "despicable" narrative, you still persist with some phantom conspiracy theory that only you have concocted.
Enjoy.
Remember the words of what's-her-face in that Disney cartoon; Let It Go, Let It Go!

Remember the words of what's-her-face in that Disney cartoon; Let It Go, Let It Go!

You know exactly who it is.... You are singing away while posting about the Black and Tans and the IRA and Iranian terrorism.....

The good news is that there are no reports thus far of people in the attacks.
The Iranians have said they do not want war and that it has concluded its strikes (RTE)
There is a sense of futility in Iran engaging the US in a war, in my opinion.
Hopefully the Trump will reciprocate the sentiment and resist any further attacks.

Back