Kids getting fat

J

joesoapy

Are Irish kids getting fatter?

On my road, about half of the kids look obese?
And when the ice-cream vans come around, the same kids go running every time

There is nothing wrong with children being overweight, it probably does them no harm when it comes to growth spurts

But there is a general "barrell-shape" that tends to be more prevelant now than when I was a kid

Does anyone have any facts or figures, as this may all be in my imagination?

> And when the ice-cream vans come around, the same kids go running every time

Well at least they're getting some exercise.

> Does anyone have any facts or figures, as this may all be in my imagination?

Google is usually a useful jumping off point...

fat

Joe,

If you ask me the kids aint picking it up from the street. Was in my local last night and both my mate and myself commented on the number of obese people in the pub. Unbelievable. i suppose the kids are facing an uphill struggle if mom and pops are in danger of falling over and rolling down the hill...

Re: fat

Purely anecdotal, but doesn't everyone here remember that junk food was a "treat" when you were a kid.

It seems to me as if it's a staple part of some kids diets these days.

Fat kids

That's what I am thinking

I can remember going to McDonalds as a kid
It was like a day out

Kids nowadays expect to go to McD's every time they are out

I do blame the parents as they are the ones who give the kids the food / or the money to buy the food

Starve the lil b@57a9d5

You started out looking for objective, authoritative and verifiable information on whether or not (childhood) obesity was on the increase and represented a problem but are now happy to base the discussion and proposed solutions on subjective and anecdotal evidence. Another topic doomed to futility methinks... :\

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

While neither of the above offer definitive figures to back up the assertion that children are eating more and more junk food in Ireland, which is in turn causing obesity on levels never seen before, it does at least suggest that it's not just Joe who's seen this phenomena.

Common sense would also suggest that there is a direct correlation between the two.

now happy to base the discussion and proposed solutions on subjective and anecdotal evidence. Another topic doomed to futility methinks...

I did mean the last part of the comment as a joke
But it appears that there is no room for a sesne of humour on AAM uless you are posting in The Craic, as far as some users are concerned

I do understand that some topics are very serious but sometimes some users seem to get very personal when discussing trivial matters

I will try not to make silly comments from now on

Nowhere did I get personal in this matter. I just think that if a topic is worth discussing then it's worth discussing properly. If what you actually want is an ill informed and perhaps amusing discussion about fat kids then perhaps The Craic IS a more appropriate place for it?

I did not state anyone got personal on this occasion

Indeed I would not point the finger at any one user for getting personal, I probably have myself in the past

I agree that if a topic is worth discussing it is worth discussing properly and that is why I apologised

Sorry, bar this line...

Starve the lil b@57a9d5

...where's the humour been in this post?

Obesity is one of the issues on the agenda as far as this government is concerned. Now that they have smoking nicked.

It isn't just junk food that is to blame - it is also the fact that housing estates are built with no areas to play football/tennis etc. and kids just sit inside and play playstation these days. I am from Tullamore - a county capital without a swimming pool.

> I did not state anyone got personal on this occasion

Quoting a specific contributor (me in this case) and then complaining about people getting personal certainly IMPLIES that your complaint was directed at that person. :\

overweight young women

It does seem to be true about weight levels being generally up and I agree with the poster regarding fast food being normal everyday food as oppose to a treat.

What I dont understand is how some of these overweight teenagers wear completely inappropiate clothes (Im sounding old now). For example, in Tescos at the weekend I frequently see young overweight girls/women wearing tanktops showing all of their unfit stomach....(and it wasnt 30 degrees outside)

...this look would not be found on the continent.

tank tops

Hi unsightly.

It is definitely something that is prevalent in dublin anyway. I dont live in Ireland but come home a lot and Im always amazed to see bare irish tummys when I wouldnt leave the house without a jacket.

Re: overweight young women

IMPLIES that your complaint was directed at that person

Tell you what,

I'll stop replying to you, you stop replying to me

And we will both let the disucssion continue as if I hadn't posted the comment that ruffled your feathers

PS You are more than welcome to reply to this, and I am sure you will but I will not reply in turn
Cheers

Re: tank tops

Im always amazed to see bare irish tummys when I wouldnt leave the house without a jacket.

Why? It's the fashion for a lot of kids.

I don't see why these two topics should be necessarily linked.

Obesity and kids fashion sense are two different matters(problems!!). If the obese kids wrapped up more would that solve the problem?

It's health we're talking about...not bare skin.

> And we will both let the disucssion continue as if I hadn't posted the comment that ruffled your feathers

It didn't ruffle my feathers. I was merely setting the record straight in response to your insinuations.

relevant to the topic

It was just an observation and more relevant to the discussion than the bickering that is going on between joesoap and <blank>, however I was talking about obese kids too piggy.

And aside from it being unsightly I dont think its very healthy for them to be so exposed.

As my mum used to say...you'd get a cold in your kidneys going out dressed like that.

Re: tank tops

I agree with Piggy I do not think that if kids covered up that they would be anyway healthier (might not look as fat but would be that is not going to stop diabetes)

But I do not think it is a case that the facilities are not there either
How much facilities do you need to kick a football around, go for walk, etc

I believe that it is mostly down to food types

Back