Key Post: Water Pressure - help.

P

PeteMac

I've recently bought a house and the water pressure from the taps and shower is terrible. I've heard from people that a pump can be installed that will increase the pressure throughout the whole house. Can anyone recommend someone who can do this for me? Any idea how much this will cost? Thanks in advance....

Re: Water Pressure - help

When I was getting some work done recently, I was told to first check that your storage tank is large enough to build up good pressure. This is especially true in older houses as the tank may have been installed at a time when not as much demands were made on the water supply. If it's not, then (I am told) even a pump won't improve the situation as the inflow is inadequate. But if the tank is ok, then the pump will help.

I don't have the name of anyone who can help, sorry!

tedd

water pressure

Its not the size of the tank that decides pressure but the
height of it above the taps.
A pump on the outlet from the tank will increase the
pressure of all taps except the kitchen cold water tap
which is fed directly off the water mains.

Re: water pressure

The height is important, but if the tank is not big enough, it can empty at a faster rate than it refills with a resultant reduction in the pressure. If you have an old house, the calibre of the pipes may also be a factor.
regards
tedd

Re: Water Pressure - help

Thanks for the info. I will have to check the size of the tank, but it's a new house so I reckon it's probably big enough. The only 'real' problem is the shower - everything else I could live with!

Pumps

Hi Pete,

If the only 'real' problem is the shower, then I can suggest two solutions.

1) Install a pumped instant electric shower. This heats the water and boosts the pressure. The one I have is a Triton, I think a T90si, and it's the business.

2) You can also install a pump on the hot water feed to the ordinary shower. I have this done in my bathroom, and it works really well too, in fact it generates more pressure than the Triton, but it doesn't do anything about heating the water obviously. If the shower is above the bath, then they can put the pump under the bath.

I can't recommend anyone to do these, as I had them done when the house was being built, but any plumber should be able to do this, and they usually know an electrician who can do the wiring.

Philly

one3175

If your looking for an electrictian to install pump/shower I'd recommend you use the site www.reci.ie/about.htm this is a reglatory body in Ireland which certifys electrictians that they have the correct qualifications and experience for electricial contractor work and the site searches for qualified electricians in your prarticular area of Ireland

Re: one3175

Pete

First, you should get a good plumber to look at the plumbing.

Unless the whole area runs out of water, you should not have a pressure problem, except in the drinking water tap in the kitchen. If the whole area runs out of water, then I don't think that a pump will help.

All the other water in the house should be fed from a tank in the attic. This automatically fills from the rising main. So, unless you are flushing the loo continuously or having 6 baths in quick succession, the tank should not empty and there should be plenty of pressure. ( It's possible that the taps are fed from the rising main and, if so, you should get them fed from the tank and this will solve your problem).

If the tank is emptying before it refills, there are a few things you can do. As already suggested, you can get a bigger tank or add a tank. You can install a dual flush w.c., which will use a lot less water. You can also put a brick in the w.c. to stop it using up so much water.

Brendan

water pressure

"You can also put a brick in the w.c. to stop it using up so much water"

I tried this but it blocked the toilet
& cracked the bowl :lol

:rollin

Pumps

I had a pump installed on all the taps in the main bathroom (as we are lucky enough to have fancy taps and a jacuzzi !) -we stuck the pump onto the tank in the hotpress - works excellent - taps are great BUT quite noisy - will have to look into some kind of soundproofing - it sounds like we're about to take off when we switch it on.

Also - pumps are quite expensive to run so you may want to get an electrician to wire it to a switch - then you can switch it on whenver you need pressure (otherwise you're washing machine and dishwasher will cost you a lorra money !)

I also have a built in pump in the shower (not electric) - it's a New Team shower and has excellent pressure (typical 'power shower' I think).

I would highly recommend it - you'll thank yourself for it after some long hours at the office !!

C

Re: Pumps

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me who you got to install the pump? Also, is it very expensive?

Pumps

Our on site plumber installed the pump (new house) - but it seemed to be pretty standard (i.e. they didn't resort to extortion) and they did a neat job - so I would imagine any reputable plumber would be capable.

The pump itself is a 3 bar pump (pretty high pressure) and cost us around £450 punts....pretty expensive one off cost but definitely well worth it !

Showers

I did some research about a year ago on the subject of "power showers". The most informative source of data was "Which" magazine which had conducted a scientific and technical study.

They concluded that the most powerful mixer shower was the Mira Event. A mixer shower is one that takes cold water from your tank, hot water from your immersion, mixes it according to the temprature setting, and sends it thru' an electric pump to the shower head. Basically, it's a small electric pump on the wall. It does not heat the water.

Showers which heat the water are efficient in terms of electricity consumption, but the pressure is generally much, much less than a mixer shower.

The Mira Event cost about EUR 300. Well worth it. Chadwicks stock them. Fitting is possible for a DIY enthusiast. If not, you need to get a recommended plumber.

Aqualisa do a neat pumped shower where you can install the pump in the attic above the bathroom...the boast beig you only need 4 screws for the install and you don't make This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language of your tiles.

Philysteak I think might be wrong. Generally, most average showers do not take their feed from the hot water tank. Most showers only take the cold feed off the mains, heat the water and chuck it out at you according to the pressure that the water in the mains is at.

The alternatives are to get a Mira Elite which has both a pump and heater in it but you have to connect it to your cold water tank.

You then have showers,,,such as the Aquarius from Aqualisa which have the pump built into them but not the heater, so they must take a feed from the hot and cold water tanks.

Then you have stuff like the Mira Elite(I think) which again is pumped but in that case its a seperate pump which is chucked in your hot press etc.

My first call for you would be to complain to the council that you have This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language water pressure in your area. Let them send out the lads and test it outside the house....at least then you know what level of pressure you have that is beyond your control no matter what

Back