Key Post: Washing Machine -v- Washer/Dryer Combined.

S

sueellen

Buying appliances for my new apartment next week, but I'm in a quandry as to whether to get a separate washing machine and dryer or a combo unit. Do any of these combo washer/ dryers work satisfactoraily or should I try and squeeze in the extra applicance which I don't really have room for?

As I'm a guy, I'm coming from a pretty low knowledge base here so ay help would really eciated

Re: Washer / dryer combo

if you're tight for space maybe a combi .you'll need a vent for the dryer or else a condensor dryer ,don't know if they do them in a combi.seperates are preferable in my experience anyway but a lot of apartments only leave space for one appliance in the kitchen.

I lived in an apartment with a washer/dryer combi for 5 years
Never had on bit of trouble with it. One point I would make is that the drum is quite a bit smaller than a normal separate dryer, so you will have to make sure not to overload it when on the dryer cycle.

washer/dryer

Hi
have had a Whirlpool washer/condenser-dryer for 10 years +. Great! Only need to be repaired once (had to replace a part) and that was only last year. There's only 2 of us in the household, so we don't generate huge amounts of laundry and use the dryer for certain things only (mainly sheets etc).
A washer/dryer combi doesn't have as efficient a dryer as a seperate one would be and doesn't do the same amount, but perfect for small amounts of laundry.

Re: washer/dryer

I had a Hotpoint washer dryer a few years back and the drum ripped holes in clothes. Engineer told me later it was known in the trade as a "Boiler and Shredder"

Washer/dryer

One disadvantage of W/D is that you either wash or dry, so if you have a large household or do spurts of housework (post weekend blitz type of arrangement) the combo may be restrictive

Nat

Hi Ziggyo,

This site www.washerhelp.co.uk/ and this section provides info on combination of washer/dryer Which is the best a combined washer-dryer or separates

"As I'm a guy, I'm coming from a pretty low knowledge base here so ay help would really eciated"

You might like to read this previous thread to do with dryers in case of any mishaps that you might have with drying particular items . The Argos might be another option especially if it does save on the ironing.

Good luck with your purchase. :)
------------------------------------------------------------
For the purposes of making key post have copied this separate thread to here:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kenny

Washing machine -v- Washer/Dryer

A question on behalf of my sister-in-law

How does a washer/dryer machine compare with two seperate machines - from a washing/drying perspective!

amb
Unregistere

I have used a washer / dryer and seperate washing machine and dryer . If they are all of the same quality the results are the same. Practical problems
- cannot dry clothes whilstwashing them! and
- if anything goes wrong with one part of machine you may have to replace it even if dryer still works.
- sometimes washer dryer not as energy efficient. Dryer capacity may be quite small

Himself

Drying generally takes longer with a washer/dryer than with a dryer alone. However, for our washer/dryer, we've found that the washing quality is indistinguishable from a washing machine alone.

I did some research in January of this year into washer/dryers (we had no choice but to go with them - space considerations), and the best I found was the ZANUSSI JETSYS.XC 1200 'A'

It's very easy to use, and has caused us no problems (yet! - we've only had it 5 months).

propertynewbie
Long term poster

kenny,

Have lived in two apartments where we had a combined washer/dryer and then at home have seperates.

would reccomend getting two seperate ones if you can.
a little more space lost perhaps, but I would say worth it in the long run.

Iano

I don't have a combo, but have heard that it is very difficult to dry bulky items such as bed sheets, because the cylinder is smaller than a regular dryer.

Cahir

I have a washer/dryer in my apartment at the moment. Having washed one load of washing, I need to split this into two smaller bundles (after taking out stuff that can't go in a dryer) and then dry the bundles for about 2.5 - 3 hours each.

When I move into my new house I am definitely buying a seperate washer and dryer - I don't care how much room it takes up!

kenny

Thanks guys for all that info. !

We have had this washer/dryer for a year now, and it still hasn't been any trouble.

There's no way that we could have spared the space for two machines so this worked out very well.

Hi everyone,

I have a whirlpool washer/dryer combo in a rented house and I do not know how to work the dryer!
The washer part works but I have no manual etc to figure out how to get the dryer part working?

anyone have any ideas?

Re: Vented or Condenser Dyer

Dinomeister
Unregistered User

Vented or Condensor Dryer???

Hi there,
I'm buying my first house and I have to buy a washing machine & tumble dryer. I'll be renting out a few rooms so I need fairly decent stuff. Can anyone tell me the advantages of buying a Condensor dryer instead of a vented dryer. I know I'll have to knock a hole in the wall for the vented one but are there any other big advantages. Also, can anyone recommend good reasonably priced brands. I was thinking of Hotpoint because my mother swears by them. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Skinflint
Unregistered User

Bear in mind that any sort of drier is going to cost a fair bit to run as they're pretty heavy on the oul electricity.

dunner

condensor dryer every time - dearer to buy but cleaner to run and much more durable.

Dinomeister
Unregistered User

I'm not that worried about the esb bill because I'll be splitting it between 3 or 4 people. I'd rather have wet cloths in the dryer than hanging on rads.
I also need to buy a washing machine and I'm thinking either Zanussi or Hotpoint. Should I buy the same make of washing machine & dryer? Is it worth my while spending a bit more to get a Bosch washing machine and a basic hotpoint dryer?

Skinflint
Unregistered User

Probably as well to buy one with a good energy efficiency rating so (A is most efficient, G is least efficient) if possible.

AlastairSCRegistered User

Be sure it reverses - we forgot this and everything comes out tangled!!

zag
Administrator

I would recommend a vented one - I have heard unsubstantiated rumours that the condensor ones aren't as efficient - plus you have to remember to empty them out. And it's fun knocking the hole in the wall for the vent, just remember to drill holes in the shape of the knockout first or you can end up with a very big hole. We actually use the exhaust from the vent to dry other stuff since the vent ends up in a kind of coal shed under the stairs - so it is doubly usefull.

z

davelerave
Frequent poster

i would say definitely vented ,i've never used the condensor but it's better to get rid of the steam has to be more efficient and no maintenance

rheinie
Frequent poster

Would not reccomend venting it into any other room or shed .or u will end up with dampness problems .as for breaking hole for vent u can hire a disc for cutting hole does the job perfect in about an hour.

zag
Administrator

The room it vents into has a somewhat loose fitting door to outside, so the air doesn't seem to linger.

Now that you mention it, the air coming out is damp almost by definition, but it dries the stuff anyway.

I agree that venting it into an indoor room is a bad idea.

Cheers.

z

The biggest cause of break downs in washer dryers is people putting on a full wash and then sending the cycle straight into the dryer mode.
The dryver capacity mode is only half that of the washer. Generally the washer can take 5Kgs, the dryer usually only 2.5Kg.

I'm told that some washing machines aren't suitable for use in apartments because of water pressure or something. Does anybody know anything about this?

We live in an apartment and had a useless washer dryer (condenser), I think it was zanussi, which we replaced with a much bigger washer dryer, also condenser, which we love. The brand is Lg and washes 7kg dries half that. 7kgs is loads, really easy to keep on top of the washing. You need the 3.5kg drying capacity imho.
If it's possible to go for a regular vented dryer I would as your clothes come out much less wrinkly and it's quicker.

My water pressure isn't great and the machine keeps stopping mid-programme and I have to start it again.

Can I top up the machine by pouring water into the powder drawer?

europhile said:
My water pressure isn't great and the machine keeps stopping mid-programme and I have to start it again.

Can I top up the machine by pouring water into the powder drawer?

AFAIK it is not possible to do this. IMHO the water will just pour back out.

a washer dryer dries using steam and so clothes actually get wetter before they get dry! Way to burn up the ozone layer!!

I have a Zanussi condenser dryer (10 ys old) and can't fault it - my washer is even older, 14 yrs and going strong - (bit prejudiced tho as most of my white goods are zanussi.)

I bought a washer dryer (condenser). There seems to be no fluff filter. Should there be such a thing or is it not necesscary cos it is a washing amchine aswell? Where does the fluff go?
Also, when I take clothes out at the end of a cycle the are often quite hot, and feel wet cos of the heat. Is this situation normal?

AFAIK it is not possible to do this. IMHO the water will just pour back out.
Not necessarily - once or twice our washing machine would not fill from the normal input and I filled it through the powder drawer no problem. But you hardly want to be doing this on a regular basis!

I bought a washer dryer (condenser). There seems to be no fluff filter. Should there be such a thing or is it not necesscary cos it is a washing amchine aswell? Where does the fluff go?
Also, when I take clothes out at the end of a cycle the are often quite hot, and feel wet cos of the heat. Is this situation normal?

Whakin, I had a great Zanussi Jet 1200 washer dryer. there was no separate fluff filter as per conventional dryer but the filter on the bottom of the machine, as on conventional washing machines would have to be cleared more often and contain wet fluff than normally on a washer.

Yes, based on what a service guy told me yesterday, with a combi washer dryer, clothes will feel hot but damp, they should be aired straight away and will then dry. I am getting this more so with my not so good washer/dryer that is integrated in the house I moved into.... the dryer is next to useless so I'm considering a separate washer & dryer.

Back