Key Post: Wardrobes

J

Joe Jetson

Hi

Bought a new house, only 2 bedroom, one bedroom has fitted wardrobes alreadyand the other does'nt.

Can anyone recommend someone who would supply and fit a fitted wardrobe (in the Blanchardstown area?)

Roughly how much can I expect to pay?

Ideally I'd like the wardrobes in both rooms to match in terms of desigh/color/look, nothing too fancy .. a few shelves and rails, approx 7-8 foot wide.

wardrobes

I think cash and carry kitchens do these? They have names/numbers of fitters also.

Re: wardrobes

Wow Joe. You're the exact opposite of my wife. The past two houses (new build) we've been in she insists on pulling them out.

If it's a new build and the builder's still on-site, ask him who fitted. For us, it was a crowd down off Cork Street in Dublin. Sometimes they put stickers up inside the wardrobes so check that out too.

Bedroom Elegance on Dorset Street is definitely worth a look.

A lot of their business is in the fit out of new estates but they also happily do custom jobs as once offs too .. I found their prices reasonable enough .. never compared them to Cash&Carry (didn't much like the look of their stuff) .. but compare to the Pannelling Centre /inHouse they were a lot cheaper - for what I was looking for Bedroom Elegance were charging about the same to build to fit and install for me as the other crowd were lookign for for off the shelf / stick together yourself flatpacks.

Father Dougal Maguire .. you should'nt be married to begin with! *L*

Thats for the info Dr Evil, I'll contact Bedroom Elegence as well as the builders, they are still on site, only half the estate is finished and i have a number for the foreman!

Fitted wardrobes

Hi

Bedroom Elegance have a website

www.bedroomelegance.com/

I contacted them in relation to a rough price for one of their fitted wardrobes (its called "The Burren" on their website) and it would be in the region of €2,300 supplied and fitted.

Would that price be the norm?

Re: Fitted wardrobes

I think it totally depends on the size of what you want what price it is ... the website just shows styles of what you can get .. as far as I can recall the prices were much the same accross the styles . .the size and configuration of the wardrobes was the key issue.

I've just email them for quotes for a 7ft wide fitted wardrobe in the "leinster style" .. one quote with the mirror cabinet etc (as shown on their website) and one quote without the mirror cabinet etc.. just plain old wardrobe space acrosss the 7 feet ... I'll post their reply!

It turns out elegent bedrooms are the company who put in the fitted wardrobe for the builders in the master bedroom so i asked them for the same style/design in the other bedroom.

Because of the size, they say it will require 2 fitted wardrobes??? at a cost of €1000 in total.

If i book them now i get them in mid-sept.

Fitted Wardrobes

Try IMAGES in Ashbourne - got them recently
excellent price and workmanship

Re: Fitted Wardrobes

hmmm.... just to follow up.

I made an on-line inquiry via the elegentbedrooms website last thursday (made the phone enquiry on friday) .. and they phoned me back with a quote of €900 and they can do it in in next few weeks! (and €100 less then the phone quote and fitting a few weeks earlier)..

Some other posts

Well head
Built in Wardrobe or slide robe

Does any one know where you can buy doors for a full length fitted wardrobe / sliderobe doors. I want to install it myself and have gone to Sliderobe and they want to charge me €1500 for three doors and the guide rail. I find this hard to swallow as the materials themselves may cost €500 at a push. Has the Tiger really taken our eye off what the cost of products are.

Crunchie
Re: Built in Wardrobe or slide robe

Woodies and B&Q stock Stanley sliding wardrobe doors and all the track, accessories, etc. Simple to put up if you're any way handy. B&Q were a lot cheaper.

Well head
Re: Built in Wardrobe or slide robe

Thanks Crunchie,
I had looked at the Stanley range very cheap looking and flimsy, I had wanted something more substantial. I can get the rails in Woodies supplied by a company called Henderson but they do not supply doors.
Cheers.

Anon2398
Painting wardrobes

We have fitted wardrobes in our house that aren't exactly to our taste. We can't afford to replace them for a considerable time, and I was wondering if they can be painted. I don't know what the name of the material they are made from is - but it's not wood and it looks sort of acrylic/plastic. Normal paint would scrap and chip on it. Anyone painted wardrobes like this and how did it work out?

Thanks.

Clubman
Painting wardrobes

This commercial site has some good DIY tips (which are also published in the Northside/Southside free newspapers) and I think that they covered this topic at some stage. (I don't have any vested interest in IGOE by the way). Click on the Hot Topics link and download the DIY tips documents in case there's anything useful in there. As far as I know it's generally possible to paint wardrobe doors (even those that have a synthetic covering) but you do need the right preparation and materials.

www.igoe.ie/

sueellen
Re: Painting wardrobes

This might be worth investigating though not sure if it would work out expensive on a large area like wardrobe doors
[broken link removed]

janeymac

hi
there are various primers you can get for melamine and those kind of surfaces - I got one in Woodies as I want to paint my 'lovely' shiny white plasticy wardrobe doors as well. Appartently once you clean them well and paint on the primer you can paint them with any satin wood paint - hopefully I'll have nice cream doors in a few days time - if it all goes pear shaped I'll let you know! :) If I make a mess of it I'll just have to buy new ones - oh well another excuse to go shopping.

anon2398
Let me know how you get on

Hi Janeymac - would love to know how it goes for you, so please post with any hints and tips.

Thanks for all the replies!

Cashman
You will have no Problems

Hi Guys,

We just did our nice shiny ones approx 6 months ago.

As said earlier, if you use the primer first & make sure to use a satin base paint its no problem.

We did make the mistake of using the primer & NOT a satin based paint - we just used matt - the problems with dust were terrible..........we had been painting Black & the shiny wardorbes became literally a blackboard.........

Good Luck
Cashman

BlueSpud

We did a similar job recently in out kids room. We used eggshell paint & my wife put stencils on it, it looks great.

Anon2398
Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. That's my next DIY job now so!

mossfitzg
Wardrobes

I really need someones reccomendation of a decent carpenter who will build fitted wardrobes / cupboards in a dublin house. The spaces are kind of awkward so they have to be made special.

Anyone any ideas or the costs

Thanks

Rutigur
Re: Wardrobes

I got an extension and some built-in wardrobes done by Sheerin Construction - 087 6810427, think theyre Southside ,based and was well happy with them cos kept the appointments they made when other builders never showed, were well priced and did a grand job.

mossfitzg
Re: Wardrobes

Thanks rutigur,

appreciate advice

Back