Key Post: Transferring Files From PC to Laptop??

Re: copying between machines

If you have usb, then buy a usb memory stick. All addresses sepcified about.

Moving your memory will do nothing. Your data is on the hard disk, a different piece of hardware.

memory stick is the exact same as a folppy disk except it goes into the usb ports.

An average one to buy would be for 128 MB, which is nearly 100 times more than a floppy disk. You might have to move your files in batches.

Again how much data (in meagbytes?) are you transfereing?

Transferring Files From PC to Laptop??

One relatively simple and cheap way to transfer small numbers of files between two PCs where none of the previous suggestions work is to use a null modem serial cable to connect the two PCs then use the standard terminal emulator (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> HyperTerminal ) on each to send individual files from one PC to the other.

[broken link removed]

Transferring Files

Thank you so much Unreg! I've been ringing round and the cheapest/earliest IT help would be £60.00 and they can't come until next Wednesday so your advice is very much appreciated and I'll try hyperlink.

Transferring Files

As I say - if the number of files is small enough then HyperTerminal and a null modem cable should suffice, be quick/handy enough and be relatively cheap (c. €10 or so I'd imagine). You should be able to get a suitable cable from Peats or the like:

[broken link removed]

Chances are that you will want one with 9 pin female connectors at each end but check the RS232/serial ports at the back of each PC to be sure.

Alternatively the same sort of thing may be possible using something like the USB Link cable listed here on Marx Computers for €25. If you can't source a suitable null modem cable and are considering the latter instead then give them a call and explain what you're trying to do. They're generally very helpful and sometimes even let you try stuff out and return it if it doesn't meet your needs:

[broken link removed]

Transferring Files

Actually I didn't realise that it may be possible to network two Windows PCs using a direct cable connection (DCC) as well:

[broken link removed]

... although I'd still recommend HyperTerminal as the simplest DCC solution. Run HyperTerminal on both PCs and select Transfer -> Receive File... on the receiver PC and Transfer -> Send File... on the sending PC.

Transferring Files

: eek terrifying! I'm full of admiration for folks who do this stuff professionally. Well here goes and willl let you know how I get on!

Transferring Files

> Well here goes and willl let you know how I get on!

With the HyperTerminal and null modem cable approach I presume? Post back if you have problems. If you have many files to transfer then I just thought that you could ZIP them up into one or more larger files and transfer them that way to cut down on the number of individual transfers that are required. Good luck.

Re: Transferring Files

Another option might be to mail them to yourself from the source machine and then read your mail & save the attachments on the laptop.

Transferring Files

Dougal would that necessitate having two ISP's or two accounts?

May I suggest to the moderators that this thread is becoming a comprehensive "P.C.Upgrade Manual" and might be usefully kept as a key post.

Transferring Files

> Another option might be to mail them to yourself from the source machine and then read your mail & save the attachments on the laptop.

Good idea! At least for a small numbers of sizes of files.

> Dougal would that necessitate having two ISP's or two accounts?

No. You can connect to your ISP with the source PC, attach the files and send them to your own email address, disconnect, then connect and collect the email containing the attached file(s) with the destination PC/laptop. Obviously you will need to be able to connect to your ISP using either PC (e.g. they will both need to have modems - or network interface cards if using broadband etc.). You may also need to tweak your email client settings to prevent the sending PC from immediately collecting the email that you send with the attached files before you are able to disconnect or shut down the email application or PC. Or else configure your email account so that it leaves a copy of emails that you collect on the server.

Does this make sense to you?

Back