Key Post: the best pizza in Dublin?

I have never got (what I consider to be an authentic italian) pizza in this country, i have pretty much given up on italian restaurants (i prefer my own pasta as opposed to the slop that one is normally served here). However, the ristorante range of frozen pizza from Dr Oekter are the closest I've found. Throw a bit of onion and a bit of tuna on their pizza mozzarella and we have the authentic 'tonno e cippolla' beloved from my trips to italy.
Anyone tried the Bar Italia area - i had some bresaola there once which was tasty and overall it seems as authentic as is possible to get here (there's even a tricolore hanging, must be to celebrate the relegation of Juve!!).

Glenbhoy said:
I have never got (what I consider to be an authentic italian) pizza in this country

Is this not a contradiction ? I thought that pizza originated in the Italian American community, i.e. not native to Italy ?

Is this not a contradiction ? I thought that pizza originated in the Italian American community, i.e. not native to Italy ?
No, not that I know of, the neapolitans claim it's their invention, i had a pizza in the place where the first (modern style) pizza was born circa 1850 (or so they said!!).
There was obviously mass emmigration from southern italy/sicily to the states so many dishes that we think of as italian did come from the states, in the main meaty pasta dishes such as bolognese (were meated up quite a bit, cos meat was more plentiful in the states presumably) additionally, many italian/american dishes are spicier too (you'd struggle to find garlic in milanese dishes for example - or even onions).

Don't give up on Italian in Dublin. Enoteca Torino in Inchicore offers a choice of 4-6 different fresh pastas (made onsite) every night priced between 8 and 10 euro, with a choice of 5/6 different styles. Throw in the best Italian wine in Dublin priced between 16 & 24 euro and you have yourself a cracking find.

Apparently pizza ovens were unearthed in Pompeii and Herculaneum, forever ending the dispute about where the dish was invented.

dr oekter is made in Germany! Aldi do a frozen pizza actually made in Italy. Heinz make pizzas at their Dundalk factory but I dont think they are for sale in Ireland. They are not frozen just chilled. ( the even have a baked beans one, how authentic is that:p?

dieter1 said:
Don't give up on Italian in Dublin. Enoteca Torino in Inchicore offers a choice of 4-6 different fresh pastas (made onsite) every night priced between 8 and 10 euro, with a choice of 5/6 different styles. Throw in the best Italian wine in Dublin priced between 16 & 24 euro and you have yourself a cracking find.

I drive by this place every day coming home from work and it is always busy !! I will stop one of these days to try it for myself !

Hows about Dominoes Pizza in Tallaght the busiest Dominoes Takeaway in the world, - judging by the quantity not quality maybe?

Bigfoot said:
There's a small place called Toffoli on Castle street in the city centre - best pizza i've ever had outside Italy, and so reasonably priced!

I am a regular here as it is just around the corner from work. Not sure how they stay in business as the number of covers is very small. Great sandwiches also with fresh ingredients. If nothing takes your fancy, Leo Burdocks is only just around the corner where there is always a queue.

Just in case any of you ever happen to venture west, Pizza Primo (Canavaun's Bar) on main street of Cliffoney in North Sligo does real nice pizzas. Best within a 20 mile radius of me anyway. I am so jealous though of all the eating options in Dublin compared to South Donegal/North Sligo.

Sarsfield said:
I love Il Fornaio in the IFSC. I agree they may be a bit over-generous with the cheese for some peoples liking, but the pizza base is the best around by a long way.

Nice house red and outstanding coffee too.

Went there for lunch today and had an ordinary enough pizza, tomato sauce bit bland, dough bit salty, lots of cheese. Coffee bit disappointing too tbh. Is this a sister place to place of same name in Inchicore ?

There's an Il Fornaio in Kilbarrack.

The only place I can think of in Inchicore is Mick Wallace's place on Grattan Terrace.

no Enoteca Torino is inchicore is part of Mick Wallaces little empire. Three places now. Its much better than the one in town, though. Its packed most nights of the week, go early or book and wait

definitely NOT Four Star Pizza!!!!!!!!! I could tell some nightmare stories, but I won't waste my breath - suffice it to say, stay away!

definitely NOT Four Star Pizza!!!!!!!!! I could tell some nightmare stories, but I won't waste my breath - suffice it to say, stay away!

:D I'm with you on that, even thinking of my one Four Star Pizza experience has me reaching for the Alka Seltzer :(

Any one who ever finds themselves in Brooklyn, make sure you visit here:

www.grimaldis.com

Awesome isn't the word, try 'aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome'.

In my humble opinion having lived in Italy North and South for a number of years the only decent pizza I've had in Dublin is Pasta Fresca Chatham St. My personal taste is a thin crispy margherita with some capers, anchovies. However the quality of the pizza depends on the pizza chief. Syed makes the best pizzas and has recently departed to set up shop in tallagh, alas!
Second to Pasta Fresca is Milanos part of the UK Pizza Express chain. Great pizza - but a bit on the small side.
Most pizzerias provide very bready pizzas - you end up wiyth a pain in your mounth from chewing. Most of the others mentioned have not experienced or they were dreadful. Independent Pizza Dorset street - whatever they make its not a pizza!

just a bit down the road, left a little, then right and then up the stairs, is the best pizza in Ireland.

Blue Zone in Dingle. (a mere 200km from Dublin) Jazz, Wine & Pizza. - No pasta, no steak, no sandwiches, just wine & pizza. The thinnest crustiest pizza you will find anywhere!

Yum

Any one who ever finds themselves in Brooklyn, make sure you visit here:

www.grimaldis.com

Awesome isn't the word, try 'aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome'.

+1 on that. I love Grimaldis, apart from the queue. Last time we were there we queued for 35 mins then when we got in half the tables were empty. Starting to wonder if the queue is all part of Grimaldis. That and being cash only!

Back