Key Post: The best coffee in Dublin ?

Re: The best coffee in Dublin ?

Yes - I must ask my employer to put me up in better places than the SF Hilton for example. Thanks for the tip.

Vanilla said:
Rombout were individual plastic cup like moulds, with coffee in the base. You sat one on a cup, filled it up to the water mark and put on a lid. The water gradually filtered down through the permeable base into the cup. They were for once-off use only and then discarded. I think the only reason I remember them so well is that one of the waitresses tried to nick a box of them when leaving and the daughter of the owner caught her. They were expensive bloody yokes even then!

Tesco.ie has a 10pk of Rombout coffee filters for €3.42. Expensive, but not half as expensive as stopping at Starbucks every morning!

for instance the coffee in dunkin donuts is as very good

Shurely shome mishtake? Dunkin Donuts has even worse coffee than the overpriced dishwater they call coffee in Starbucks. Warm and wet is about all it has going for it.

ClubMan said:
Yes - I must ask my employer to put me up in better places than the SF Hilton for example. Thanks for the tip.

Hmm. Is this your hotel? Sounds like the coffee there might be bad all right!

[broken link removed]

extopia said:
Hmm. Is this your hotel? Sounds like the coffee there might be bad all right!

[broken link removed]
Why? Those reviews don't mention the coffee. And the area isn't as bad as some of the reviews claim. It's just down from Union Square and I've never noticed any problems in the area. It's definitely not in Fisherman's Wharf as claimed by one reviewer!

The Best cappuccino in Dublin i have come across is in Cafe Aroma, just off Dame Street! Its So good when i try to make one at home i use Cafe Aroma as my goal! How sad is that! Honestly try it.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the Metro Cafe, next to Mao's on Chatham Street. Well now someone has.

lynchtp said:
Cork Cork Cork Cork Cork

Also Fast Als pizza has great coffee (shame its only togo).

I am in LOVE with their pizza.

I like Gloria Jeans - I presume they are in Dublin too.

I haven't tried Costa Coffee yet.

I particularly like GJ's Sumatra Dark but haven't had it in a long time now.

I take it all back...... try Rio Coffee on Trinity street! great Cappuccino. Anyone know a nice place in Dublin for Coffee.. laid back relaxing etc.. most places seem to have high stools and are not designed to chill out.. except Bewleys!

I agree with Clubman! Just back from New York and the coffee in the diners was universally luke warm and not great. Starbucks Gingerbread Latte though was hot and vv tasty - although around 3 zillion calories. I went into the new Barney's on Westmoreland street recently and was very disappointed - the coffee was cold, overpriced and generally distasteful.

Bewleys by far the best even the yanks I know think so

Bewley's under new management is not the Bewley's of old. Do they actually serve Bewley's coffee (which is not necessarily bad)?

Great coffee in the College Green Starbucks. Thankfully they seem to be serving the American as opposed to the London recipe (Starbucks London is probably among the world's worst coffee shops in terms of value).

Bewleys by far the best even the yanks I know think so

No offence to your American friends, but Americans are not exactly the arbiters of good coffee. What you want is an opinion from an Italian as to whether Bewleys coffee is any good.

Which, in this Irishman's opinion, it sure as hell is not. Or at least wasn't when I last had it, just before they went bust. Haven't been back since, primarily due to what was always dreadful coffee and appalling service.

If you make your own coffee, the coffee bean stall in the Temple Bar market (Saturday afternoons) is very good, with a large selection of different types. Their takeaway coffees are pretty good too!

How about the little Italian panini/coffee place in the Epicurean Centre, Middle Abbey St? Very good coffee, decent prices ...

AFAIK that one is called Aroma Bistro. I've heard it mentioned as the best. It seems to be run by Italians.

Back