Key Post: Recommendations for tools.

Re: recommendation for drill

Tooled-Up site says they will only deliver to the UK though.
Leo

Is it worth repairing a motor in a Bosch 450w drill? I was doing alot of masonary drilling and smoke started coming out of it and then it just stopped.

Motor's burned out, generally cheaper to replace than repair I'm afraid, especially when you can get an industrial rated Bosch such as [broken link removed] for under €100.

If you're going to be doing a lot of masonary work, you could go for an SDS drill, many of these come with dual SDS & standard keyless chucks.
Leo

Aldi has (since last Sunday, but I was in Parnell Street yesterday and they still had a good few). Bought one (hopefully should be ok for the occasional jobs I have to do around the house), but one thing I noticed was that each time I start it, there's a small flint-like flash inside (which I can see through the ventilation holes in the side). Is this normal?? Mere female here... don't know these things!!

The flash you see is the carbon brushes brushing against the armature which produces the spark you see as the electricity flows from the brush to the armature- perfectly normal and to be expected.

Thanks for the reassurance Carpenter!
(I don't understand 99% of the technical detail in the above sentence, but at least I know it's OK.)

The carbon brush and armature is similar to the arrangement used to power the cars in "dodgems" or "bumpers" as we called them. It's just an electrical spark that occurs as the "live" contact (brush in the case of a motor) comes into contact with the "armature" which is basically a "hub" with copper contacts attached to it.

If you are using the drill for hammer action regularly you need a 24v drill or mains powered.

Anything less has not enough power and runs the battery down in no time.

The best combination if you are doing a lot of work is a fairly cheap mains hammer action drill and a light cordless 18v with 2 batteries for screwing and to get to inaccessable places.

Also depends to a degree on the quality of the drill, 18V DeWalt is more than capable of masonry work...
Leo

Just have to comment on the SDS drills , Argos have a couple of them which go for under 100 euro. If you have any big masonry jobs to do like drilling through walls or any light jack hammer work they are incredible.
Quality isn't the best and I wouldn't expect them to last years but I have used them to drill right through exterior walls for extractors etc and they are a joy to work with.
They work as hammer drills and also as jack hammers so can be used for lifting tiles, breaking small amounts of concrete , chasing etc.
They just go through walls easily with none of the leaning etc you have to do with normal drills.

Leo said:
Tooled-Up site says they will only deliver to the UK though.
Leo

I've ordered from them in the past and they delivered to me in Dublin no hassle.

Back