Key Post: Reasonable' golf club membership outside Dublin

Re: Cheap golf membership

Hi there.

I'm a member in Portlaoise golf club - it's literally on the edge of Portlaoise town so is really accesable by the motorway (2nd entry road to Portlaoise not the first). It's genuinley 45 minutes from the Red Cow - it has taken my over 55 mins since the road works, but I'm hoping it'll be under 40 mins after the road works are done. To put it in relation to a previous post - Roscrea is about 30 mins further on.

The membership is €550 for first year and €400 there after. The club house is brand new (only open since Paddys day).

The yardage is only 5,200 yrds - but it's a tough track as it is really tight and the greens are very fast.

They have the Sunday comps - so just put your name down and join in. Nice atmosphere - it's not snobby and people are friendly. It is cheap and cheerful though - no practice facilties (no driving range or putting green etc.)

Thks everyone for your suggestions. I will look into them and let you know my decision.

Proactive said:
Hi,

Can anyone offer advice on good value (cheap) golf membership anywhere in Ireland but preferably not too far from Dublin. I am looking to join a club to obtain a handicap and get in some much needed practice.

Thks.

Cavan and Djouce compared favourably to others based on a (limited) survey in yesterday's Irish Times.

Apparently you can join Swinford for 100 euros, send in 3 cards signed by handicap players and they will issue you with a handicap if that is your only requirement.

There is another post on this topic ... if you search on golf membership it should return it for you.

Henny Penny said:
There is another post on this topic ... if you search on golf membership it should return it for you.

You're not wrong-it was a thread started by me that was made a Key Post!

So I've merged the two threads.

Slievenamon Golf Club
CLUB MEMBERSHIP 2006
The club is now in a position to welcome new members to the club. Distance members (over 50 miles) and overseas members are welcome for a fee of €150.
This will entitle you to have an official GUI handicap and GUI membership card.
Membership is for a full year (if you join the club during Oct, 2005, your membership will be due on the 1st of October 2006).
To obtain a G.U.I. handicap you will have to supply one of the following:
1. A handicap cert from your former club.
2. Your eight digit Golf Net number which is on the back of your G.U.I. membership card. This is for handicap verification from the G.U.I. central database of G.U.I. members handicaps.
3. If you have no official G.U.I. handicap you will have to play the course three times with a member. Our handicap committee will then issue you with your handicap which for new members will not exceed 17.5 exact handicap.
Download Membership Application Form

Hi, Just played Elm Green, Castleknock last week . Beautiful course open to public, has a club operating out of there affliliated to Golfing Union of Ireland which can give you an official handicap. AFAIK the club is presently advertising for members and cost would be in hundreds ,not in thousands. The green are perfect and the course not too long. Seniors can play midweek for €14 for 18 holes.

Woodlands ....
indeed one of kildars best kept secrets, i never heard of it. Its now easier to understand why millicent and the newer dunmurray have not increased their membership fees in the past while.

I was hoping to join a club within an hour's drive of Meath. Does anyone have any info on joining a club in this area?

Ballinlough Castle Seem to have two great options on deals at the moment,
just outside Athboy Co. Meath

Would Navan be too far for you to travel? I have no connnection with Navan Golf Club.

Regarding Ballinlough Castel. Their current offer seems too good to be true. When something is too good to be true it probably is. Look closely and ask yourself why they want people to join for €250 as soon as possible (no joining fee that's the annual sub) and come to the only reasonable conclusion.

I am still tempted but for anyone out there please read between the lines and see a risk not a gift horse.

If all you're interested in is getting a handicap, then one of the public courses will do. I joined Elm Green years ago for £150 just to get a GUI handicap. The website says it's €450 now. (Btw, some of the cheaper courses are very nicely laid out and kept. I've been very unimpressed with some of the so-called "posher" ones).

Does anyone know if the Dublin Golf Links (??) is still running something similiar for cheap membership to get a GUI?

Moved to Newbridge a year ago and decided to take up golf. So many courses around, I can't bring myself to join one. Just too much variety. Anyone interested in setting up a golf society to play once every two weeks or so, in the Kildare area??

Regarding Ballinlough Castel. Their current offer seems too good to be true.

Having checked them out by way of a phone call, Ballinloughs offer is 250 per annum for distance membership plus 10 euro per round midweek and 15euro per round at weekends, you do get 3 rounds free to get your handicap and you will pay GUI/ILGU subs as an addition in year 2

They also have an annual membership which is 700euro for all the golf you can play. again GUI/ILGU subs due in year 2.

Neither of these 2 memberships entitle you to any voting rights,

They do have a full membership with full voting rights at e5000 but are not offering any of these positions at present.

This seems to be the most cost effective way of any club in the country to get a handicap and play golf for a reasonable price and it would appear that this is the clubs view for offering such membership types.

But you will have to make your own mind up

Back