Key Post: PRSI Explained - 2008 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PRSI Explained

Prsi is calculated on the Gross taxable salary - e.g. gross less pension contributions that qualify for tax and PRSI/health levy relief.

i get health care of €52.93 a month.... is this BIK added to my gross salary and then PRSI is calculated on that total amount?

thanks

Yes. If your employer is paying private health insurance premiums on your behalf then they should be subject to tax and PRSI/health contribution deductions via payroll. In that case you are also still entitled to claim a tax credit in respect of the gross premiums. See here:

[broken link removed]

The 2% health levy, does this levy cease when you retire at 65?

The 2% health levy, does this levy cease when you retire at 65?

no, the health levy is usually payable up to 70 years of age. Taken from Citizens Advice site:-

People between the ages of 16 and 70 may have to pay the Health Levy. Employed people with income of €480 or less in any week are exempt from the contribution in that week. This is currently 2% if their income is over a certain amount - €480 (January 2007) per week. The rate is 2% on earnings above €100,100 a year. Self-employed people with income of €24,960 or less per annum are exempt from the Health Levy. Anyone over the exemption limits is liable to pay the Health Levy on all of their income. Income from social welfare payments is ignored in calculating your income for the Health Contribution.
A number of groups do not have to pay the Health Levy:
  • Everyone aged 70 or over
  • Medical Card holders (including those who have Medical Cards exclusively because of EU regulations or because they are aged 70 or over)
  • People who are getting Widow's/Widower's Pension, a One-Parent Family Payment or Deserted Wife's Allowance from the Department of Social and Family Affairs or a widow's pension from an EU country.

Re: PRSI Explained

Hi There, I am a newby to askaboutmoney. I wanted to find out some information in relation to the Income Levy and the Health Levy. I am a temp working for a recruitment agency. I am a full medical card holder so can someone confirm that I am not subject to either the Income or Health Levy? And can i claim back monies I have paid since I first received my medical card (nearly three years ago). My wages also got docked 8% in line with public sector pension levy recently so I am hoping someone has some good news for me!!

Thanks

Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back