Key Post: New York, New York.

Re: Best website for booking New York accommodation?

Another priceline fan here (I have used hotwire in the past and liked it but find I can get better deals on priceline).

We got the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central Station in NYC for $120 a night instead of $295.

Priceline is a little scary at first, check out www.betterbidding.com for tips and ideas on how and where to bid.

For NYC we only bid on 4* (too many dodgy places included in the 3* ranking) in Midtown East. It can only be the Hyatt or the Intercontinental - both perfect.

Good luck!

Re: Best website for booking New York accommodation?

Check the booking sites to get an idea of price and location that suits you. But also check direct on the websites of any of the hotels who have one, as they often have specials.

Last summer I got Fitzpatrick's Manhattan direct for much much less than any of the booking agents were offering.

Hi

Anyone care to give me some shopping tips for my trip to New York next week? Am only going to have a couple of days in Manhatten. I would like to buy some decent stuff but am presuming it will be cheaper than here.

Rgs, Ann

Jersey Gardens a definite must. Plenty of shops under one roof and about 25 mins from manhattan by bus.

Hi

Anyone care to give me some shopping tips for my trip to New York next week? Am only going to have a couple of days in Manhatten. I would like to buy some decent stuff but am presuming it will be cheaper than here.

Rgs, Ann

So how did it go? Im going in a few weeks, any info for me?

I also heard that in one of the outlet stores, if you show your passport you get a discount. I think the place is called woodbury common. Is this true?

Hi, was there in September. Tips:

1. Theres only 1 resturant I would eat in at Times Square - Ruby Tuesday.
Didn't like the other resturants at Times Sq.

2. Don't get a ricshaw (sorry if bad spelling). They're a rip off. Stick with Taxis.

3. Subway is a little hard to get used to at first, but well worth the effort.

4. We stayed in the Milford plaza. It was very rundown, but rooms were clean and cheap, had a safe and was 5 mins walk from Times Square.

5. Spring St for Shoes.

6. Abercrombie and Fitch - Personally I though this was THE best clothes shop in NY. I would have spent hundreds in here if I could. Its located across from the Seaport at Pier 17.

7. Bleecker St (in Greenwich) is lively and has some good bars on it.

8. Century 21 gave me a headache, too much stuff. You will find great bargains there, but personally I couldn't wait to get out of it.

This site has some good tips:
[broken link removed]

Have a great trip.

K

Last edited:
Getting to Manhattan from JFK:-
We followed the directions to the SkyTrain in Arrivals and travelled to Howard Beach Station (note: you pay at Howard Beach station). Then we took the A Train. You can buy a cheaper return SkyTrain+subway ticket from Howard Beach to Manhattan Subway Stations. Note: we also puchased weekly subway Metro Cards ($24 each) which proved very economical and saved a lot of time. The Subway was safe for us, even late at night, though we are used to travelling in cities.

One block away behind the World Trade Center, near Ground Zero, is PJ Clarkes (http://www.pjclarkes.com/) where you can eat and drink overlooking the water with a view of the Statue of Liberty until the wee small hours. There is also a very pleasant walk along the shoreline from there to Clinton Fort at Battery City Park (15minutes walk) where you can take a ferry trip to Liberty and Ellis island. We found the Heartland Brewery ([broken link removed]), beside the Empire State, at 350 Fifth Avenue at 34th Street , very good value for food. The beer was also the best I found in Manhattan! We also had great pizzas at Lombardis ([broken link removed] Little Italy (Subway 6 stop at Spring Street ) at 32 Spring St, between Mott and Mulberry Streets. For a real NYC experience, Katz's Delicatessan () at 205 East Houston Street (corner of Ludlow Street) on the Lower East Side is a must-do for (used in the film Harry Met Sally... for that famous scene). It's a good area for a Sunday morning walk around. The Metropolitan Art Museum, besides being a fantastic museum, also has an award winning restaurant in the basement and is also great for lunch. There is also a rooftop where you can buy coffee and take in great views. Central Park on Saturday/Sunday (bands etc) is also an essential and the John Lennon memorial and apartment are nearby too.

NYC is graet for walking and exploring the different districts!

Shopping for electronics goods:-
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
[broken link removed]

Essential bookshop:-
http://www.strandbooks.com/
(Think: The Winding Stair in Dublin x 100!)

N.B. too many people waste their time in just going to NYC to shop! Don't take the day trips to shopping centres! This is a waste! Just go to quality shops and buy less and buy what you cannot get or afford at home. Century 21 nearly had me filing for divorce! Hell! There is too much to see in NYC to spend the time shopping!

The crossroads of planet Earth!

Yesterday's Irish Independent did a decent New York feature in their Weekend supplement.

Hi

I booked a show for later this week in NYC but apparently most, including mine!, have been cancelled due to the stagaehand strike on Broadway! Full refunds are being offered though...

S

Hi, was there in September. Tips:

1. Theres only 1 resturant I would eat in at Times Square - Ruby Tuesday.
Didn't like the other resturants at Times Sq.

2. Don't get a ricshaw (sorry if bad spelling). They're a rip off. Stick with Taxis.

3. Subway is a little hard to get used to at first, but well worth the effort.

4. We stayed in the Milford plaza. It was very rundown, but rooms were clean and cheap, had a safe and was 5 mins walk from Times Square.

5. Spring St for Shoes.

6. Abercrombie and Fitch - Personally I though this was THE best clothes shop in NY. I would have spent hundreds in here if I could. Its located across from the Seaport at Pier 17.

7. Bleecker St (in Greenwich) is lively and has some good bars on it.

8. Century 21 gave me a headache, too much stuff. You will find great bargains there, but personally I couldn't wait to get out of it.

This site has some good tips:
[broken link removed]

Have a great trip.

K

Its hilarious how different people are. I too was in NY in sept (for 10 days). I thought that the abercrombie store (i hear they are all similar - this was in midtown)was the most revolting shopping experience I have ever had. Its more expensive than all the usual (GAP/American Eagle etc.) yet the stuff is the exact same with a different logo. The music is nightclub loud, the place is completely dark (you need to go to a light to see a piece of clothing), its disgracefully packed. They've built a brand around this (somehow) but its the worst shopping experience I have ever had.

If you like food, pick up the Zagat Survey guide (about $15) and get onto menupages.com for all the latest food places. There are great food places everywhere, but you need to know where to look. Zillions of places on third avenue below 42nd and above 15th, every type of place.

We stayed in the Dumont Plaza, we had a very spacious two room suite overlooking the hudson. It was about $250 per night, but it was high season.

Bleeker street is like georges street on a saturday night, east village is sort of like camden street (a step down, but much more fun).

We didnt take a taxi in 10 days (ok the weather was great), public transport is fantastic, subway is essential. Make sure you hotel is near it.

Hotels in Brooklyn

Has anyone ever stayed in Brooklyn as an alternative to the overpriced hotels on Manhattan?

Back