Key Post: Mosquitoes

Going to campsite in the south of France. Mosquitoes are a real problem as campsite is set in a wooded area (Sequoia Park, Marennes). We are travelling with our two daughters aged 5 and 2. Any of these mosquitoes deterents safe for children? We have no air-con. so we will have to have windows open if it really hot and windows do not have nets.

wouldnt use DEET on kids . Not sure if there has been studies since on its affects on adults but i had no side affects used it for 8 weeks.

Bought a zapper in Dublin airport for mosquito bites. Contains quartz to give an electirc charge which neutralises the bite. No more itchy lumps...

Can't remember the name but very effective. It about size of a lipstick. They were selling it in the travel gadget section in duty free

The plug-ins with a fresh tablet each night is 100% effective. I'm just back from a mozzie few nights and I bring this with me every time. You can buy it anywhere - airport shops have them. When sitting out in the evening pour out some citronella into a small saucer and thats works too. Or use spray.

i second the Avon "Skin so softly" vote. (green and not the pink bottle) keeps all midges and mosquitoes away. read somewhere that british army recommends it to their soldiers during jungle training.

ACtually now that you say it, that's right re the malaria.

Mind you, I tried it and it worked! And the mozzies loved me before.

so far as I can recall quinine is used to treat rather than prevent.

Maybe not nowadays but certainly remember my sister taking quinine tablets about 14/15 years ago as a preventative anti-malarial before a safari.

In any case I don't think anyone was seriously suggesting that a G&T would suffice ( although I might be persuaded to do a trial).;)

Vanilla, as one who has been food for mozzies for the past 2 summers in exotic Drogheda, I can be the North-East rep in the trial.....oops, better make sure this doesn't become a medical debate!! :D

Seriously though, I found the plug-in repellants quite good though I still got bitten - my bedroom is an attic room which gets unbearably hot if I don't open a window so I can't escape the little biters totally(even if I'm covered up, they bite my face). I got a mosquito net (similar to those sold by Aldi/Lidl recently), will let you know how I get on with that.

i second the Avon "Skin so softly" vote. (green and not the pink bottle) keeps all midges and mosquitoes away. read somewhere that british army recommends it to their soldiers during jungle training.

Hey!

Can you give me some idea of where I could get the Avon bug guard stuff? I tried the website but the US one does not deliever outside the US and I emailed the UK one but they never emailed me back. Any ideas?

B

Hi Bradfield,

Not sure if you have had a look for a local Avon representative?

The product seems to be advertised .

If you are in Dublin and cannot find a local representative I can send you a PM of someone who sells it.

Use a DEET based mozzie repellent (at least 30% - stronger for tropical countries). I know it is smelly but it works brilliantly. I tried some non DEET sprays but they don't work as near as well.

One brand I would recommend is Jungle Formula (white bottle/green label). Can get it in most pharmacies.

Back