Key Post: Money Saving Tips/Advice.

Lost Post!!

Hi

There was a reply posted to my original question yesterday and I subsequently asked another. Both have now disappeared. Any pointers, Clubman?

Slim

Re: Lost Post!!

Hiya Slim,
I replied to your post yesterday, someone moved it to the Good Deals/Bad Deals section in the Eircom thread.

Cheaply-tips and sites.

Like money saving tips too. Found a lot of them under the good deals section, and indeed scattered about this site. Rollercoaster.ie have a frugal tips under their miscellaneous and money matters board.

I like the fact that these two sites are Irish and so of course more relevant to those of us who are strugalling to keep a few cents in our pockets.

www.parentsplace.com also has a couple of `Frugal Living` and `Frugal Recipe` boards.

My tips are to do a monthly menu. Work out your shopping list based on that . Do your biggest shop then in Aldi/Lidl leaving the few bits you can`t get there for a small Dunnes shop. Buy fruit/veg at the weekly market if your area has one, meat weekly at the butchers. Then try not to `convenience` shop.

Like the tip about the credit card!

mobile phone savings

Hi again,

Love this post! Meant to say for anyone out there who has an 087 mobile phone on a pay monthly option and also has frequent access to the internet, register yourself on www.vodafone.ie and you will receive 30 free web text messages each month.
Also, for free texts, from any mobile network to any mobile network, try www.11850.ie. Just ensure that whoever you're texting replies back to your own number, as the number that comes up when you send a message from this site is a central number.

Keep the tips coming please!

Anyone know any good wine deals, either on line or otherwise?

thanks

A change jar

Get yourself a money box. Get into the habit of putting your loose change into after the day, everything under 2 euros for example.

Make it a big money box
Not glass (too tempting to empty out)
Should be difficult to open.

I've been doing it for a year and when I last checked it had over 150 euro.

small change

I always put my loose change in a container.
However, it is as much because of the fact that a load of small change in my pocket annoys me, as out of wanting to save it :$

Re: Money Saving Tips/Advice.

Get a Dunnes Stores savings stamp card which comes with
2 free 2 Euro stamps included, then buy 46 2 Euro stamps to
fill the card 100 Euro total.
Save 4% off your next 100 Euro + grocery bill!

abc

hello

do not forget to use your dunnes stores valuecard to get your points when you are spending your 100 on your savings card

Money Saving Tips/Advice

Don't forget that Dunnes may not be the cheapest for your purchases so collecting points may not be so attractive.

Re: cheap calls

This is a small trick my younger sister has started using with me over the last while.

If you are rining a mobille, just let it ring once. The person who you are ringing will see that they have a missed call and ring you back! - never pay for mobile calls again!, make sure your phone number isnt blocked though!

old reliables

Stop Smoking, Drinking Alcohol and Gambling. Also, get rid of the second car.

S

"just let it ring once"

When ringing the spouse at work, do above and they will ring back.
S

Re: cheap calls

Get rid of the first car. I'm finishing with my car this week and it only costs me about a grand for tax and insurance, but add another two grand for petrol and maintenance and I'm going to save €2.5k a year and use me bike.
BTW - Anyone looking for a car with another years NCT on it ?

More

* Store bread in the fridge. No more throwing out moldy bread. :lol
* Check the fridge isn't set to a colder setting than needed.
* Never use coupons unless it was something you already planned to purchase.
* Turn out lights, switch off appliances rather than leaving them on standby.
* Don't buy new gadgets, there'll be a better one out in 3 months costing less. If you must then buy them on ebay.
* Cut back on newspapers and in particular magazines, the Internet is a better source of information.
* Minimise the number of transactions in your current account to limit the charges.
* Don't purchase drinks, biscuits, crisps etc when buying lunch sandwichs get them for half the price in a newsagent.
* Payment protection is a scam, live within your means instead and build up at least several months salary to self insure.
* Drive economically and shop around for petrol. Treat yourself to the odd bit of acceleration but never in 30 mph zones.

Bank charges

"Minimise the number of transactions in your current account to limit the charges"

- better still, open an account with Ulster Bank. They have no transaction charges if you stay in credit...!

Re: Bank charges

better still, open an account with Ulster Bank. They have no transaction charges if you stay in credit...!

[broken link removed] account also offers free banking. Don't think your account needs to be in credit, either.

Also, remortgaging is well worth looking at as a way of saving money, despite the prohibitive fees charged by solicitors in this country. The benefits are especially good if you've got a lot of equity in your home, as you could apply for a decent tracker for as little as 3% from Ulster Bank.

"prohibitive solicitors fees"

NoelC: Even if there is money to be saved on a remortgage, it makes no sense to incur the "prohibitive fees charged by solicitors in this country" to which you refer. (I presume, BTW, you mean the prohibitive fees charged by some solicitors- I know you can't possibly think the entire profession charges too much).

Far better to go to one of the many solicitors out there who are willing to do the job for a reasonable fee, and who are prepared to give a reasonably competitive quote. Of equal importance (greater importance in my view) is to hire somebody that you know and trust to get the job done, or somebody recommended by a friend family member or colleague whose judgment you trust.

All things being equal, the solicitor who handled your original purchase/mortgage is in the best position to handle a re-mortgage. He/she should therefore be in a position to give a very competitive fee quote.

Re: Bank charges

I know you can't possibly think the entire profession charges too much

I don't think the entire profession charge too much, but enough solicitors do that the [broken link removed] flagged up conveyancing fees as a real problem for the Irish consumer.

You're right though about trying your original solicitor to get a fee for re-mortgaging. Dermot Deane (01 231 4600) has also been recommended here by a number of contributors as offering very competitive fees.

Back