Key Post: LCD or Plasma

Re: jvc tv

M. Bond,
Thanks for the informative explanation.
I'll have a think about it.

Re: >>LCD or Plasma

as with any new technology, the technophile must have it now people will pay over the odds for it-its worth waiting until next Christmas for it, as the price will have come down.I can remember BTs advertising Plasma TVs for the sum of IR£10K-I believe that they are slighlty cheaper now..daithi

God be with the days when we got a bike, we were over the moon...:)

like everything I cant find it now but the new Harvey Norman brochure has a 26'' samsung lcd tv with hdmi socket and is advertised as hd ready. Cost €1099 including that €10 swizz. ( and it is a swizz, why do I have to pay for a disposal charge when I can take the old telly to the recycling centre and dispose of it for free? and yes I have heard the argument that its not the old telly you are paying the €10 for , it the new one. the brochure ( which i cant find) also has a 42'' lcd which is the biggest lcd I have seen to date.

Just an add from Dabs.com this morning for LCD TV, they've a 32" LG for about €1220 including shipping... They have the 26" Samsung for under €900 including shipping, not clear if it's HD ready though, says in one place it is. another it isn't.
Leo

Tescos advertised a 15" LCD TV at €330 in yesterday's papers.

Slim

Slim said:
Tescos advertised a 15" LCD TV at €330 in yesterday's papers.

Slim

At this size, it is not going to be HD ready. :p

Seriously, a 15" LCD is a bit small. I presume it is 4:3 and not widescreen, at this size. I would go for a 17" wide model myself, if you plan to watch movies on it...

I'm the proud owner of my first LCD today. I say first because I'm techy mad so I know I'll be upgrading in the not too distant future:D . Purchased a 23" Philips LCD in ESB shop in Tullamore which is closing down and always the one for a bargain, I was in like a shot! They were marking down the TV's with a whopping 30% off. Was 809.99, got it for 569.99. Don't care if it has HD or DH, it's in my kitchen now and it's looking good!!

LCD Resolution?

Argos was retailing a Mikomi 20" LCD (529/0578) for €300 last week.

Television Picture Quality

• 20in (50.8cm) TV with 48cm visible screen size.
  • Resolution 800 x 600 pixels.
  • Brightness 450cd/m2.
  • Contrast 500:1.
It's a great looking TV, nicam stereo, multiple inputs - 2 scarts, vga, co-ax & audio in/out capability, dc source etc. However I find the analogue tv picture quality poor, and digital signal only somewhat better. My laptop input is just blurred and totally unreadable. The current widescreen laptop setting is (1280*800).

Am I correct in thinking that I would need a TV with resolution equal to my laptop for similar quality displays on an LCD TV?

Hi, having spent the last 3 months researching LCD v Plasma I've just purchased a 42" Pioneer Plasma. Read all the mags, and reveiws on the web and upshot was that there are pros and cons for each. As technology seems to be moving quickly in this area my only concern was to buy something at the higher end of the range to ensure what I bought would remain a good spec for a few years. I've set up with PC etc through the TV... its mega. Best thing to do is buy some of the magazines; 'What LCD / Plamsma TV' is very good, rates all LCDs & Plasmsas' to date and discusses pros & cons of each. A friend has just bought a 42" Toshiba LCD and in terms of picture quality it is well below what I get but also was cheaper. Note if you are buying a 37" or above plan the installation - room layout, sitting distance from TV, where the wires will run etc. and buy the size that best suits the position in the room and room size. The pioneer website gives some good advice on this. I've seen some 42" TVs placed in a corner (where once stood a CRT TV) and it was awful to watch. Lastly Tvs seem to be expensive in ROI. I'm in the north and purchased ex england saving £500 against local superstore price delivery included. Check [broken link removed] for UK prices. Some UK companies will deliver to southern Ireland.

Do you know that I originally posted this question over two years ago and Santa still hasn't been good to me....... How much more of a hint do I need to give?;)

Note if you are buying a 37" or above plan the installation - room layout, sitting distance from TV, where the wires will run etc. and buy the size that best suits the position in the room and room size. The pioneer website gives some good advice on this. I've seen some 42" TVs placed in a corner (where once stood a CRT TV) and it was awful to watch.

What is your advice on this? I was hopeing to buy a 32 - 40 " after xmas for my new house, it is wired for a TV over the mantlepiece but wiring doesn;t include a DVD player connection, so looks like it will be going in the corner alcove beside the fireplace. Why is the 42" 'awful to watch'?

Plan your layout well. There are recommended sitting distances from different size screens. My friend put his in the corner, due to its size it couldn't sit as far into the corner as the CRT screen so he was watching a bigger screen that was closer to him!. Also the closer you are to any TV or the bigger the screen size the more your will notice the quality of (or lack of) the picture. By placing it above the mantlepiece I would imagine that lighting the fire wouldn't be recommended.

You could possibly use a vido sender on a second TV to watch DVDs ob your LCD but would still have top plug in the video sender receiver box into the LCD which is a bit smaller than a DVD player

Back