Key Post: I'm looking for a reliable new laptop

Re: Please let us know how you get on

Don't suppose you've ever come across an 'access point' for PSTN lines or are these a thing of the past?

No - but then again I don't really have much practical experience of wireless ethernet deployment. I'm sure such devices existed in the context of pre 802.11 standardisation (e.g. HomeRF etc.) but I don't know if 802.11 equivalents exist. On the other hand many 802.11 deployments are within an environment in which there is an "always on" high bandwidth internet connection (T1, leased line, cable, DSL, ISDN (well, almost always on! ;) ) etc.) rather than an ordinary dial-up connection. Again I'm sure if you search the web you will find something on this if it's possible.

The debate on PC v. Mac above is almost 5 years old ! Does anyone have any more recent thoughts on how AppleMac laptops compare with their PC equivalents ?

Without wishing to get into a big debate about which is better (Mac in case you were wondering ;)) I have a MacBook and will never go back to PC laptops.

The Mac is everything you've heard about Apple computers - reliable, intuitive, beautiful and yes, ridiculously overpriced. The old issues re Mac/PC combatibility are gone as the Intel Macs can run Windows.

With electronics like laptops its hard to buy with 100% certainty that a certain brand would not break down.

I bought an Asus laptop recently because it had a 2yr warranty rather than the usual 1yr. Plus Tosh usually do some sort of deal where they will refund your purchase price AND replace the laptop if it fails in 1st year or 2.

Without wishing to get into a big debate about which is better (Mac in case you were wondering ;)) I have a MacBook and will never go back to PC laptops.

The Mac is everything you've heard about Apple computers - reliable, intuitive, beautiful and yes, ridiculously overpriced. The old issues re Mac/PC combatibility are gone as the Intel Macs can run Windows.

I fully agree. Switched to Macs in 1998 and never looked back. Since then things compatibility with PC formats and availability of Windows applications has increased to a level, where you would be hard pressed to find SW that isn't available on a Mac.
Regarding reliability, I have never had a problem with my Mac laptops; as a matter of fact, a PowerBook I bought in 2000 ist still going strong, only the battery doesn't last as long. Also have an iBook from 2003 which has never broken down.
If you wanted extra peace of mind you can buy an extended warranty.

have an acer laptop.it's excellent.
made by toshiba.have'nt any issues.sometimes
you pay for the name.
Fredg.

Santa brought me a Dell Inspiron 1501. Big screen so I've cast away my IBM Thinkpad after .......... possibly six years. As far as I know he paid $460 in Boston!

The cost difference always made PCs make more sense to me. As they become obsolete so quickly, I would rather buy an average model every couple of years with an extended warranty, rather than a single high end Mac (which is of course much better in every way). After 3-4 years, neither is worth much anyway.

The Mac is everything you've heard about Apple computers - reliable, intuitive, beautiful and yes[...].
Not what I've heard.
I've heard (and experienced) Apple desktops to be quite difficult to cope with.

But maybe this is applied to more up-to-date models/laptop models?

Re: reliable

Given that 'Reliability is the main requirement.' you should look to Dell but Latitude rather than Inspiron as you can get a 3 year warranty rather than 1 year.

www.euro.dell.com/countri...ebooks.htm

Also, it might be worth holding off for a few weeks as I think Dell are to launch a new Laptop series shortly with a new Intel chip designed specifically for Laptops.

if you do decide to go for a dell Latitude are much better than inspiron some of them are not so sexy looking but they are much more robust

Back