Key Post: Home network?

• Thread starter oilean buyingtolet
  • Start date
Re: >>Home network?

Whenever I try to run "repair" when the network disconnects it gives me a warning that the "ARP cache could not be cleared"

I tried googling for this warning and stumbled accross that website which seemed to be giving tips on he same problem I had

I really am a novice when it comes to networking, I can use simple excel/word etc on a PC/laptop and can usually solve simple problems but networking is a complete puzzle to me

stuart

An arp cache is a transient thing (or it should be in any normal networking environment) which can be deleted at will without doing any harm.

It is possible to have a static arp entry, but this would be very very not-normal.

Go to a command prompt and type arp -a and you will see that all the entries are dynamic - this is normal.

It is amazing how weird the advice is in that 6differentways site - I wouldn't trust any of it. I don't think most of those guys have even the vaguest clue what they are talking about. It sounds like a group of guys discussing how to fix a lightbulb, and coming up with suggestions like - oh, you'll need to replace the wiring all around your house, I did and it worked for me or - try changing all the fuses in all the plugs all over your house and you'll be sorted. Slightly mad.

z

zag said:
It is amazing how weird the advice is in that 6differentways site - I wouldn't trust any of it. I don't think most of those guys have even the vaguest clue what they are talking about. It sounds like a group of guys discussing how to fix a lightbulb, and coming up with suggestions like - oh, you'll need to replace the wiring all around your house, I did and it worked for me or - try changing all the fuses in all the plugs all over your house and you'll be sorted. Slightly mad.

:D

I think that a key issue here is that don't assume that error messages are always meaningful! In many cases applications, operating systems, drivers etc. can generate error messages which are misleading.

As I mentioned earlier

Any possibility that you can borrow other wireless gear (e.g. another wireless laptop) from a friend/colleague to do some more process of elimination testing?

perhaps you could do this in order to try and isolate the problem to the router or the client? As ever diagnosing the causes of problems like this is a process of elimination and investigation.

On a more general note I really don't know how many non-technical users manage to get/keep their PCs and network setups running at all. (By the way, this is an implicit criticism of the technology and not the users! PCs and related gear are far from consumer devices even now. When was the last time you had to power cycle or reboot your TV, microwave, fridge, toaster...?). I do know that I and most of my work colleagues spend a good chunk of our own time doing technical support for family and friends but that can't account for everybody with a PC setup these days!

Thanks for the replies, I will get there eventually and maybe stay of those websites (and I am not talking about "those websites")

Cheers
Stuart

Stuart - the best advice above is to borrow or use some working wireless stuff.

For example, if your friend has a working home wireless network, bring your laptop there and try to join their network. If it works then you need to focus on your wirelsss device at home, if it doesn't work then try bringing their laptop to your house and see if they can join your network. Try to narrow the range of possibilities down by using someone elses equipment which is known to be working.

z

Back