Key Post: Holiday Alone

- people I'd meet, making a big thing of it - e.g. saying "you're here on your OWN" in a disbelieving tone!

- felt a big awkward in restaurants which were full of groups of holoday makers.

I think the first one above is the worst people assume you're some kind of freak or billy-no-mates and are in a way understandably weary of you, though they dont need to be. In restaurants eating by yourself is a bit uncomfortable too. Last year I went away for nearly a month so obviously mates couldnt all take as long but I sure as hell wasnt going to give up my soon to be traditional near month off in summer! :D Hence why I am wondering if other people are in the same boat or looking for travel companions, dont worry I dont bite (unless you want me to! haha)

Has anyone ever gone on a Travel Department holiday? A work colleague told me about them but I don't really want to admit to people in work that I have noone to go away with (I'm the last single girl in my group of friends) what I really want to know is would there be many solo travellers on these holidays, I'd hate to be the only person on my own. I'm not even sure if I'm brave enough to go away alone, but I hate the thought of having no holiday:(

Hi!

I don't think there's any big deal going away alone. Two of my best holidays ever were by myself. The first was backpacking around Greece by myself and I was perfectly safe (although some of the men were a bit persistent). I often met up with people doing something similar. The great thing was being able to do whatever I liked when I wanted - my friends were all into beaches and I'm more into doing stuff so I didn't want to holiday with them.

The second time I went with a group called Explore Worldwide - expensive but worth it. I was part of a small group; a couple and 4 solo travellers of mixed ages. It was absolutely brilliant and romance blossomed between 2 of the singles! It was just really friendly and laidback with opportunities to get a bit of quiet time alone if you wanted it.

G

Ah thanks for that, the funny thing is I actually travelled in Australia on my own for a month, but it just happened when my friend backed out so I hadn't planned it and had no time to worry about it, but In Australia there are so many people travelling alone that I wasn't bothered by it, plus everyone tends to take the same route so I kept bumping into the same people everywhere I went.
I guess I'm just a bit worried about not meeting anyone as I'm a bit shy. But I know what you mean about not wanting to lie on a beach all day to be honest I'd rather do stuff on holidays so even if my friends were all single I probably wouldn't want to go away with them anyway!!

Ah if you did a month in Australia I'm sure you'll have no problems! Just look on it as an opportunity to indulge your every whim and spoil yourself with no interference :)

I generally travel alone, and have only had one uncomfortable incident which was easily handled. I don't as a rule go on package type holidays so I am usually travelling entirely to suit my own whims. I think the best way to do it though, is to try and organise to meet some people en route, two weeks entirely in your own company can be a bit lonely, but a few days in the middle with someone to catch up with makes it worthwhile, especially if you are in a country where you speak little or none of the language. Maybe Colc1 you should try finding some people to intersect holidays with! I would love to manage a near month off a summer but I am usually lucky to get two weeks at one go!!

Has anyone ever gone on a Travel Department holiday? A work colleague told me about them but I don't really want to admit to people in work that I have noone to go away with (I'm the last single girl in my group of friends) what I really want to know is would there be many solo travellers on these holidays, I'd hate to be the only person on my own. I'm not even sure if I'm brave enough to go away alone, but I hate the thought of having no holiday:(

I've never gone with the Travel Department. I find their tours a bit restrictive. Also depending on your age they do tend to market themselves more towards the "empty nest" age group.

I've gone away alone several times. I'm just not interested into the usual package hols where you just toast yourself all day & then stay out half the night.

I either go to a city & do a lot of tours from there. Look up Viator & you'll get ideas as to what type of thing you can do. This gives you the advantage of doing things with a group & also you're not stuck with them all the time. I've also gone on group trips with www.insightvacations.com You can book these through CIE tours or it's much cheaper to book direct & then book your own flights.
Contrary to popular conception they're not all made up of old fogies! You get a very mixed bag of people & ages & the one thing that everyone has in common is an interest in travel & seeing interesting places.
Also you make friends from all over the world. I met up with one girl in Auckland that I'd met on a tour of Spain, Portugal & Morocco. She was great & took me sightseeing for my few days there.

As for dining alone. Get a good book ! You don't look near as much alone if you've your head stuck in a book. You look more like a business person. Also when I travel alone I find people always talk to you, especially other solo travellers.

There are advantages to doing & seeing exactly what you want to without having to fall in with the wishes of others.

lilylou if you travelled in Australia for a month, why on earth are you nervous now ?You've proved you can do it & enjoy it. Go for it there's nothing to lose !

I travel alone a far bit and I have found the best way is to join up a reputabe tour group like Exodus, GAP or Explore. You meet up a lot of interesting people; the one time I went on a tour with a friend, I found that we spent more time together and never really mingled with other people.

I think a group tour is ideal if you are going to a stange country on your own.

Hi,

my parents are just back from a holiday in Madeira with the Travel Department. They are 78, and most people on the trip were a similar age. There were 4 single women - one in her 30s, one in 40s, and 2 in 50s. So it seems very definitely geared towards the older crowd.

If you want a younger crowd, go with Exodus, Explore, Journey Latin America, Imaginative Traveller, Tucan Travel, Intrepid Travel etc. I have been on a few of those, since like many others, my friends like to lie on the beach and I like to see new cultures. They have the advantage that you can pick practically country in the world and have someone to go with, but they are not ideal, since you are herded around in a group and are stuck with the crowd whether you get on with them or not.
I'm shortly about to head off on my own for 4 months, and a bit nervous, but am hoping I wont get bored of my own company!! :)

Shiraz.

I would second the recommendation for Intrepid Travel. Like some posters who have posted previously I was a bit apprehensive going on holidays alone so last year I decided to look up Intrepid Travel, having heard it mentioned on "No Frontiers". The Intrepid website has a fantastic selection of tours worldwide and I eventually booked a tour in Thailand. Have to say it was one of the best holidays I've ever taken and I particularly liked the ethos of the Intrepid trips which tries to give a flavour of the local culture. We also got to stay in some amazing places (as part of the trip we camped on an island, which was a National park, in the Andaman sea and had the whole island to ourselves) which I don't think I would have found on my own. Luckily the group I travelled with was great and we all got along very well for the two weeks. Our guide, in particular, was excellent. Very knowledgable and organised and she took the stress out of travelling through some pretty remote areas.

Was was bit strange arriving in Bangkok on my own but having travelled with Intrepid once would have no hesitation in booking another trip with them (no affiliation with the company other than being a satisfied customer)

I have gone on a few tour types holidays on my own - mainly because they have been to places I want to see and no-one else wants to go - do some go on other holidays with friends. Was that I wanted to go on some long haul trips and took the plunge to go and havne't regreeted any of them. All so far have been with Slatterys travel but am going on a travel department one this September to Boston and new england

I went to Scotland by myself last summer on a hill walking holiday with Ramblers Countrywide Tours. Got to stay in a lovely hotel where the entire group were based. Loads of other single folk, of all ages from late 20s up to mid 60s. Everyone was really friendly - we would all eat together every evening so loneliness wasn't an option. Great fun, I would definitely do it again.

Here's a link:http://www.ramblerscountrywide.co.uk/Default.aspx

Went to Mykonos on my todd before. Made new friends. Noticed single women there. Its upmarket and friendly and very busy + hot from june 1st onwards when everywhere else is quiet.
Very safe. No here we go brigade to hassle you. Expensive and cosomopolitian. Gorgeous town

Back