Key Post: Granite worktops...

if you put say a hot pyrex dish straight onto the cold granite it can cause the pyrex dish to shatter...

Re: ..

Hi legend, has this ever happened to you? Sounds a bit worrying to me as a soon to be proud owner of a granite worktop. I'll have to warn Mrs. S!

what is under your granite?

Just recently looking at kitchens and one guy made a big deal about placing wood on top of the base units before the granite went on.

For those of you that have granite, and saw it going in, is it on top of a topless base or is it sitting on a solid hidden 'counter top'.

Nope, i don't have granyte. Twas either get granite or an American fridge and I picked the ice maker!!!! Its very easy to retro fit an upgrade of the work top in years to come.

However, the problem is that a very hot surface going onto a very cold one will cause the hot one to suddenly contract and that is what can make it shatter. You need to make sure to use a wooden choppping board in between as the conductivity of the wood would be lower than that of the granite!
How much cash are these worktops now?

In addition, i think they sit on top of the cupboard carcesses. Cupboard carcesses all have tops and the worktop, no matter what it is as I underasnt d it sits on them. if you raise it over this you will have a big ugly gap above the top of your doors to the bottom of the 'real' worktop

Re: ..

In addition, i think they sit on top of the cupboard carcesses. Cupboard carcesses all have tops and the worktop, no matter what it is as I underasnt d it sits on them. if you raise it over this you will have a big ugly gap above the top of your doors to the bottom of the 'real' worktop

I concur.

Why would you need a wooden top under the granite anyway?

How much cash are these worktops now?

We're paying about €3000 for about 6 metres of counter top, 30mm thickness.

There would be no gap - they put in a granite overhang to come down to meet the top of the cabinet doors. The rest of the granite is then much thinner than usual. Not sure why he was offering it as a selling point as it would seem to be a cost cutting measure. Just wondered if anyone came across it and I was missing something. He was talking about any water that drips off the counter not making its way back into the cabinet by using this technique.

In terms of price, this guy used e525 per metre for straight cut. Sink and drainage inlays are extra

Re: >>Granite worktops...

If you do go for a granite worktop do not get black. It looks lovely but my heart is broken trying to keep it clean. Everything leaves a stain. I was warned before I got it but thought stupidly that they were being over fussy. Never again. I love the surface but not the color. Butterly Stone Enterprises in Dundalk is where I purchased mine. Very happy with them.

Nicola said:
If you do go for a granite worktop do not get black. It looks lovely but my heart is broken trying to keep it clean. Everything leaves a stain. I was warned before I got it but thought stupidly that they were being over fussy. Never again. I love the surface but not the color. Butterly Stone Enterprises in Dundalk is where I purchased mine. Very happy with them.

Beg to differ. We don't have that problem with ours - sure yours is the real mccoy :) A wipe down with a dry cloth after washing it after meal times keeps ours looking great - 7 years on and I still love the look of it.

demoivre said:
Beg to differ. We don't have that problem with ours - sure yours is the real mccoy :) A wipe down with a dry cloth after washing it after meal times keeps ours looking great - 7 years on and I still love the look of it.

Same here - no problems whatsoever....... and that's the verdict of the boss so it must be true!

Roy

We have black granite also (from Leinster Stone) and love the surface and colour. However the same complaint as a couple of posts ago, it forever needs to be cleaned and it seems to just attract dust like a magnet. Still would get it again though.

Do you have to seal granite worktops in the same way you do natural stone floors? I'd imagine this would prevent marking.
Leo

Back