Key Post: DVD Recorder Best Buy Where and How much €

Re: >>DVD Recorder Best Buy Where and How much €

i didn't check the features but i noticed that dunnes have a dvd recorder for 199 at the moment. sorry i've no details - i don't even remember the make - but i'm pretty sure it was a well known brand.

Re: >>DVD Recorder Best Buy Where and How much €

Musgraves have a Pye DVD recorder with 8 hours per disc/4 recording speeds.

it's €149.99 + the VAT.

It'd probably do you a couple of years until the HD stuff has been on the market a while & prices start to come down.

Are there dvd recorders that record 5.1 sound yet

Are there dvd recorders that record 5.1 sound yet from the Sky+ box?
I've been waiting for these. Phillips were supposed to release 2 models before christmas but i've heard nothing since.

Re: Are there dvd recorders that record 5.1 sound yet

Unregistered said:
Are there dvd recorders that record 5.1 sound yet from the Sky+ box?
I've been waiting for these. Phillips were supposed to release 2 models before christmas but i've heard nothing since.

If you are referring to the [broken link removed] (PDF link - takes a few seconds), I haven't seen it on sale yet. It seems to be "coming soon".

Note that this is the US model, so a UK / Ireland version may take longer to arrive.

Re: DVD Recorder Best Buy Where and How much €

ClubMan said:
I have seem DIVX compatible DVD players recently but can't for the life of me remember where! :\

both tesco's and dixons do a philips pvr630 DivX player for €99.99. I bought one off pixmania.com for €75 (€83 including delivery).

Targa DVD recorder from Aldi

Dearg Doom said:
Targa DVD recorder available form Aldi for €450 - see [broken link removed].

Did anyone buy one of these? Or know of anyone who did?

If so, any comments?

DIVX DVD Recorder

The Ellion DVR-530S seems to get good reviews - sells for about £180 in the UK or on the Net on the likes of Amazon.

Not sure if it records onto dual layer discs though.

Re: Key Post: DVD Recorder Best Buy Where and How much €

error on the url

I've always been a bit sceptical about Kiss. Too much concentration on features and not enough on the basic picture quality, too much reliance on frequent firmware upgrades, too much like a PC rather than a consumer audio device.

The Kiss DP-600 Upscaling DVD Player (which has HDMI output and network streaming) only gets 3 out of 5 stars in the current issue of What Hi Fi.

Verdict: "A good attempt at a multifunction media machine, but too many niggles for it to be really convincing".

I think you are better off sticking with a premium brand who has been making consumer hi fi devices for a long time.
The Philips DVD recorders, for example, now start at €130 around town, with HDD + DVD recorders for c. €300. To me, this is a much better proposition.

Just me 10 c worth. :)

I have a Kiss DP-588 with a 200GB HDD. Doesn't have HDMI. But does

1. Play DVD's
2. Plays DIVX, & Xvid
3. Has EPG guide, with all IRL/UK channels
4. Time Shift
5. Records to HDD (i have taken some recordings over to computer via FTP and burned DVD's ...)

I have it connect to LAN, so I can

1. Stream audio / video / pictures
2. remotely program recordings...very cool not to have to talk the wife thru this....

It's firmware upgradeable...which means I can upgrade if there is an issue...and there are third parties also developing firmware for the Kiss, have a look at [broken link removed]

It also meets your budget requirement, Pixmania @ EUR467.

It's not perfect ... but it's the best I could find 6 months ago ... and I haven't regretted it.

Eoin

got a Sony DVD recorder RDR-HX710 recently.

160 GB hard drive.

primarily using it to reduce my VHS mountain. Everything recorded to HDD first and then burned to DVD-R. No problems so far.

Not multiregion but my other two DVD players are so I'm not bothered.

Hi All,
I have been looking at DVD recorders for a while but getting all the features you want seems to be hard

80GB hard disk
high speed dubbing from HD to DVD
I- link
analogue input as I want to be able to transfer from my HI-8 camcorder and put it onto DVD
multi region as most of my DVDs are region 1
Time Slip
an SD card slot

The panasonic has a "time based corrector" which I understand enhances VHS transfers..how much this means I have no idea as I havent been able to see how much a difference it would make. I havent been able to try out anywhere. I dont know if the Sony machines have this. The other thing panasonic seems to have is record to fit where by if I understand it right, a film of lets say 2 hours 10 minutes can be made it fit onto dvd at best quality rather than a 3 hour dvd leaving 50 minutes blank. Again I have no idea how much of a difference this makes.

I have no idea wherther RGB or progressive scan on scart is important unless you have a very good TV ( big flat panel perhaps )

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Blarney

Is "I.Link" a Sony feature?
How come some other Recorder brands advertise this as a feature rather than the generic Firewire?

Hi All,
I have been looking at DVD recorders for a while but getting all the fearures you want seems to be hard

80GB hard disk
high speed dubbing from HD to DVD
I- link
analogue input as I want to be able to transfer from my HI-8 camcorder and put it onto DVD
multi region as most of my DVDs are region 1
Time Slip
an SD card slot

The panasonic has a "time based corrector" which I understand enhances VHS transfers..how much this means I have no idea as I havent been able to see how much a difference it would make. I havent been able to try out anywhere. I dont know if the Sony machines have this. The other thing panasonic seems to have is record to fit where by if I understand it right, a film of lets say 2 hours 10 minutes can be made it fit onto dvd at best quality rather than a 3 hour dvd leaving 50 minutes blank. Again I have no idea how much of a difference this makes.

I have no idea wherther RGB or progressive scan on scart is important unless you have a very good TV ( big flat panel perhaps )

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Blarney

I am only coming to grips with my machine.

As far as I know
- High speed dubbing is not possible if the items have a mix of 4:3 and widescreen images.
- When burning from TV or VHS to HDD it is necessary to select a mode HQ, SP, LP etc. When subsequently dubbing from HDD to DVD the mode chosen must match the source mode for a high speed dub to be permitted otherwise real time dubbing takes place.
- DVD+ dual layer will not accept widescreen images . i.e. films will record in fullscreen (4:3). DVD-dual layer will but I have never seen any.
- DVD-R discs can store two hours at SP. I have not burned anything longer but I understand that a 140 min film will be burned entirely at the next level down - which is LP (permits 180 mins).

Around 50% of my DVDs are region 1 but have a multi-region player hooked up to the TV on EXT1 so I can continue to watch these. The DVD recorder is on EXT2.

It is possible to watch DVDs on the DVD player while simultaneously using the DVD recorder - providing the correct source input is selected on the recorder i.e for me Line 3. As the DVD player uses source Line 1 it is important that this is not selected when recording from VHS or TV - otherwise the DVD player images will be recorded onto the HDD.

Back