Key Post Dublin City Council area household refuse collection options - discussion

- No - as long as you get on well with your neighbour. I'd imagine in time that the providers will add to terms and conditions saying if caught sharing bin with another householder they can cancel your service but dont let that stop you now.

Private companies are only interested in one thing - profit.

Presumably this situation would not have any affect because its a private company and not a county council? Would also need to share the green bin.

A few weeks ago i changed my bin to a 140l with Thorntons, and because of the smaller bin, the levy went down to 25 euro a year. The GF rang this week to do her bin and the girl at thorntons said it was 50 euro a year levy, and she'd never heard of the 25 euro a year levy!
Maybe they're no longer doing a €25 annual charge for the smaller bin? As far as I can see it's €50 and the lift charge for the smaller bin is lower. See my table in the key post. If there are any mistakes please let me know by posting here. Thanks.

"I could be totally wrong but I get the impression that this is a tough business to be in these days. People are economising so much that quite a lot do not put their bins out very often. If not enough people do so then the companies will find it hard to stay in business".

So.....they'll put up their prices! And even more people won't be able to pay. And before we know it, DCC will have to provide refuse collections again, free of charge, and paid for by local taxes which may or may not be known as "domestic rates". :rolleyes:

I might have mentioned this before but DCC did and some operators (e.g. Greyhound) still do offer pay as you go bin bag labels which don't require the payment of any fixed annual subscription charge. I don't know if use of these is restricted to specific areas (e.g. near city centre?) or if they can be used anywhere. If there is no geographic restriction on their use then this may be a good option for those who generate little waste. The DCC labels were €3 each and I think that Greyhound charge the same for now.

I live in Sandymount and have just signed up to Oxigen

I don't generate much waste, so the option of €14 per lift with no service charge really suits me. They don't charge by weight either, so I will be really compacting.

I paid €42 up front over the phone for three lifts. If I don't like their service or if there is a better offer, I can switch. The Greyhound charge of €100 up front meant that I couldn't really move again for a year.

Thanks to Clubman and Gipimann for your guidance on this.

Brendan

How about minimising landfill waste and segregating the recyclables yourself? Then make a monthly / bi-monthly trip to the recycling centre with the recyclables. If all organic waste is composted, only one or two landfill sacks per year would be generated.

I compost all garden waste.

I cycle to the recycling centre with my recyclables. (Driving to the recycling centre is often self defeating)

But most of all, I have campaigned to minimise landfill waste by publicly supporting the incinerator in Ringsend.

Brendan

There's been no mention of this in the extensive media coverage. It's as if thoughtless land filling of all waste is a fundamental human right.

Good point. I rang the City Council and Greyhound, and I think, a journalist at the time to find out which of the various companies would support the incinerator. But I got no useful information.

Brendan

I might have mentioned this before but DCC did and some operators (e.g. Greyhound) still do offer pay as you go bin bag labels which don't require the payment of any fixed annual subscription charge. I don't know if use of these is restricted to specific areas (e.g. near city centre?) or if they can be used anywhere. If there is no geographic restriction on their use then this may be a good option for those who generate little waste. The DCC labels were €3 each and I think that Greyhound charge the same for now.

Does anyone know where to get the pay as you go bin labels?

I've moved into an area in Dublin 7 which operates this system. I've tried greyhound's site and it doesn't seem to be there. I tried ringing them but gave up holding after a few minutes. I left my details on their site a few days ago looking for them to ring me back but no phone call.

Thanks for your infomation re the bin collections generally, very helpful.

Does anyone know where to get the pay as you go bin labels?

I've moved into an area in Dublin 7 which operates this system. I've tried greyhound's site and it doesn't seem to be there. I tried ringing them but gave up holding after a few minutes. I left my details on their site a few days ago looking for them to ring me back but no phone call.

Thanks for your infomation re the bin collections generally, very helpful.

Right, it turns out that you can just get them in your local shop (well, a lot of local shops anyway). Why they don't have that on their website I don't know. Took about 15 minutes to get talking to anyone.

Apparently the recycling bags (for the area) are in the post and in the meantime it's a matter of using clear plastic bags.

I presume that the same outlets as sold DCC bin bag labels also sell the Greyhound ones but I haven't bought any yet. The DCC ones were available in many convenience stores in the area and post offices.

If you are stuck for recycling bags let me know - I must have about 10 packs of them that I never used and I'll soon have to recycle the recycling bags! :D

A friend was in the same position. They contacted DCC who said that there was a small amount outstanding on the account which they paid and DCC said that the DCC/Greyhound bins would be collected in the next week or two. However a separate email query to DCC elicited a response saying that they would not be able to do this and that the customer should contact Greyhound (in spite of never being a customer of theirs). I guess they'll have to wait and see what happens... Curiously they live just inside the SDCC area but DCC did the refuse collection in the area up to the end of 2011!

I do still feel as I said here already:

"I could be totally wrong but I get the impression that this is a tough business to be in these days. People are economising so much that quite a lot do not put their bins out very often. If not enough people do so then the companies will find it hard to stay in business".

Its as I thought about this business being cut throat. Letter received this morning from Access confirming that 'following a review of their operation structure' they will no longer be operating a household wheelie bin collection service. All their customers will be transferred over to Thorntons on 1st May and they appear to have similar or ever so slightly cheaper charges .

Access do appear to be continuing on with their skip hire and property clearance.

I'd love to see an update of the table CLUBMAN did here
in the other thread with a very similar name
18-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Key Post Dublin City Council area household refuse collection options
If anyone knows where there is one, I'd love to see it.
Ta

Back