Key Post: Digital cameras

Good site for buying an SD card?

Hi all,

Recently got a Canon a400, but need to buy either a 128 or 256mb SD card - anyone know where the best deals are for one at the moment?

Thanks.

re SD

Nice one car, nice one. Prices look v good even after just a v quick look.
Thanks!

Re: ..

Argos are selling (on special offer) a Fuji FinePix F610 for €265 (50% reduction on previous). Looks like a good deal (based on spec-6m pixels, 3x optical zoom). Haven't been able to find it cheaper online. Any views?

Just bought it really easy to use I am very happy with it, checked alot of reviews before I bought it and all were good, only 16 mb but can buy 256 for 50euro with amazon uk in dixons it sells for 80 euro,

Try www.ebay.com
Make sure sellers will post world wide.

I have had 3 Canon cameras- Powershot S10 ,S30, and Ixus / Elph- All seem to have a similar fault- Slow shutter speed- Canon batteries are useless and expensive- & do not hold their charge for that long.

MY suggestion- The brilliant Pentax Optio S30-sells for about Euro 200. Terrific sharp clear shots and colour is so natural.

eBay Camcorders - is this a scam?

Looking to buy a camcorder for occassional use but know little or nothing about them. Was checking out eBay earlier and there seems to be loads available for what seem like ridiculously low prices. Could someone with some knowledge let me know if the spec below is substandard and if so what are the pricipal things to be looking for when buying.

Thanks
Roy

Incidentally eBay says the spec below has a MRP of £400 STG and is for sale at a small fraction of that!!!

PRODUCT FEATURES

12.0 MP (INTERPOLATED)
8X DIGITAL ZOOM
2.0 INCH COLOR LCD SCREEN
270 DEGREES ROTATEABLE SCREEN
WEBCAM FUNCTION
MP3 PLAYER
EARPHONES (INCLUDED)
Li-Ion RECHARGEABLE BATTERY
MOVIE FUNCTION WITH PLAYBACK
BUILD IN 16MB FLASH MEMORY
SD CARD COMPATIBLE
EXPANDABLE MEMORY up to 2GB (SD CARD)
BUILT-IN MICROPHONE
VOICE MEMO / RECORDING
SUPPORTS VIDEO/TV OUT
8 LANGUAGES SUPPORT
IMAGE/VOICE/RECORDING(MPEG4)
OUT/IN PUT (CABLES INCLUDED)
USB PORT(USB CABLES INCLUDED)
MASS STORAGE
1 YEAR FULL WARRANT

Re: >>Digital cameras

I have a Canon IXUS 500 purchased a year ago. The auto focus won't work properly now as some dust got into the mechanism, so photos are fuzzy. I've been quoted 250 euros by a camera shop in Tallaght to repair this. Any ideas where else I could try for a cheaper repair? The camera cost me about 350 euros. Worth repairing or just buy a new one??

Re: eBay Camcorders - is this a scam?

onekeano said:
PRODUCT FEATURES

12.0 MP (INTERPOLATED)
8X DIGITAL ZOOM
2.0 INCH COLOR LCD SCREEN
270 DEGREES ROTATEABLE SCREEN
WEBCAM FUNCTION
MP3 PLAYER
EARPHONES (INCLUDED)
Li-Ion RECHARGEABLE BATTERY
MOVIE FUNCTION WITH PLAYBACK
BUILD IN 16MB FLASH MEMORY
SD CARD COMPATIBLE
EXPANDABLE MEMORY up to 2GB (SD CARD)
BUILT-IN MICROPHONE
VOICE MEMO / RECORDING
SUPPORTS VIDEO/TV OUT
8 LANGUAGES SUPPORT
IMAGE/VOICE/RECORDING(MPEG4)
OUT/IN PUT (CABLES INCLUDED)
USB PORT(USB CABLES INCLUDED)
MASS STORAGE
1 YEAR FULL WARRANT
No mention of optical zoom? This is much more important than digital zoom, as you lose quality when you use the digital zoom. Obviously, you'll need a much larger card than 16 MB. Now that I think of it, 16 MB seems amazingly small - Are you certain that this is a real camcorder, and not just a digital still camera with a capability of recording short movie clips?

BBB said:
I have a Canon IXUS 500 purchased a year ago. The auto focus won't work properly now as some dust got into the mechanism, so photos are fuzzy. I've been quoted 250 euros by a camera shop in Tallaght to repair this. Any ideas where else I could try for a cheaper repair? The camera cost me about 350 euros. Worth repairing or just buy a new one??

I doubt if it's worth repairing. These things are effectively becoming 'disposable' items now (which is probably why the WEEE charge is needed). What's the price of an equivalent new model today?

Re: eBay Camcorders - is this a scam?

RainyDay said:
No mention of optical zoom? This is much more important than digital zoom, as you lose quality when you use the digital zoom. Obviously, you'll need a much larger card than 16 MB. Now that I think of it, 16 MB seems amazingly small - Are you certain that this is a real camcorder, and not just a digital still camera with a capability of recording short movie clips?

Good points Rainy - thanks for pointing them out. That rules out that particular items, thanks for the advice.

Roy

Back