Key Post: Buying or Moving Garden Sheds

S

sueellen

I’m planning on getting a wooden garden shed. I’ve looked at the ones from Kelly Garden Sheds and they appear ok. Has anyone purchased from this company before? Did you find them reliable and were there any problems?

Does anyone have any recommendations? I’m living in Dublin 15.

Thanks

shed

Make sure you get information on the preservatives , any shed will sooner or later collapse an than you will have to pay to get rid of it - hazardous waste is what treated timber is called nowadays.
If the treated timber is o.k. to get into contact with food than you are on the safer side.Any thing that is not suitable for (prolonged)skin contact is hazardous.Any reputable dealer will have the material safety data sheets available,it's a legal obligation.

Re: Garden Shed

Other posts

richus maximus
Unregistered User
garden sheds

Anyone got a good deal on a shed recently? North Dublin preferably

sueellen
Re: garden sheds

Used these people myself and would recommend them highly www.abwood.ie

These people have also been recommended by others Kelly's Garden Sheds

Unfortunately neither appear to be North Dublin.

Sparky
Unregistered User
Yesterday's business post article ref

www.supersheds.com

> Garden Shed

I cant recommend as I have just been doing a little shoppiog around but haven't purchased.

I cam across the following who seem cheaper than the others recommended

A crowd in Donnybrook (sheds on display over DC Exhausts in D'Brook) from 335 Euros tel 1800 612187

Navanwoman

Navanwoman,

Kelly's Garden Sheds info

Kelly's are based in Glenealy, Co. Wicklow. Agents in Dublin deliver our products all over the country.

Display and Sales open 7 days.

Telephone : (01) 2693234 or FREEPHONE 1800 612 187

Ever Ready Centre
Over DC Exhausts
Donnybrook, Dublin 4. Also (01) 6265898.
Opening hours : 10.00 - 5.00 Mon - Sat. 2.00 - 5.00 Sunday

Head Office & Factory Glenealy, Co. Wicklow.
Telephone : (0404) 44653 & 44654
Fax : (0404) 44838
Opening Hours : Monday - Friday 9.00 - 5.00

Garden Sheds

I recently purchased a garden shed from Abwood in Wicklow. It was EUR340.00 for 6*6 and they delivered 2 days after I phoned and put it together for me in about 25 mins.

Re: >>Garden Sheds

Unregistered wrote elsewhere

The self assembly Yardmaster galvanised metal sheds sold by the likes of Argos are good value in my view and low/no maintenance to boot.

www.yardmaster.co.uk

Hi,
I'm a dumbass. What's the difference between an 8x6 and a 6x8? Is it just the location of the door (door on 6' face as opposed to 8' face) and number of windows?

In the same breath, can anyone recommend a shed supplier around south/west Dublin? Just so we can plan a mission for this weekend. Alternatively, if anyone knows somewhere down in Kerry that would deliver to Dublin, we'd consider them too as we'll be down that way in the coming weeks.

Father Dougal,

Abwood used to do the garden sheds in the same complex as Johnstown Conservatories and if my memory serves me well they are still there which should be near to you?

Sorry I can't help you out on the 6x8 or 8x6 :rolleyes

Thanks sueellen. Forgot about Johnstown. We'll take a trip down their at the weekend. Thanks for the tip.

Atlantic

Can't remember the name but theres a helpful chap outside Atalantic homecare in Stillorgan.Hes got a good selection on display. I picked one 8 X 6 for 335 and they delivered and installed it in a few days.

Re: Atlantic

Thanks Tom. I'll add that to the list. [broken link removed] is what we saw last weekend and is the current favourite. It's 6.5 x 6.5 for €312 (B&Q).

B&Q

Hi Dougal,

Does that price include installation? Also, which B&Q store did u see that in, (I can't seem to find it on their site).

Thanks

Re: B&Q

Here's the [broken link removed] complete with info. TBH I didn't think about delivery/installation. I would assume it would at least include delivery. It does say "Supplied with all necessary parts for assembly" which would suggest a DIY install.

Some other posts

Donna
Unregistered User
Where to buy garden shed?

Need a small wooden garden shed for small suburban garden. Can anyone recommend some place in the North east- say 30 mile radius of Navan to purchase same?

Would prefer not to do any assembling as I`m not a DIYer so some place that could deliver and assemble same would be appreciated.

Would like an indication of price too, if possible.

Donna

claddagh71
Re: Where to buy garden shed?

Donna,

I will be biased here and recommend 'Watters garden sheds' just outside of Ardee, Co. Louth.....am from that neck of the woods originally!

[broken link removed]

They deliver within a large radius - I live in Dublin now and they have delivered to a large number of houses in my area alone! In fact, if you are familiar with the Texaco station on the N4 beside the Foxhunter just before Lucan, they display a selection of their sheds there behind the forecourt. Otherwise, they have a massive display in Ardee - head out the N52 towards Dundalk, take the first turn right towards Stabannan and they're about 2 miles out...very well signposted.

I got mine a couple of years ago - I think it was around the E250 mark and they installed it for me. All I had to do was throw down a couple of paving slabs to make a level base in the garden.

Would highly recommend them!

C71

Coyote
Second that!

Hi, I also got a shed from Watters - a little more expensive than other places I rang but the shed is a really top quality one, the guys were very reliable, quick and efficient. They delivered to me in Dublin no problem.

Donna
Unregistered User
Thanks very much,folks!

Am off to Watters then!

Donna

Some other posts

db2admin
Moving a shed

Hi, I need to move my garden shed from one side of the garden to the other. Has anyone else done this and if so is it easy to do or is it best to get the professionals in. I don't think that it would be too heavy, given enough bodies to lift it, but I would be worried that it would stress the door and roof.
Thanks

legend99
Very frequent poster

Could you brace the inside first...i.e. maybe run 2 supports from one wall to the other to holds the shape?

Hamlet
Unregistered User
Sheds

I successfully moved our 12 x 8 wooden shed singlehandedly at the start of the summer.

The shed was up on blocks to begin with. After emptying the shed I jacked it up a bit more and rolled it across the garden using three empty bear barrels (borrowed from a building site) and a long plank of 4x2 wood.

Under the shed there are two supports running the length of the shed, these rolled nicely over the barrels, once one barrel pops out of the end move it to the front, and so on. Turning the shed was a bit of a bugger, this is where the 4x2 came in. I had laid a concrete slab where I wanted the shed to finish. I 'reversed' the shed into position and rolled it off.

I could not believe how easy it came together, in fact I was longer putting everything back in to the shed than moving it.

Hamlet

Unregistered User
Sheds

Did something similar by gradually shifting the (wooden) shed using some planks as runners - however it did take a few people most of the day to gradually move it from one corner of the garden to another. The point about bracing the shed to prevent any damage through shearing is a good one above!

brendan
Unregistered User
Sheds

Never thought of that!

I took mine apart. It is not very difficult. The shed is only together with about 16-20 nails in general. Take off any peripheral wood bits first and then take off the felt from roof (must be replaced). Hammer out the nails of the front part and it should pop out. Then take roof off - I managed to hold weight of roof as I lowered it down, then take apart. Then the back and then you need to get help to hold one of the 2 remaining sides.
Reverse to rebuild. It took me about 3 hours and the shed is perfect.
The felt cost about 12euro and felt pins about 3euro.
Otherwise if in Dublin go up to Atlantic in Sandyford and ask the guy who works for Ballymore sheds and he will tell you how to do it.

Spacer
Unregistered User

The pops-in-law did something similar to the earlier post.

Not sure what bear barrels are but what he used was three poles (about 4 inches in diameter) and two long planks.

He placed the poles about two/three feet apart and laid the first plank across the top of them. He jacked up the shed, removed the supports and gently lowered the shed onto the plank. He was then able to push the shed/plank over the rolling poles. When the first pole was exposed at his feet, he had someone else move it to the front of the queue and the process continued.

The second plank was needed for when the shed would have moved so far along the first that it was in danger of coming off the end.

With this method, it's surprisingly easy to steer the shed into its eventual position. With help, he moved his (admittedly small) shed in about 40 minutes. For bigger sheds, you'd probably need more poles, muscle etc.

Some other posts

ABYR
Garden Shed

Anyone recommend a place to buy a decent Garden Shed. One of those wooden ones with the windows at the sides.
At a cheap enough price!>

cullenswood
Frequent poster

Abwood is where I recently bought mine. Seem top quality and delivered it within 24 hours!

Once Bitten
Garden Shed

Forget timber !

Too low (stand in to one and see how much area you have to actually stand up - just down the centre aisle)

Too small

Too hard to maintain pristine.

Go for one of the PVC/Steel varieties. Just did it (15 x9) and wouldn't go back.

ClubMan
Administrator

Would definitely recommend the likes of Yardmaster (available in Argos) over wooden alternatives.

Maceface
Frequent poster
Go Wood
en

I think the wooden sheds look a lot nicer. To be the metal ones makes your garden look like a garage.

I would recommend Kelly Sheds, and they have resellers everywhere (I got mine in Johnstown Garden Center). They all should charge the standard Kelly prices, so should be no problem. Mine is about 7x5 and the delux version. Cost about 500.

Another place I heard is good (and cheap) is the place called ABS(something like that). Its on the Naas road near the red cow roundabout (Naas side heading into town).

ClubMan
Administrator
Re: Go Wooden

I think the wooden sheds look a lot nicer.

See how nice they look in 10 years or each time you're faced with painting them with preservative!

legend99
Very frequent poster

What have people done in the past for flooring with the Yardmaster sheds???

jenolan
Where to get cheap shed

The cheapsest place you'll get is B&Q, they are literally half the price of everywhere else. Now I kno wyou get what you pay for but if you're starting off and just need somewhere to stick the lawnmower etc they're fine.

Abwood sheds are a much better quality but you do pay for it

sueellen

"What have people done in the past for flooring with the Yardmaster sheds??? "

We just have ours on paving slabs but like all sheds it is damp.

askew70

We have a wooden shed which we bought from The Shed Man on Kilakee Road in Dublin (contact details are here: [broken link removed]). They did a good job of installing it too. Five years later, it is still in excellent condition with no sign of dampness (we went for one with an internal lining - it cost a little more, from what I can remember, but it was well worth it). Our shed is laid on concrete blocks, so it is a few inches away from the wet soil/ground underneath. The Shed Man have quite a few sheds on display, so you can actually walk into them to see if the size suits you. In the range that we chose from, they offered an extra height one too, for those that need it (we didn't, we are both shortarses!).

We painted the shed (used a wood primer first, followed by good quality oil-based finish), rather than varnish it - the paint is now starting to peel a little, in places, but it won't need repainting for another year at least.

One thing to bear in mind, when choosing between a wooden shed and alternatives, is whether you can fit shelves within it. The wooden supports in our shed are robust enough to allow metal shelf brackets to be easily attached. I have seen some wooden sheds, though, that don't look robust enough to take shelves. I haven't been inside a metal shed, so I don't know whether they can easily take shelves.

geegee
Local user

The problem with metal sheds is condensation. If your looking for soggy boxes and a free shower every time you go in then go for one - been there etc etc...

GG

Garden Shed

Looking to get a decent garden shed, 8*10, 10*10, or 12*10.

Last one I purchased was a DIY metal 8'*10' Yardmaster, but it leaks when it rains and it always very damp.

Anyone got any recommendation for a quality shed thats dry and its relevant price?

Back