Key Post: Buying or Moving Garden Sheds

damp shed

Hi Lemurz!
I'm afraid that it will be a problem to find a "dry"garden shed.The problem is the climate.During daytime when the shed is in use (opening the door) the water content of the air is higher than during night time when it is cold.
So damp air will enter the shed and set there at cold surfaces during night time.Since there is no regular aerating the moisture will accumulate.This could be overcome only by heating and ventilation .The best way to get rid of unwanted moisture is to exchange the air during the night when it is cold/containing less water than during daytime.A cheaper -than- heating method would be to build in an automatic fan that exchanges the air during night.You can get them for around €20.- in the DIY shop.Plus a timer for €10.- and cable and labour.

Edited by sueellen to make minor correction

Some other posts

alandd
Steel garage/Garden Sheds

Hi,
Can anyone recommend anyone who sells steel garden sheds or garages?.
Any help would be great

Thanks
Alan

Lemurz
Frequent poster
Re: Steel garage/Garden Sheds

I purchased a Yardmaster (8'x10') two years ago. It took 2 days to assemble. The quality isn't great, it leaks when it rains and the dampness is terrible! On the plus side it doesn't rust or need to be painted.

Got mine from Family Album as it was cheaper than Argos. (Tip! - FA give 20% off your first order if your a new customer)

alandd

Thanks,
But i'm thinking about larger sheds, i.e garage or workshop

Any info would be great

Thanks again
AD

EAMONN66
Frequent poster

www.shanettesheds.com/
prices are dear for smaller garages but get rapidlycheaper as the size increases

patspost

There is a crowd called Shanette, maybe misspelling they are on the Tullamore Rd just outside Kilbeggan. Don't know if they are anygood, but htey are there a good while. They have some fairly decent size sheds.

Pat

ClubMan
Administrator

I got the smallest one from Argos and it went up in a day and does the job fine for me. For what it's worth I laid a base of paving slabs laid on a piece of plastic waterproof goundsheeting on a piece of cleared earth and sealed the edge of the base with silicone. If you have problems with leaks from the screws/rivets then try sealing them with a blob of silicone.

alandd

Thanks Guys

Best shed for power tools - metal or wooden?

I need to get a garden shed as we are about to start an extension so I have to move all my tools and gear out to it.
I'm wondering whether a metal or wooden shed would be better for storing power tools in. I've heard of condensation problems with metal sheds but can these be solved by cutting a hole for an air vent?
I can get a 8x6ft rustic shed from Kelly's barna sheds for €385, or pretty much the same thing from Ballyfree Garden Sheds for €365. I've also come across a metal 8x6ft shed for €470 from this crowd.
Any advice on which way to go? I don't mind putting preservative on the wooden shed every year, and will be growing plants on the side of either one to help it blend in a bit - do the metal ones tend to stick out more?

I wouldn't be inclined to store much valuable equipment in wooden one - at least in my experience there is little or no security in them (they're not made strong enough for security purposes). Given my increasing stock of tools and what not, I've recently bought a metal shed from - far more secure.

Hi DeargDoom,

Security is a good point, but, as both buildings are only as strong as their weakest point, the door, is there actually that much difference in security (I've no experience with metal sheds)?

Do you have any condensation problem with your metal shed?

That C&C crowd are roughly twice the price of the adamsolutions shed of a similar size - whats the reason for that?

My new shed door is far more secure - it's got a steel locking mechanism with a lock and key simmilar to a front door lock, whereas my old one had a quite flimsy bolt that was nailed to the door and a receiver nailed to the frame. While I put a lock on it, it wouldn't have taken much effort to remove the bolt/receiver from the door/frame if someone really wanted access.

Haven't had any condensation problems so far. The Adams sheds seem to be flat packed for self assembly - mine was delivered and erected by the supplier - that's at least part of the difference. Do the Adams sheds come with a floor (some steel shed suppliers expect you to put in a concrete slab - C&S provide a wooden floor for thier smaller sheds)?

We have a wooden shed and Yardmaster one and both suffer from either dampness or condensation, I'm not sure which it is. I would not store expensive tools in either. The one that Dearg has seems to be a lot stronger.

Back