Key Post: Building timberframe

hi guys,

just a quick note on the timberframe,i`m in the middle of our selfbuild.we went for A-FRAME. found them very easy to deal with and everythin is goin ok(apart from weather).the quotes vary with every company.i ended up getting about ten quotes from diff companies all offering different specs.basically it depends on what you want to do yourself and of course your budget

Hi, I am hoping to buy a site & build a timberframe house aprox. 2200sq ft.....does anybody recommend a contractor who can complete the job without mad prices? Or any idea of build cost now in 2010?? site cost €70,000.....

Sadie we are having difficulty on one of our own projects either

(i) finding a timber frame supplier who will work the whole project in a remote area OR

(ii) finding a builder who likes working with timber frames.

We went to two timber frame firms, one of which is a market leader, but both or whom are a good distance from our client's site.

The builder remains interested in quoting for solid blockwork.

Carbon Neutral Homes by 2013?

Not on this evidence...

:)

ONQ.

Onq, I would like one contractor to do the lot(consolidating the timber & the blockwork), but it seems hard to find, & probably very costly......I suppose I start approaching as many as I can & get the quotes in based on like for like & take it from there....! Thanks

01Sadie,

That's the way to run it.
The frame supplier can sub to the main.
If you find one post the details here will you?
Many builders are traditionally trained to erect masonry.
It makes it harder to find someone who is able to work with timber.
Worse, some traditional builders may not understood venting for standard works.
You could try one of the timber frame companies and seek a recommendation from them.
At this point the industry is mature and you would expect a few such working relationships to have developed.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent persons should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.
My best advice is that you should retain a competent building professional to advise you on these matters.

Back