Key Post: Bread Makers

S

sueellen

Looking to get a bread maker. are they worth it? whats the best buy

Bread makers

I love mine (Panasonic)! Good not only for bread but dough for pizzas etc. The Panasonic is not the cheapest but consistently comes out top in consumer tests.

Breadmaker

I just ordered the Panasonic SD253 after a few weeks of looking around.

You can make three different size loaves which is not a feature of others. Also there is a hotline.
Looks like the key is to weigh ingredients exactly. Greta to know how much salt is going into bread!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Breadmaker

We got one for Christmas but I can't remember the model. The bread is great and the human element can be done in 5 mins. The loaf can be quite tall which can be an inconvience. Measuring the ingredients correctly is important as you can end up with some strange loafs otherwise. If it calls for Strong Bread flour than use it as the plain flour just does nto give good results.

Enjoy

Nogser

Re: Breadmaker

Is it worth it, as in the price of the ingredients.

Say a half decent loaf would cost just over 1 euro.
How much would the ingredients cost if you made your own?

Bread

You don't kneed a breadmaker to make bread! You just need a bowl, flour, yeast, water and salt. A fraction of the cost of buying and the taste of home baked bread is much much better.

bread makers

Well said, Christine,

A fool & his money etc etc ........

Re: bread makers

Without the bread machine you also need lots of time to let the dough rise and mind it. I've done it, if you have the time fair enough but I don't. The bread machines are quick and easy and the output is very tasty. Particularly lovely when you set it to run overnight. The smell of fresh bread fills the house and certainly helps get me out of bed.

Nogser

we have a Morphy Richards (Fastbake II I think)

I've always fancied a bread maker but she'd never have one. More clutter. This topic though has made me suggest one as a birthday present for me. My original choice was a DVD writer. I'd certainly have more fun with a bread maker. Cheese and fish-finger bread. Mmmm.

joxerdaly,
Did you get your bread maker yet. I've got official purchase authorisation so I'm fishing for good items. I notice the model you're getting is €160 in Argos. How much was yours incl delivery?

Purchase Approved

The Board of Directors has also given the go ahead for a purchase.

I'll be buying at Argos. I'm prepared to spend up to €120 and no less than €70 so I think that leaves the following choiuces:

1 - Kenwood BM200 Breadmaker

2 - Breadman Classic 11132 Stainless Steel Breadmaker

3 - Morphy Richards 48280

4 - Breville BR6 Rapid Bake

5 - Breville Antony Worrell Thompson Professional Breadmaker

The breadmaker must be able to fit in a lower kitchen unit press and stainless steel is probably out because they get really dirty looking.

Which of these represents best value for money? I'll do a consumer review search and post my results but if any can provide upfront info I'd be grateful.

Price of Panasonic through amazon.co.uk

The following shows Amazon.co.uk prices versus Argos Irl. The amazon price includes airmail delivery to Dublin and is based on €1 = STG£0.682171.

- Panasonic SD253 €133.28 (€30 cheaper than Argos Irl) (cat: 422/0525)

- Breville BR6 €88 (€4 dearer than Argos Irl) (cat: 421/3769)

- Morphy Richards FastBake 48280 €83.44 (€10 cheaper than Argos Irl) (cat: 421/1376)

Typical delivery charges (which are included in the above prices) is €12.

I still need to figure out which is best.

Re: Bread Makers

Making your own bread takes approx 15 minutes of actual effort. The rest of the time the bread is either proving or baking so you can be off doing other things.

Mine is Morphy Richards (not fastbake) and it works fine. I'm really crap at baking (and I hate it) but I've never made bad bread with the machine.

If I didn't have the breadmaker theres no way I'd even consider making bread - way too much effort and mess!

I have recently taken delivery of a Panasonic SD253 bought from Amazon for less than £80 with free p&p to a NI address.

I have had a go at a few loaves and they have turned out well. The special flour is expensive though. Does anyone know where you can buy this flour in bulk or at a discount?

Also, having read up on breadmakers, the cost per loaf does not include running costs. The thing is on for four hours per loaf - does anyone know what the running costs are?

GG

Running Costs of Breadmakers (or other kit)

The breadmaker will have a stainless steel tag showing model, serial number and also the power rating - shown in kilowatts (kw). Multiply the KW number by the number of hours of operation. The total is the number of "kilowatt-hours" (kWh)

You will know from your bill what the cost per kWh is, so multiply "kWh" by "cost per kWh" this gives you total cost.

I'm open to correction on this of course

Re: Running Costs of Breadmakers (or other kit)

The breadmaker will have a stainless steel tag showing model, serial number and also the power rating - shown in kilowatts (kw). Multiply the KW number by the number of hours of operation. The total is the number of "kilowatt-hours" (kWh)

Hi Imperator,

Thanks for pointing this out.

The lable states 505-550w so this is 50.5 - 55% of a kilowatt. A unit of electricity costs 13.85c (incl.VAT) so if a unit equals a kilowatt the sum is: 13.85c x 55% = 7.62c x 4 hours duration = 30.47 cent.

Therefore, the cost of a white loaf is estimated at 55p ( 80c ) according to the review giving a total of E1.10 for a loaf. This is more expensive than a non-brand name sliced loaf but less than an unsliced loaf from the bakery section of a supermarket. So it seems there is no real cost saving - just fresh bread with your choice of ingredients.

Re: Running Costs of Breadmakers (or other kit)

Forgot to ask, any tips on buying bulk/discounted flour?

Re: >>Bread Makers

Sorry to say this , but here in ROI there exists yet another cartel, flour. That's correct. The Irish mill(s) have effectively locked out competitors (aka Hovis). A hop, skip, and jump over the border brings a wealth of choices (and lower prices). So if you're goin' bring me back 15Kg of Hovis Granary flour.N.B.

Technically speaking, strong (bread) flour is 12%+ protein, which puts Tesco's Value flour (9.5% protein) in the same class as cream flour. I did mean to add that regardless of the financial comparision and ignoring the ambiance that baking bread lends, homebaking allows one to control the levels of fat and salt in their daily crust. The fat alone in four slices of facto-batch sustains an active child or woman for a day.

Breadmaker flour

Thanks Max, so its off to NI I go. Any idea (apart from supermarkets) where I can but this flour in bulk in counties Armagh or Down?

GG

Back