Key Post: Boston Hotels

Re: Or anyone else?

Sorry. Missed that Jane. In the end it was €620 for the two of us flying out on a Friday morning and returning early on the following Tuesday. That's in December.

Boston Flights

Hi Dougal,

Thanks for that, we looked at changing it to week Dec 7th to Dec 13th & got it for 622 E - Such a good deal !

Now I've just to figure out where we will stay. Kinda hard to figure out hotels/accom that is central, when I've never been before.

Re: Boston Flights

is a good landmark to work from. I've booked into the . It worked out at just over €290 for three nights. There have been a few recommendations in this thread already. One thing I'd advise would be to draw up a list and then search around for reviews on the hotels that you're thinking about. seemed to be the best source of information for me.

Bangs for your bucks in Boston

Dougal you'll love Boston. It is IRISH but HUGE IRISH! Just walking round the city centre (which has wonderful parks and public spaces) is exciting in itself.

It's got a reputation for being expensive but there are great bargains and the food is very good.

I was at a conference last year held in the Omni Parker which is central and reassuringly conservative and "quality" but as Ceri says in her post above, might be considered "dated" by some. It oozes history, is wood-panelling and bevelled-glass. I love those "fairytale" places myself but it's a matter of taste.

The Christian Science building is worth visiting and is about the size of Dublin!

The Boston Heritage Trail is a must. The "Back Bay" area has good music venues and clubs, art-galleries.......and you come across gems like the beautiful, productive and peaceful "allotments" right in the city centre, by the Stadium, where any evening you can chat with Bostonians who are growing produce and hoeing weeds as they have done since the Civil War, when they fed the people of the city when it was under siege.

It's a great place...........

Boston

Hi Dougal,

Just checked out the rates on Back Bay Hilton. Did you book online or ring up & get a further discount?

J

Re: Boston

Jane, I just booked online. I'm hoping to get an upgrade by indicating that it's a birthday weekend.

Anyone have any futher updates......esp the doubletree or the hilton back bay? Or the short rent apartments?

Boston

Thanks Dougal, good luck with that so !

We ended up booking an appartment in the Copley square area (Back Bay) via www.bostonbedandbreakfast...tions.htm. It seems to be a small family run business & I spoke to Lauren the owner. She was very nice & helpful. Gave me lots of good ideas & suggestions. I've to call her nearer to the time to see if she has any more good tips for me!. So through them we are staying in the www.copleyinn.com/ for $94 (plus tax) per room per night.

I also tried [broken link removed] original rate was $135 + tax per room per night. I asked for a better rate & was given $125 incl Tax per room per night. The copley inn still worked out cheaper so I went back to 82 Chandler & never heard from them again !

Free coupons www.mass-vacation.com/jsp...g_id=empty

Jane

More free guides....

Log onto this web site & select the "Travel Planner" it's completely free. Allow 2-3 weeks delivery time.

[broken link removed]

Re: More free guides....

Well we survived! I wish I could say the same for the credit card. Completely oblivious to any news about customs we literally went to town. There were 3 main places we went to. Filene's is a department store somewhat reminiscent of Arnotts/Clerys. Of great interest were the two levels in the basement where they just knock up to 75% off stuff before they give it away to charity. Across the street was Macy's. Enough said. Didn't spend too much time in there. The most impressive part was the Wrentham Village Premium Outlets. If you've been to the Premium Outlets in Orlando (not Belz) you'll have an idea of what this is like - except bigger. Maybe an extra 50 or 60 shops. Vastly discounted stuff. It's not in Boston city and you'll need to find some way to get out there. I'm sure there's some kind of bus service available. We met up with folks from a few years ago and they were good enough to take us out.

For me, the highlight was a computer fair that we went to on the Sunday. A nerdfest to beat all. Half price components - motherboards, CPUs, monitors, RAM, disk drives, etc.

Just to remind you we stayed in the Back Bay Hilton. About 15 mins walk from Boston Common/Public Garden. Another 5 mins on from that and your in Downtown Crossing. If you fancy, it you could wing it on the T (Boston's subway) but only went on this with our friends.

As for touristy things, there was a trolley stop outside the Hilton/Sheraton (where Aer Lingus staff stay) hotels and for about €20 you could hop on and hop off at any of the 17 stops. Plenty of history with Boston's Faneuil (fan-yool) Hall being the cradle of liberty.

Eating out was fine, didn't have any bad experiences. We chowed down in the Cactus Club (Mexican food - around the corner from the Hilton), Zuma (more Mexican - Quincy Market) and Fireflys (BBQ in Marlboro outside Boston - of cigarette fame).

All in all, a great weekend and thoroughly recommended especially if you book flights and hotel during the summer before the Christmas rush begins.

Glad you had a great time Dougal.

I got to go to the Square for excitement last week-end - fierce excitin' - you jealous? ;)

Nope. I'm sure I'll be subject to that particular passtime this weekend myself. Top tip: Park over in the estate beside the Abberley and walk over to the Square through the hole in the fence (or hop over the railing). Yes it's that time of year again.

As these posts are over 3 years old - does any one have more recent recommendations of hotels in Boston. Hoping to go later on in the year. Thanks

lived in Boston for the summer and went bk last yr.lived in dorcester stayed in chelsea last yr. try get out to wrentham for the bargains and defo go to salem its brilliant.i didnt really wanna go but really got into it then with all the witches and tours and stuff. shoping is great as its all on the one street with a huge h&m and dunkin donuts everywhere-love stawberry coolatas!!with xtra cream!!

We stayed in the Midtown - not the Ritz but good value and beside everything. hotels are very expensive in Boston. We just went for the shopping so wasnt in the room much suited us perfect - even my Mam who is v fussy!

Stayed in the Midtown aswell - as Shkyler said basic, but we found it spotless and in a fantasic location. Stayed in the Raddison last November, lovely hotel but considering we spent every day out exploring it was really just a place to sleep. Going back again this year and have booked the Midtown.

I've stayed in the Radisson and the Sheraton - both a good location near Boston Common. The Sheraton was by far the nicer room but we had a superior room there and just the basic room in the Radisson. Also recommend Wrentham for some bargains!

Was in Boston Last weekend and stayed at the Nine Zero Hotel - http://www.ninezero.com/

Great location, very smart, trendy and modern - Paid about $190 for a King Room ( cheapest rooms were for about $170) which I thought was good value for money given the quality of the place and its location

As an aside - shops in downtown Boston I found fairly disappointing (perhaps i was looking in the wrong places - around Downtown Crossing & Quincy Market mainly) ... but the outlets in Wrentham were I thought very good and worth the small journey out there.

Back